DMP for 2016

First-light

2 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Barely go to page 2 on a thread about permits and probability and here comes the DEC comments...lol I guess everything useful was said on page one.

Gotchya.

I don't know the actual process the NYSDEC uses to determine numbers, but I trust them to do a better job than I could. That's why I give hell to folks that I know don't report their take.

I'll play the cards I'm dealt but I'd be ticked if landowner permits ever get turned off!

Sick every year and lately they complain about deer numbers high but then doe only area's  always get tags. But numbers in those areas are not what they think. Once again area of 8p north of Naples doe numbers to me are high. Never ever in the last 2 years have I gotten a doe dmp tag there .this year low on first drawn none on second . Way to go 

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Does schmoes. They are boring. Haven't shot since 2000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't eat the horns and sadly only have seen perhaps 3 wall hangers in my life while in the woods deer hunting. And I average over 100+ hours a year lol.  Ray Charles would have a better chance at shooting one than I

• Like 3

Does schmoes. They are boring. Haven't shot since 2000.

Sorry to hear that. If all deer don't get your blood pumping may be time to find a diffetent hobby. Taking of a doe to me is just as awesome as taking a big buck

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Sorry to hear that. If all deer don't get your blood pumping may be time to find a diffetent hobby. Taking of a doe to me is just as awesome as taking a big buck

Everyone's trophys are different . A big plump doe is also just as special to me as the typical crappy racked decent bodied bucks I shoot and may even taste better. I pass on the spikes, BB's , baskets and little deer in size but if it's a sizeable body I'm squeezing the trigger  My rule of thumb is I'm paying $65 to get it processed regardless of it's size to get processed that I mine as well get my money's worth. . If it looks like I'm going to be sucking wind after the mile drag out I'm shooting lol.

• Like 1

I don't eat the horns and sadly only have seen perhaps 3 wall hangers in my life while in the woods deer hunting. And I average over 100+ hours a year lol.  Ray Charles would have a better chance at shooting one than I

My biggest NY buck is only a basket 8, but seen I only get out a handful of days per deer season I hold out for a buck. I stopped shooting 4's and smaller a few years back.

Doe gets my blood pumping, but no interest in losing the day or even a few hours shooting one. I get a dmp tag each year incase I ever saw a piebald or really injured doe.

I'd probably shoot a small buck if I got a good shot with the Xbow tho.

• Like 2

all deer get my blood pumping and I'll shoot a doe during archery, but the last few years hunting with the rifle I've been passing them up.........we've had a few kids start hunting with us, so I think it's more important the deer may give them an opportunity at some point, and just the lack of deer in general keeps me from wanting to kill more than one doe anyway.....that's upstate, down on Long Island I pretty much shoot anything and doe tags are a guarantee.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

I agree, most people won't believe you when you tell them taking a doe means just as much to you as a buck. I pretty much get the same adrenaline rush no matter what type of deer I take.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Hopefully a Moderator will setup a DMP Swapping Forum ?  No stories just this tag for that tag ! Just a thought ?

See if what I just posted under deer hunting works for you .I pinned it .  Apparently it worked last season . Good luck . 

• Like 1

Im in 8P as well and have a good number of does as usual, not as many deer numbers as in years pass, but still a good number. I dont mind it being low/none if it will bring deer numbers back up some. I can still take a doe with the bow/ML tag during Archery... 

But i have several neighbors who will just put a DMP tag for another WMU on a doe instead, so its "legally" tagged, just not legally taken.. If they didnt help me out whenever I need it, and vice versa.. id turn them in..  

22 hours ago, Borngeechee said:

I think those that only get excited over that big buck are more trophy hunter than hunter.

Geechee born and Geechee bred

well, I think they're hunters either way, just different goals.....I honestly have nothing but respect for the guy who will sit in the woods for an entire season and pass up everything for that one big buck, that says a lot to me, there's a lot of hunting time involved in that, and I'm sure when they see any deer coming the heart rate goes up in anticipation of what it might be...you take the guy who sits for an hour the entire year and fills his tag and packs it in for the season, what can be said about that? I don't pass judgement on either, it's those who look down their nose at the other for one reason or another that ruin it. But we're straying way off topic at this point, so.

• Like 1