ADK Deer Hunting

Padre86

I'll be heading into the ADK's for some more remote deer hunting this coming season.  I've already spent a few days heading out to areas to scout and get a feel for the terrain and sign.  I've been focused so far on the Blue Ridge Wilderness area and the Moose River Plains Wild Forest.  I've seen very little in the way of deer sign (scat, hoof prints, ect.), though I think I've come across game trails in these 2 areas.   My questions:

1) I've read that deer don't need to drink from bodies of water nearly as much as we do since they get a lot of their water from the plants they eat.  Does this match up with people's experiences?  Is posting up on a lake shore or creek a good way to get a deer?  Is that ethical or legal?  I know that shooting an animal in water isn't allowed, but what about shooting one as it stands on the bank and drinks from a lake or other body of water?

2) I've covered a lot of ground during several days of hiking (probably 10-14 miles in total so far).  Through the course of that hiking, I've come across more open areas (relative to the rest of the terrain); either blow-down or old clear cuts.  Should I focus my scouting and hunting efforts on these areas?  As I understand it, deer, even the in ADK's, are more likely to travel and frequent these relatively open areas.

3) Are there any specific plants or trees that deer feed on and I should be on the lookout for as I hike through these wilderness areas?

4) Are the deer in the ADK's as skittish as the deer in Western NY?  I know from experience that the deer in my area of NY (near Rochester) were absolutely loathe to move outside of morning and sunset hours.  Once the light hits and the day begins in earnest, they tend to sit in place, likely because they know that hunters are out and about.  Are the deer in the ADK's the same, or are they less educated on hunter activity?

Any feedback would be awesome.

Edited by Padre86

You can not fire a gun across open water,...check the regs for the details. I think deep woods deer are at least as alert as "civilized " deer....they haven't been able to acclimate to human smell and activity. I would first identify the seasons food availability for the areas you are going to ...any mast, late season berries, new growth, perhaps new logged areas. In the Moose Area I have found many water crossing / shore sites of repeated activity. Expect to put much more time in. Hunting the north country is as much about being there as hoping to get a deer.

Deer density is very low in the plains... best chance of ADK hunting is on snow in the deep woods. When the woods is dry and noisy it will be nearly impossible to catch up to a whitetail. You need to also remember that food source is very limited in the ADK's and it is hard to pattern whitetails by feeding habits. It is entirely possible if you aren't a tracker to hunt your entire life in the ADK's and never see a buck. Having said all that, the better you get to know the woods you hunt the better your chances of picking up deer sign and getting a handle on deer activity. For some the rule is... "If there's no snow... don't go." Unless of course you're like me... and it isn't all about killing a deer. The ADK's will definitely test your hunting abilities. Good Luck... have fun!

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 4

If your goal is to take any Adirondack whitetail, you can greatly improve your odds making your hunt during the 1 week ML season.  Does are legal then.  If you wait for rifle season, it will be bucks only, which are far less common.  Key on the food sources.  Look for white oaks on ridges.   Don't overlook thick, brushy areas close to the roads, especially if overgrown pastures are nearby.     Old apple orchards are another hot-spot, as are pine trees near swampy creek-bottoms.   Later in the season, when there is snow, tracking is very popular.   Sometimes "backtracking" is effective to learn the feeding patterns, then setup an ambush a few days later.   Still hunting with a good pair of binoculars has accounted for many an Adirondack buck and it is a lot easier against a snowy white background.  

You can get a taste at what the scenery up there adds to the hunting experience by viewing some of the videos Robin has posted in this section.   It is so awesome, that actual deer encounters are not necessary to enjoy the hunt, and come home happy.   Of course, when you do manage to bag one up there, you get a little taste of what Heaven must be like.   I have only sent a couple deer to Heaven up there (one doe and one nice buck, the heaviest one I have ever taken), but those stand out in my memory far more than any of the those I have taken in the flatlands of Western NY.  Personally, I would take an Adirondack deer hunt over anything else this world has to offer.            

