Anti xbow question

stoneam2006

As far as Im concerned , if you want to use an X bow..go ahead. I really don't care that much. But I think  that most pro X bow people have a problem admitting that the reason why they prefer them is because using one is easier than using a regular bow.

Far higher % of hunters that refuse to admit they use a compound instead of a recurve because it is easier.

Most who use one and are anti crossbow will not because they want their level of

easier to be the bar.

My memory isn't good enough to know where each of you falls on that.

Me - I hunt with a recurve 90% of the time but support full inclusion.

Have a couple stands that are better suited for a compound and generally shot a deer/year with it from one of them.

Just no fun to shoot it - probably don't average 50 shots a year with it.

Personal experiance my bow is much easier than a crossbow especially when holding at draw waiting for a minute for the deer to step out.. hold a brick out in your hand for a minute.. that's a biw, try holding a cinder block out that's a crossbow.

Now if your a nice blind with a rest or bench maybe but I never have game walk right where I want them when rested, it's not like a gun where it's just a barrel sticking out it has these big clunky limbs that will find anything in the way to hit..

Everyone said how easy it is ,little different relearning how to hunt with one..

Is it easier to raise, draw and hold a bow without getting busted, by a deer, or slowly shoulder an already cocked X bow  and sight through a scope without getting busted?? Is it easier to draw and shoot an X bow from a seated position or is it easier to do the same with a regular bow??

Again ,,I don't care if you hunt with a crossbow….

I never have been busted raising or drawing my bow, but I will say it's far easier to shoot off a bench, as for sitting and shooting bow I have no problems with either except the crossbow with causes clearance problems and is way to heavy to hold waiting for that last step. My bow 80% let off and I only shoot 50 lbs so only holding 10 lbs in a comfortable position is possible for long periods, unlike holding up a weight at arms legnth with only gravity working upon it.

• Like 1

Either way, if it's legal they can do it and it's not up to me to tell someone they can't. Do I have to like it? nope. Am I going to lose sleep over it? lol hardly.

That's where I'm at, but if you're gonna start a thread and ask a question, don't get all butt hurt when I give my opinion.

• Like 2

Not really we put scopes on our guns have binos and rangefinders so we know exactly yardage use big broadhead instead of sharpened rocks it's about making it as efficient as possible and with efficiency comes ease....so of its easier and more productive to use xbow why wouldn't we...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

And that's why you are so dumbfounded by anti-crossbow guys.

The season was intended to be a challenge, not a way to control the deer population like the morons at the DEC thought. It's meant for those who wanted to push themselves to a higher skill and ability. Because you don't understand that and view hunting as killing is why you don't understand why we are so passionate about preserving it.

I'm only 32, but this culture of everything should just be automated and easy is ridiculous. Hard work got me where i am, not taking shortcuts.

That's where I'm at, but if you're gonna start a thread and ask a question, don't get all butt hurt when I give my opinion.

Butt hurt? I asked for a honest logical answer and you said a clown hunting invasion....

Edit....also said xbow hunters are all noobs.....disrespectful not butt hurt

Edited by stoneam2006

Far higher % of hunters that refuse to admit they use a compound instead of a recurve because it is easier.

I would too. I also think there's a line of challenge. That said I've been looking for a recurve for some time I just keep having kids and changing jobs haha

• Like 1

Butt hurt? I asked for a honest logical answer and you said a clown hunting invasion....

Edit....also said xbow hunters are all noobs.....disrespectful not butt hurt

What's logical to you is illogical to others. An opinion cannot be right or wrong.

What's difference?

The thread was about how people feel, so opinions are what you get.

I don't see the big deal with the x-bow. I really don't see it changing the early archery season all that much. You may get a few hunters who don't know squat, but you will get that with a gun, a vert bow, or an x-bow.

I guess people forgot how last bow season we had someone using a compound bow make a thread about being proud to break the law. Never seen that from a x-bow hunter or a gun hunter on here. So there are "clowns" using a compound too. Just sayin'.

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 1

I'm definitely pro-Xbow, mainly because I'm retired, have had to reduce my compound bow's draw wgt and my full draw hold time is pretty dismal. I've bow hunted for ~40yrs, so the Xbow is a great compromise for me. I also like the idea that youths can get into the early season deer hunting w/o a lot of dedicated, lengthty practicing with a vertical bow, Those of you that mentioned work & person obligations interfering with your vertical bow proficiency should be able to relate to any 16yo having social, athletic &/or academic obligations resulting in the same time constraint issue as an adult!?!!

As far as the "noob" factor, think you can blame the NYS legislators for their 2014 definition of what a Xbow is, when it should be used and what licenses are required. What the group that lobbied again Xbow implementation & the specific laws enacted, do allow an individual to go into a big-box sporting goods store, buy a Xbow. a ML license and hunt the same day. The legislators dropped the ball not requiring the bow safety course as a prerequisite. Of course that would have admitted the Xbow was more similar to other vertical archery tackle than a rifle. It did open Pandora's box...!

Those of you that bow hunt with your weapon of choice, whether long, recurve or compound bow and are upset because some one on an adjoining property chooses to use a Xbow which might have some advantages over you ..... IMHO, seems some what hypocritical!

