WHERE ARE ALL THE DEER ???

hunterman7956

IT SEEMS THEY WOUND UP HERE ...

DEC ECOs Uncover Illegal Venison Operation

A two-year investigation by New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Environmental Conservation Officers (ECOs) uncovered an illegal venison sales operation in the town of South Edmeston, Otsego County, DEC announced today.

Members of DEC's Bureau of Environmental Crimes Investigation (BECI) unit executed a search warrant recently at a butcher shop called Farmers Place (256 County Highway 20) and found more than 3,600 pounds of illegal venison meat and products.

The owner Joseph Leonard, 73, "The Deer Man," was arrested and charged with Felony Illegal Commercialization of Wildlife, Felony Grand Larceny, Criminal Solicitation 4th degree, and Felony Illegal Scheme to Defraud 1st Degree after he allegedly sold illegal venison products to undercover investigators.

The manager of the company, Tamra Hoag, 57, was also arrested and charged with Illegal Commercialization of Wildlife and Illegal Scheme to Defraud 1st Degree. Both Leonard and Hoag were arraigned in the Town of Edmeston criminal court on Tuesday and are due back in court on June 6 at 6 p.m.

It is illegal to sell white-tailed deer meat and deer parts in New York State.

Hoag...thought that sounded familiar...we bought one of our properties from a guy named Hoag... Glad they caught and charged him...but hope they find out how and from where he received all the venison...and a few others get nailed in the process if need be. Hope it wasn't a donation scam...that could turn some hunters off from it...

I live in the area. Purely speculation on my part, but there are lots of Amish that have moved in the area in the last decade. Although we always see their horses and buggies, and hear a ton of shots, rarely do we ever see deer hanging anywhere, or on their buggies. Not an accusation, just an observation.

• Like 1

I don't condone what the guy did, but most folks who drop their deer off at a processor are not too concerned about how much or what meat they get back.  If they were, they would cut them up themselves, It is not that difficult.  Maybe a few more folks will start doing their own after reading this.   Then they can get all of their own meat back, and learn the best places to place their bullets.     

• Like 3

I first used them 3 years ago gave them 2 deer one was much bigger then the other and when I got deer back I received the same amount for each deer. I wondered why Tammy (manager) wouldn't weigh the deer now I know why ....But they do make great sausage ,hot dogs and various other meats from deer .... stopped using them last year.

Edited by hunterman7956

I don't condone what the guy did, but most folks who drop their deer off at a processor are not too concerned about how much or what meat they get back.  If they were, they would cut them up themselves, It is not that difficult.  Maybe a few more folks will start doing their own after reading this.   Then they can get all of their own meat back, and learn the best places to place their bullets.     

X2 !!!

Perhaps this will be a warning to the processors in my area that keep a clipboard of people who don't hunt and want venison.

I once brought in a doe that dressed out at 171lbs and got 35lbs of meat back.  Kinda figured the people on his clipboard got most of it.

I live in the area. Purely speculation on my part, but there are lots of Amish that have moved in the area in the last decade. Although we always see their horses and buggies, and hear a ton of shots, rarely do we ever see deer hanging anywhere, or on their buggies. Not an accusation, just an observation.

The Amish community will be up in arms after they read your post ... o wait ,nevermind.

• Like 4

They process 1,500 deer a year , it seems he shaves a couple pounds off each one , rather then poach 80 deer . My guess anyway , seems a lot less labor intensive .

I agree with Larry. In the 2 years they charged him for, they allege 3 tons of venison. That equals 6000 pounds. Since he processed 1500 deer each year, he only needed to take 2 pounds from each customer to get his 3 tons.

I started the other thread on this. I did business with him once, and only once. The owner isn't Hoag. Hoag is just an employee.

I am hoping - upon conviction - that he is required to make restitution to everyone on his customer list. I won't qualify since it has been over 20 years since I went near the place.

• Like 2

Regarding the title of this thread, I see no lack of deer in Edmeston or surrounding towns. Leonard processed 1500 each year. That suggests no shortage here. He doesn't get all the deer. He isn't the only butcher in Edmeston or nearby.

It was just a title no need to get your panties all up in a bunch.LOL It's called a leader and if you bothered to READ it clearly states that Tammy is Manager nowhere does it state that she is the owner and one more thing last year the deer they took in was roughly half of the normal amount.as of the first week in December

• Like 1

Perhaps this will be a warning to the processors in my area that keep a clipboard of people who don't hunt and want venison.

I once brought in a doe that dressed out at 171lbs and got 35lbs of meat back.  Kinda figured the people on his clipboard got most of it.

that's a monster of a doe.  I'd think even with a processor you'd get at least 60lbs.  I usually get around 45-50lbs from a doe that would weigh that much if I strapped a bag of corn on their back.  definitely got hosed.

• Like 2