You can not fire a gun across open water,...check the regs for the details. I think deep woods deer are at least as alert as "civilized " deer....they haven't been able to acclimate to human smell and activity. I would first identify the seasons food availability for the areas you are going to ...any mast, late season berries, new growth, perhaps new logged areas. In the Moose Area I have found many water crossing / shore sites of repeated activity. Expect to put much more time in. Hunting the north country is as much about being there as hoping to get a deer.

I had read that taking big game in water was illegal.  I had never seen anything about shooting over water...I'll have to read through the regs again though.  I'll spend more time looking for the food sources you mentioned.  Thanks for the input.

Deer density is very low in the plains... best chance of ADK hunting is on snow in the deep woods. When the woods is dry and noisy it will be nearly impossible to catch up to a whitetail. You need to also remember that food source is very limited in the ADK's and it is hard to pattern whitetails by feeding habits. It is entirely possible if you aren't a tracker to hunt your entire life in the ADK's and never see a buck. Having said all that, the better you get to know the woods you hunt the better your chances of picking up deer sign and getting a handle on deer activity. For some the rule is... "If there's no snow... don't go." Unless of course you're like me... and it isn't all about killing a deer. The ADK's will definitely test your hunting abilities. Good Luck... have fun!

Yeah, I've noticed that even hiking and camping, it's hard to move anywhere without creating some noise...the undergrowth, fallen leaves and sticks are everywhere so every footfall makes a noise.  I'd prefer to hunt the deer in the snow as well...tracking and movement should be somewhat easier.  But I'm planning for the worst and hoping for the best...if there is no snow, I'll be out there all the same.

If your goal is to take any Adirondack whitetail, you can greatly improve your odds making your hunt during the 1 week ML season.  Does are legal then.  If you wait for rifle season, it will be bucks only, which are far less common.  Key on the food sources.  Look for white oaks on ridges.   Don't overlook thick, brushy areas close to the roads, especially if overgrown pastures are nearby.     Old apple orchards are another hot-spot, as are pine trees near swampy creek-bottoms.   Later in the season, when there is snow, tracking is very popular.   Sometimes "backtracking" is effective to learn the feeding patterns, then setup an ambush a few days later.   Still hunting with a good pair of binoculars has accounted for many an Adirondack buck and it is a lot easier against a snowy white background.      

So there are no Deer Management Permits issued for regular season in the ADK WMU's?  Only Buck's during regular season?  I had no idea.  Well that hunt is going to be a little harder than what I originally anticipated.  

I have hunted the ADKs my entire life and the only advice that I can give you is to be patient.  If you run into logging, it will be on private land as there is no logging allowed on state land.  Therein lies the problem....finding food.  Deer densities are low and the ones that are there tend to gravitate towards private land where the food is more plentiful.  That's not to say that there are no nice bucks on state land, but be prepared to put in a lot of work in order to find one and be ready to shoot because they often surprise you when you see one.  They don't stick around long for a shot. There home ranges are also a lot bigger than those that live in areas that have more food.  I now lease some land with a couple of buddies in the Finger Lakes and am happy to actually see deer as there have been many years that I have eaten tag soup and the only deer that I saw were does.  

• Like 1

I have hunted the adks for last few years and always try to go during loader season to be able to take a doe.. it's tough country and I have never had suck a hard time locating deer they are so far arena few between. It's always a great time and there is always a chance to take a bear when that's open too...I have seen fisher and Martin up there while deer hunting but have yet to get a shot on a deer...good luck enjoy and don't get discouraged getting skunked this year gives you ideas for next

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Been hunting Moose River Plains/Blue Ridge/West Canadian Lakes area since 1991 on and off.  Since I got lucky in 2000 my buddies only want to hunt this remote area.  Take it as an adventure because it is some of the hardest hunting in the state with very few deer in it.  I drove the entire park after 2 days of snow and only found 2 sets of doe tracks crossing the road just to give you and idea and I covered over 30 miles.  More tracks found in the woods vs deer crossing the road, not that they don't but sometimes it seems to be a barrier.

I have never found a clear cut, apple tree or an oak ridge in this area.  I have found food sources but most of the food seems to be the new vegetation in rivers and mast crops like beach nuts.  Like mentioned before food is a hard thing to key in on, it is all over the place for them.  No farms or houses to key in on unless you hunt near towns which really is not deep woods.  