X-bows don't bother me one bit. In fact I see myself using one down road at some time. If someone wanted to hunt my property with one it would be fine. You will always have some newbies harvesting big deer their first few times out.  I wouldn't look down on this as taking away my chance to get a big one with my bow. I would be thankful this hunter was able to harvest the deer without wounding it. My wall will have a spot one day for a deer that was killed with the x-bow and it won't feel or look any different than the ones up there to date.

No - I'll repeat:

2 seasons.

ALL bows - recurve, lb, compound and crossbow - in bow season.

All guns - modern, muzzle loader and air (big game)in regular.

It really is that simple.

And, when you become DEC Commissioner or someone who has the power to mandate such policy, I might even back such a proposal. But until then, I have to deal with the realities of what's on the books and what history tells us is most likely to be our future. Already we have moves toward mixing the seasons. We have muzzleloaders being stirred in and being threatened to be included as well as special rifle seasons being added to bow seasons. I see no indication that your proposal will ever see the light of day. In fact, there is more evidence that people will be (and are already) questioning why there is a special bow season at all.

Completly different...many of us WANT to shoot a deer with a arrow off a string during archery season....it's just horizontal instead of vertical

It's not "completely different" you said you should be able to do something simply because you want to, and it should be your choice. And I am telling you that there are rifle hunters and shotgunners who want exactly the same thing.

• Like 1

How is this for twisted logic, I would actually prefer some hunters to use a crossbow in archery season.

I shoot my recurve at least 5 days a week to remain sufficiently proficient to hunt with it.  I suspect I could shoot a crossbow 5 times per year and be sufficiently proficient to hunt with it, but I like the challenge of the recurve.  For me, a compound falls somewhere in between those levels of practice. Not everyone has the time for, or desires that extra level of challenge in hunting.  Do I want the guy who hasn't spent much time preparing to hunt with a bow to hunt with it?  Nope.  Do I want the hunter to have to sit out that part of the season?  Not really.

I would rather see the hunter who doesn't have the time or desire to dedicate to being proficient with a more difficult weapon use the easier weapon.  Less wounded deer and more people included in this wonderful pastime.  I think all agree its harder to kill a deer with a recurve/longbow than compound and harder with a compound than crossbow.  Who cares.  As long as you are proficient with the weapon you choose, go hunt.  The only reason I would even oppose guns in archery season is because they make too much noise.

One day I may decide I don't have the time to dedicate to remaining proficient with a bow and the crossbow may keep me in the game.  Until then, all of your crossbow hunters, please leave the big bucks for me.  lol

There is not one element in your argument that does not equally apply to the justification of guns in place of bows. I know about the "bang" argument, but if we are concerned about the potential for bowhunters not mastering their weapons, then we are perhaps saying that a bow is not a proper deer hunting weapon because there are some people who will not master the weapon.

We cannot say that just because a weapon can be used irresponsibly we need to allow more efficient weapons. I think you can see where that logic would lead us.

One day I may decide I don't have the time to dedicate to remaining proficient with a bow and the crossbow may keep me in the game. 

It will keep you out in the field during a season that was designed for bows, but you will be playing in a different "game". When you are unable to remain proficient with your vertical bow, picking up a xbow will not mean that you are still bowhunting anymore than picking up a gun would mean that you are still bowhunting. It's a minor point, but just a clarification of what the xbow is really doing for those that have lost the physical ability to bowhunt. I believe it is a common mis-statement when people say that the crossbow allows one to bowhunt past their physical capabilities. It simply allows one to use a different weapon during bowseason.

My answer to that scenario is that when I am incapable of bowhunting (as will happen some day) my hunting will rely on my .270 and I will hunt in a season that was designed for that.

• Like 1

If a hunter were to approach the early deer season with the alternate option of a draw lock attached to a standard compound bow, would Anti-Xbow-ers be opposed to that? I think most agree that a disability or age reasons are ok. But the new bill proposes the use of draw locks will no longer require a disability permit. Essentially the guy has got a vertical crossbow with no disability. 

That is one thing that makes perfect sense to me. There is no justification for allowing crossbows and then continue to disallow drawlocks for able bodied hunters. They are just two minor variations of the same thing.

Ha-ha-ha .... looky here, we have just fought the crossbow battle all over again. We could have saved a lot of time and went back into the archives and copy and pasted the jillions of threads that have already been posted for the last bunch of years. Funny how none of the discussion has changed a bit over all those years. Same old points and insults and remarks.

This is an endless argument that really has absolutely nothing to do about the weapons involved. It is really about mind-sets and attitudes and individual reasons for hunting. And since we are all individuals, the debate will go on forever.

• Like 4

And that's why you are so dumbfounded by anti-crossbow guys.

The season was intended to be a challenge, not a way to control the deer population like the morons at the DEC thought. It's meant for those who wanted to push themselves to a higher skill and ability. Because you don't understand that and view hunting as killing is why you don't understand why we are so passionate about preserving it.

I'm only 32, but this culture of everything should just be automated and easy is ridiculous. Hard work got me where i am, not taking shortcuts.

Compounds are no harder than xbow imo....some instances each shine and the other doesn't....I don't want to control deer pop with xbow but I do think it will help where needed