Live from the turkey woods 2016

turkeyfeathers

Well we called in two big guys from 400 yds away on other side of property but only to about 200 yds. We decided to exit the blind and walk behind the house and barn to get closer to them. We got to about 150 yds from them and it started to rain hard. Put out a few calls but no response. They went back into the woods where they came from. It was exciting though. We came in for breakfast. Hoping they cross over in the next 4 hours. Going to sit on the deck and watch them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Had 4 or 5 talking, but hens went right to them. Still gobbling once in awhile. Deer harassing the hell out of us today. Blowing and crashing around all morning. Not doing us any favors.

Can't hunt much longer, sis is in town from Oregon.

For last hour we've had 4-6 birds gobbling their heads off. As close as 100 yards but out of sight. Couldn't draw them in. Now they're 250 yards away. Ugh

immediately after I did fly down the woods erupted in our area. Guessing 4,5 , maybe 6 birds hammering. Daughter had gun up for a long time. She was shaking ???? Once again they narrowed the gap but didn't fully committ. Been quiet for awhile now.

post-4567-0-24561600-1462623821_thumb.pn

Edited by turkeyfeathers

Another morning of hearing and seeing zip. I can start to feel my interest in turkey hunting waning again this year. It gets old getting up at 4 am and getting skunked over and over again.

I hear ya, at least if I hear a few gobbles I know I'm somewhat in the game that day ... Drives me nuts sitting there on a silent day ....

• Like 1

Set alarm for 5 and just couldn't do it this sinus infection has got me coughing so much I would clear out the woods! Finally got up about 8:30 and prepped a pork butt and tossed it in the smoker. Grabbed my gear and a handfull of cough drops. Just slipped in behind the in laws hoping to get lucky. I thought I heard one gobble way the heck off. But other than that it's peaceful. Hopefully tomorrow morning I will get my son out before dawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alarm went off and rain. Woke back up around 9 and the sun was out. Had to be home by 11 so skipped today. Frustrated here as well. 4 days out and not seeing or hearing anything.

Tomorrow and Monday are no go, back at it Tuesday.

Patience finally paid off at about 9:30 this morning... 20.2 pounds on the digital scale,  10 inch beard and 1 inch spurs...

Never heard a gobble until about 9:15...

Every now and then even a blind hog finds an acorn...

• Like 15

Alarm went off and rain. Woke back up around 9 and the sun was out. Had to be home by 11 so skipped today. Frustrated here as well. 4 days out and not seeing or hearing anything.

Tomorrow and Monday are no go, back at it Tuesday.

Strange, I live in Charlton and there was never a drop of rain. You are in Schenectady right?

Was light more of a mist. Just tired of sitting on the wet ground too, not good for a bad back.

Charlton? Just outside Grenville? Drive through there all the time when hunting NZ or just going to my buddies house.

bought one for daughter. I've used it. Awesome Saves my back and keeps you off the ground

post-4567-0-57391800-1462639859_thumb.pn

• Like 5

bought one for daughter. I've used it. Awesome Saves my back and keeps you off the ground

Might get away with that purchase. Told the better half I was buying a blind and she wasn't happy. Say's I spent enough on hunting/shooting gear in the past two weeks, so that was vetoed.

Might get away with that purchase. Told the better half I was buying a blind and she wasn't happy. Say's I spent enough on hunting/shooting gear in the past two weeks, so that was vetoed.

Wal Mart had a very similar model on sale for $19.99

• Like 1

I shot this bird at 5:39am, 10" beard, 1" spurs, 21.5 pounds. Tagged out and very happy I don't have to get up at 4am anymore.

post-3175-0-36138500-1462643434_thumb.jp

Unfortunately, while cleaning the bird I was not careful with the game shears and sliced my right middle finger open. I needed 5 stitches to close it up. Not a good way to end the day!

post-3175-0-77234800-1462644279_thumb.jp

Edited by Otto
  • Like 8