1)Hunting lake or river edges can be good spots especially if it is a pinch point.  Do not shoot any deer in water or over a body of water, in NY it is illegal as far as I know.  Nothing ethically wrong with hunting these areas.  Deer need water, if they are not getting enough from the vegetation they will more than likely need to drink.  That can be hard to pin point also as the ADK has many rivers, small streams and swamps that can satisfy their thirst.

2) Focus on open area's is ok but concentrate on the sides, bucks tend to like thick cover that masks their movement.   Be vigilant in your inspections, is the area browsed, tracks, doe or buck tracks.   Swamps are a good place to find tracks along with rivers and lake edges but you will need to cover some ground.

3) Only thing I have found that I could rely on was beechnuts.  Again food is very hard to pin point, they can eat at any location.  Small streams and swamps tend to hold food deer like.   This is my worst area of knowledge.

4) Just like people they all have personalities.  Some will run a half mile at the smell of humans.  Others not so much.  To me they seem just as skittish as any deer not use to people or who like to avoid people.

Do you plan on using bow or gun.  I have not bow hunted the area in 2 years, thinking about doing a scouting/hunting trip early October.  Such a nice time of the year but the vegetation is still covering much and seeing past 30-40 yards in most of my spots is impossible. 

Some other posts about the subject, good info!

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/23282-first-time-big-woods-hunting/page-2

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/19997-when-the-deer-move/

• Like 2

If you run into logging, it will be on private land as there is no logging allowed on state land.

Just wanted to clear this up.. there IS logging on state lands in the park.. It is different than hunting the isolated forest lands but recently logged areas are much easier to find the deer in..

Tracking is big in Maine just like the Adks, maybe a book from hunters in those areas would be helpful to you too.

NFA, I got to see guys looking for tracks in Maine that drive hundreds of miles some days. They also work in crews covering more distance that way, I even saw guys communicating on CB radios.

It seemed effective as I saw a couple hanging and in the back of trucks after just a dusting of snow. I was impressed to say the least.

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 2

I have hunted the ADKS since I was a young kid with some success.

Get a gps and a map and a compass and don't ever forget any of them. Get boots that are comfortable and light. My success has come from covering a lot of miles, sometimes 10+ miles a day. The important part of this is knowing when to move fast and when to slow down.

I pack very light and carry light guns that have had the barrels sawed off for better portability.

Most of my success has been when I found a spot with buck sign where I can see a long ways. I have shot a bunch of bucks over 150yds in the ADKS. My buck I shot last year I shot in a spot I had found 3 days earlier and it was 3 miles from the road. When u find a spot that has buck sign you want to be there before light. This usually means early mornings and long walks in the dark "compass and gps."

Hunting the ADKS is my personal favorite place to hunt and can be very rewarding and very frustrating! My cousin and I have had a camp for 11 years and he has yet to kill a buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Some things I have used over the years.

Hike up high early and still hunt/stalking downhill while inspecting for sign.  If you have a good area with deer this is a great way to hunt and you can do it very slowly if you can get in undetected. 

Get a good pair of binoculars they will help when scanning the end or beginning of rivers, swamps and any other thick pinch points deer use to cross or bed in including ridge tops and sides.

Find the swamps, deer like swamps for cover, security and food.  Rivers and streams hold food deer like check them good.  October or later check for beechnut and other mast crops in the higher elevations.  Scrapes and rubs are great to key in on early season but during rut look for the doe.

Learn how to talk to deer, I can not explain how much this and tracking has helped me advance in my personal knowledge of deer.  This is a great way to spot deer when the season is off or you want to see if deer are in a swamp and jump them out.   Peter Fiduccia is da man!  Love his videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rrOWSZOCq8

This next one is great to pull in doe, I have used it many times still hunting and had doe as close as 4-5 ft before spotting me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Udgb_imWM

If we get snow get out and follow the first track you find and see where it takes you.  Usually it will cross other tracks and then you found a X to put on the GPS.  I tend to find doe with young stay in the lower land, valleys and swamp areas more than bucks that like the higher elevation.  Bucks swagger and have a wider track than doe that walk a thin line.  Track a buck can tell you his size, rough weight and antler width if your lucky.  Benoit videos are great along with the Salerno brothers for great deer hunting info.

