I've been invited to go on a Montana hunt

Deerthug

One of the guys in my office invited me to go on a Muley, elk and white tail hunt in Montana this November. I would be replacing another guy who may not go due to an injury.

The hunt is guided at silver bow outfitters in Libby Montana. $3600 for 5 nights plus $450 for packing the harvest. I think airfare is extra. I would be looking at about $4500 to $5000 total cost not including taxidermy of the harvest.

I spoke to the wife and she gave me the green light but I'm caught between a rock and a hard place because I'm looking at purchasing a new rifle and eventually a handgun once my papers go through which could cost me $2000 total.

What to do... what to do...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

GO  !  GO !  GO !

My Mom told me years ago that if I wanted to do anything and could afford it, DO it, while I was still able...

I took her advice and have never regretted a minute or a dollar of it.

I know SO many people my age who say they always wanted to do a trip like that but just never got around to spend the $$$ or the time to do it.. Now it's too late....Sad.... Do it while you can, My Friend.....

• Like 2

I'll be the devils advocate for what could be a good or bad deal....

Booked more than a few hunts and the one I didn't do research on my own and trusted someone elses opinion was so-so. Hunting was decent, but I book for an experience of the total hunt. That may change on each persons expectations.

These guys hunt there before?

His website lists $750 for a pack fee on Elk, $450 for a deer.....pay for both.....how many folks drop both?

Its very slim on pics, maybe he uses facebook and need a link.

What unit and I would call F&G and want to talk to biologist about current trends; wolves?

License fee for combined is close to $1000, that included? 

I'd all be saying for go go go.........done a bunch of travelling to hunt and frankly its been the best thing I have ever done, spent way more than I should have, and have VERY few regrets.

Just saying maybe do a little home work. That's a bunch of coin and I like to put the edge on booking a "successful" one on my side.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 3

I'll be the devils advocate for what could be a good or bad deal....

Booked more than a few hunts and the one I didn't do research on my own and trusted someone elses opinion was so-so. Hunting was decent, but I book for an experience of the total hunt. That may change on each persons expectations.

These guys hunt there before?

His website lists $750 for a pack fee on Elk, $450 for a deer.....pay for both.....how many folks drop both?

Its very slim on pics, maybe he uses facebook and need a link.

What unit and I would call F&G and want to talk to biologist about current trends; wolves?

License fee for combined is close to $1000, that included? 

I'd all be saying for go go go.........done a bunch of travelling to hunt and frankly its been the best thing I have ever done, spent way more than I should have, and have VERY few regrets.

Just saying maybe do a little home work. That's a bunch of coin and I like to put the edge on booking a "successful" one on my side.

I agree on doing research. I have been on many out of state hunts and I have almost booked many outfitters only to bail because of 1 wrong answer. I ask a ton of questions. I usually ask them in bunches of ten. Heres just a few off the top of my head in short form. Some may not apply in your case.

Success rates?
Reasonable expectation on points/score?
Lodging/meal details?
Style of hunt? Horses, atv, truck, spot and stalk, blind, etc.?
Airport p/u dropoff?
Additional fees?
Butcher/taxidermy?
How many hunters in camp?
Hunter per guide? 1x1 or 2x1?
References?
Pics from last year success?
Father/son discount?
General discount or extra days?
What's a Typical day?
Typical Weather?
Blaze orange requirements?
Average shot distance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did some research on this outfitter.

From what I've found so far, there has been only one complaint filed in 2013 with the BBB where the guy ended up getting his money back. 

I have not seen any other reviews for this outfitter. I need to get some more info.....

34 minutes ago, Deerthug said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did some research on this outfitter.

From what I've found so far, there has been only one complaint filed in 2013 with the BBB where the guy ended up getting his money back. 

I have not seen any other reviews for this outfitter. I need to get some more info.....

try the forums at bowsite, monstermuleys, etc. you have nothing to lose by asking.

I've hunting in Montana 5 times, be it 20+ years ago and back then there were deadlines in applying for a license.  It looks like there are still deadlines and they are long past, so I don't know how you'll be able to hunt there this November?  I don't see anything on the outfitters website mentioning licenses which is a bit unusual especially in a state where there are application deadlines.  That right there would make me a little suspicious of this outfitter.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/buyApply/appDeadlines.html

Sorry the reviews I found suck. If it was me I wouldn't lay out that cash for hunt with poor reviews in a crumby general unit. For that matter if you have the time you can buy tags for a similar OTC hunt and go on your own.
Let me preface the as being someone that typically does two the three out of state hunts yearly...for the past 15 plus year or so. I am all for winging it and enjoying the experience and I part with money a little too easy. This doesn't look like it has enough up side for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

Correction, the outfitter does mention the application deadline as March 15, so again, how would you be able to hunt this year?  

Combination licences in Montana have not sold out in several years due to the $1k price tag....they become first come first serve after the drawing date. The number available is on the Montana F&G website.

The other guy already paid the fees I would be replacing him, pay him the cost of the tags and the tags would be transferred to me. I would have to get the out of state license in my name. It would be a guided hunt as opposed to a drop off hunt. I'm still on the fence about going if in fact the door opens for me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2