Butt out! The best piece of gear I ever bought!

Chef

I was wondering who else uses this piece of gear! I was reading the thread about learning from tv shows and thought of this! The best piece of gear for a new hunter who does not have much expirence field dressing a deer, and a speedy tool for those of us that have been doing it a long time... This might be my favorite piece of gear that I have.... Goes in my pack every hunt! In a ziplock bag of course...... So come on guys what are your trips and favorite tools for field dressing.... I bet this is done so many ways... And us discussing it may help out some of the newer guys with one of the hardest and least thought about parts of the hunt!!!! At least for a noob any way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We use the Butt out II.....longer handle then the original....deff helps when field dressing.
Also switched to one of those Havalon knives last season.... it is extremely sharp and buzzes through a wind pipe....just need to be sure not to apply to much lateral pressure or the removable blade may pop off.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

we all use them in camp.  They work, I wouldn't say they are the radial tire of hunting world, but they are good when you have them.  As far as a good knife that's all of it right there.  I still use my old Schrade Sharp Finger Gut Hook made in Margaretsvile NY!  Have it so long (since I was 14) the sheath is getting dried out on me.  I'd gut and skin a wooly mammoth with that!

I don't use a butt out...I use a extremely sharp Kabar with gut hook for gut then I carry a little hatchet that I split the pelvis with works great no mess wack and it's split...my uncle started me on it and never looked back....comes in handy with my climber too to knock stickers off with

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I also use the Butt Out II and would not be without it in the woods. It weighs next to nothing as it is made of plastic, and when used correctly, is a handy time saving gadget. For anyone who has tried one and had bad results, the key is to turn the tool no more than 1 1/2 turns after you insert it, and pulling it out in a steady even pull without stopping.  Many people who try it make the mistake of turning it too many turns and end up ripping the membrane before pulling it out, or stopping part way through the removal. I hope this helps.

• Like 3

Agree, one of the best tools I've bought for hunting. That and the $15 camo umbrellas that strap around my tree for when it's raining. It's easy peasy to use. Bought some for my friends too. It weighs practically nothing . The key is pull out slooooow . It's a heck of a lot easier and faster than the old traditional way. FYI Insert in right hole on a doe:rolleyes: 

• Like 2

For me, the whole process takes about ten minutes using a very sharp two and a half inch folding Ol Timer or Buck knife. The Ol Timer was given to me sooo many years ago, by an old hunter/mentor of mine. The Buck was a Christmas preasent from my grandsons. I wouldn't think of using anything else. Both have served me well.

For me, the whole process takes about ten minutes using a very sharp two and a half inch folding Ol Timer or Buck knife. The Ol Timer was given to me sooo many years ago, by an old hunter/mentor of mine. The Buck was a Christmas preasent from my grandsons. I wouldn't think of using anything else. Both have served me well.

I'm with you. I always have to laugh when I see people with big knives that they use for gutting a deer especially the ones with the gut hook! Not knocking anyone that uses these things they're just not going to be in my pack. Stick your finger in the B hole pull to 1 side cut around pull to other side finish circle reach up inside pull and done. In Eddies video it took him longer to get the zip tie on and tight than it takes me to "bung" out a deer. if it works like it did in that video it definitely works like it was meant to!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I'm with you. I always have to laugh when I see people with big knives that they use for gutting a deer especially the ones with the gut hook! Not knocking anyone that uses these things they're just not going to be in my pack. Stick your finger in the B hole pull to 1 side cut around pull to other side finish circle reach up inside pull and done. In Eddies video it took him longer to get the zip tie on and tight than it takes me to "bung" out a deer. if it works like it did in that video it definitely works like it was meant to!

Double ditto. No need to carry anything more than necessary. Actually if I am traveling heavy (with my daypack) I have a rapala filet knife in there which is golden for the specific chore. otherwise my little skinner does fine.

i don't hurry when field dressing a deer . No sense in taking a chance on cutting oneself . Haste makes waste !

I also have a Gerber e-z open that opens up a deer like a zipper . I never cared for using a gut hook on any of my knives . 

When I get too lazy to carry a couple of extra items in my backpack I will quit hunting .

Gerber Metolius e-z open.jpg

• Like 2

As far as knives I use an Old Timer carbon steel stockman, ten bucks used at a gun show .

As far as big knives I often carry a Puma Whitehunter, a classic to be sure. I'm a knife nut and the woods is about the only place I feel ok carrying a large fixed blade . Handy for chopping that sapling you forgot to trim or blazing trails in thick brush . 

I just enjoy that knife and look forward to strapping it on each fall.

To  me knives are of course a needed outdoorsman tool, but also a personal item that I enjoy sharing advantures with . I have one that dressed my first buck, canoed the Yukon River and was on my belt as I traveled many states on my motorcycle , it mostly sits in my safe as it brings back so many memories I'd hate to lose it.

the only issue I have with th butt out is the old lady doesn't care for me tossing it in the dishwasher.

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1