Cover as much area as possible when scouting, deer know the sound of human hikers is different than hunters and see it as less of a threat but will still run usually unless they freeze and let you pass.  Find the Doe!  It's as simple as finding the core area of the doe and making sure you are in it during rut because that is where the bucks will be looking for them.

If you find no sign go to a different area, don't waist to much time scouting an area with no sign. 

Number one tip is enjoy your time in these remote locations where many other hunters say no deer roam and don't give up, ever!  Be safe and prepared, these woods can be a beautiful landscape that can turn into a unforgiving place of isolation and calamity when things go bad. 

I can promise you this:  If you get a deer it will be an experience of a lifetime!  Remember to thank your prey for all that it has given you!

Congrats on your quest for an ADK deer, I wish you the best of luck and hope you get lucky this year!  

• Like 4

As mentioned, be patient and make sure you have a GPS and a compass and map. Batteries die, especially in really cold temps. So a back-up isn't an option.

Be prepared and don't take the ADK's lightly.

Are the deer more skittish? Yes! If you get out of the suburban areas they will hear, smell, and see you way before you know they were even there. IF you find out they were there.

As mentioned, be patient and make sure you have a GPS and a compass and map. Batteries die, especially in really cold temps. So a back-up isn't an option.

Be prepared and don't take the ADK's lightly.

Are the deer more skittish? Yes! If you get out of the suburban areas they will hear, smell, and see you way before you know they were even there. IF you find out they were there.

I won't say if they are more or less skittish, but I will say they are more curious. Once you get off the road there is a good chance that a deer hasn't seen a human before. I have had deer see me and or smell me and still walk up to me curiously. Never a big buck but I have had mature bucks give me 2nd chances that a mature deer in other areas would have never given me.

• Like 1

The regs just state that it is illegal to take a deer or bear while it is in water..

Manner of Taking

It is unlawful to:

• Take big game while the deer or bear is in water.
  • Possess a firearm of any description when bowhunting or when accompanying a person bowhunting during special archery seasons.
  • Make, set or use a salt lick on land inhabited by deer or bear.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

I won't say if they are more or less skittish, but I will say they are more curious. Once you get off the road there is a good chance that a deer hasn't seen a human before. I have had deer see me and or smell me and still walk up to me curiously. Never a big buck but I have had mature bucks give me 2nd chances that a mature deer in other areas would have never given me.

Yes, the Whitetail deer is a curious creature. They at times do walk into a hunters kill zone. Not very often in the thick woods that are a big part of the ADK's. I am not trying to argue, but if you are hunting public land a deer sighting in even the lower ADK's around Caroga can be rare. You get into the areas, the OP said, the odds get harder. You get up around Malone or Au Sable, odds get worse on public land.

Water was a key element in both Adirondack deer that I managed to harvest over the last 5 or 6 years.   The first was a big doe I took with my ML, on private land, up on an oak-covered ridge, near a small lake about 30 miles from the northern edge of the Adirondack park.   I knew there were deer in the area, having heard some "snorts" while out fishing on the lake.   The next morning, I snuck up into the general area before daylight, but when I saw several deer after daybreak, they were on the next ridge, and well beyond the effective 125 yard range of my in-line ML.  Persistance pays off however, and the following year, I was right up on that ridge at sunrise, as a group of 5 antlerless deer ascended towards my position.  The largest doe was out front, clearly the leader of the group.   When she reached about 30 yards and stood broadside, I put a bullet behind her shoulder.

This was an extremely remote area, and I have to believe this was the first encounter these deer had with a hunter, based on her reaction after taking the bullet.   She calmly walked closer to me, stopping about 10 yards away, staring in apparent disbelief.   Soon her knees began to buckle, and she tumbled down the steep incline.  Clearly she had no clue what had hit her.  With no snow and extremely noisy walking conditions, that harvest was completely dependent on being in the right place at the right time, based on a food source.   

