How to destroy / disable old hard drives ?

fasteddie

There was a recycling for old TVs , Computers , Printers , Monitors , etc a week ago . I pulled 3 hard drives out of a couple of desk top computers because I didn't know if I had banking information or other personal info on them . So , do I just smash them or what so that they are totally worthless ?  Any suggestions ? 

Surest way is with a degauser which costs thousands of dollars. Sends an electro-magnetic charge through it and destroys everything. Less expensive is a software that'll write gibberish over everything. The cheapest way is to set them up 100 yards down range and put several rounds through them with something 30 caliber or higher and hope that you're not important enough for people to send an entire team of forensic experts to scavenge what little is left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Surest way is with a degauser which costs thousands of dollars. Sends an electro-magnetic charge through it and destroys everything. Less expensive is a software that'll write gibberish over everything. The cheapest way is to set them up 100 yards down range and put several rounds through them with something 30 caliber or higher and hope that you're not important enough for people to send an entire team of forensic experts to scavenge what little is left.

Didn't know we had some high profile folks on here to worry about that type of sensitive data.

Would a .30 cal rifle round penetrate the shell in one hit? Good experiment.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Didn't know we had some high profile folks on here to worry about that type of sensitive data.

Would a .30 cal rifle round penetrate the shell in one hit? Good experiment.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

my weatherby surely would. Probably pass through all 3 and keep going

You Can't Beat My Meat!

• Like 1

I am surprised how heavy the hard drives are for their size . Maybe when my stomach heals from my operation I can give the sledge hammer a workout . I just didn't trust any company that would recycle computers to have any hard drives . 

• Like 1

They're heavy because they're packed pretty tight. I'm surprised Espresso had luck with the hammer. I tried with a ball bean hammer and it was like smacking a phone booth. Made small dents on the outside only but more damage to the concrete floor under it. Maybe a sledgehammer would work better.

Ive always wondered this too, i have a few old laptops i never threw out for these reasons.

Laptop hard drives are tiny and flimsy.  You can beat the crap out of those with a hammer easily.