The buck I killed right on the Northern edge of the park, 2 years ago was on the far bank of a creek, a mile or so above a beaver dam.    That was late in rifle season, when downed leaves and a complete blanket of snow made visibility much easier.   From high up on a ridge, I could see that buck coming from miles away, as he walked along the opposite bank of the creek.  His body was so big, that at first I thought it was a moose.   I missed on my first well-rested shot with my 30/06, probably because it came from a cold, lubricated barrel, complicated by a little "buck fever".   My second shot, taken offhand when he reached the next opening, also missed.  By divine providence, he must have heard that second shot, above the noise of crashing ice along the creek from the late morning sun.  He stopped just as I reached a perfect branch to rest my heavy rifle on.   My third shot, from a rested and warmed barrel, hit him just right, traveling diagonally thru his chest, dropping him in his tracks from a range of about 300 yards. 

Good luck with your hunting up there, it gets pretty addicting, especially after you taste some of the venison.    I will keep hunting up there as long as I am able.   Keeping yourself in top physical shape helps out a lot, as there is a ton of ground to cover (largest block of public land in the lower 48), and it takes considerable effort to reach the higher elevations.  You might also want to concentrate more on the edges of the park, where more food means more deer.  

• Like 1

Just wanted to clear this up.. there IS logging on state lands in the park.. It is different than hunting the isolated forest lands but recently logged areas are much easier to find the deer in..

Really?  Can you give me some examples?  I have never seen nor heard of any logging being permitted on state land in the Adirondack Park.

• Like 2

Really? Can you give me some examples? I have never seen nor heard of any logging being permitted on state land in the Adirondack Park.

No, I don't think I can...lol... After some research, I think I am wrong.. there are a number of pieces up here that have been heavily logged in recent years, but they are either recent acquisitions or easements...

This is one example of a state easement that is logged....

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/39883.html

Edited by ncountry
  • Like 1

No, I don't think I can...lol... After some research, I think I am wrong.. there are a number of pieces up here that have been heavily logged in recent years, but they are either recent acquisitions or easements...

This is one example of a state easement that is logged....

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/39883.html

It's all good...I have a friend who is a forester and another who works in the woods for one of the largest log buyers in the state, so I am fortunate to be pretty keyed in to logging in the park.  I was just trying to make sure that the OP didn't wander on to private property and get himself in hot water.

I would love to see the state do selective logging on state lands- it would be a boost for local economies, put more money in the state budget (to be wasted) and provide more food for the animals.  No way that will ever happen with the APA in place and I am sure that the state would find a way to mess that up.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The regs just state that it is illegal to take a deer or bear while it is in water..

Manner of Taking

It is unlawful to:

• Take big game while the deer or bear is in water.
  • Possess a firearm of any description when bowhunting or when accompanying a person bowhunting during special archery seasons.
  • Make, set or use a salt lick on land inhabited by deer or bear.

Right.  Those are the regs that I am familiar with.  You can't shoot at animals in water, but shooting over water, as far as I know, is okay....obviously be aware of your surroundings and don't shoot over people boating or paddling by, but that should go without saying.

Ceder lake and West Lake areas. all ill say.

Ceder Lake?  Do you mean Cedar Lake?

And West Lake?  Where is that?

To all posters, thanks for the detailed feedback.  I definitely have some new ideas to take into consideration.  I am deadset on hunting in the ADK's this year, regardless of how difficult it might be.  So I'll continue to scout, mark my map and take notes on where I see activity.

Right. Those are the regs that I am familiar with. You can't shoot at animals in water, but shooting over water, as far as I know, is okay....obviously be aware of your surroundings and don't shoot over people boating or paddling by, but that should go without saying.

Ceder Lake? Do you mean Cedar Lake?

And West Lake? Where is that?

To all posters, thanks for the detailed feedback. I definitely have some new ideas to take into consideration. I am deadset on hunting in the ADK's this year, regardless of how difficult it might be. So I'll continue to scout, mark my map and take notes on where I see activity.

If you are out there scouting now I wouldn't bother finding deer just concentrate on old sign "rubs" and terrain "natural funnels." A deers actions this time of year will vary greatly from what they will do in a few months when nuts start falling and leaves are turning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2