What is the biggest deer ever taken on state land in new york

LJC

• 1 month later...

every year this topic comes up...   the reality is that for the most part most large chunks of state land are only hunted on the fringes..  If you are willing to take the time and make the effort to "go deep" you can be handsomely rewarded (especially when the pressure on the fringes kicks up)

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, t_barb said:

every year this topic comes up...   the reality is that for the most part most large chunks of state land are only hunted on the fringes..  If you are willing to take the time and make the effort to "go deep" you can be handsomely rewarded (especially when the pressure on the fringes kicks up)

Interesting Theory I believe it is true bUT I think  the really biggest bucks  taken in state land  are  probably ones  originating from private land that wanders onto state land to  chase does  during the rut  by accident . 

But I also believe that going  far into public  land where nobody else goes can get you a older big  buck as  well .

Edited by LJC

The thought that big bucks just come from private land is pretty funny. It's said a mature buck will have a home range of a square mile. Which I think equates to around 640 acres. So their is lots of state land that is way over 640 acres, so many large bucks live on just state land. For alot of people that have private land near state land they are the lucky ones when one of those state land bucks wanders onto their property. Just my thoughts. Bash away 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

The thought that big bucks just come from private land is pretty funny. It's said a mature buck will have a home range of a square mile. Which I think equates to around 640 acres. So their is lots of state land that is way over 640 acres, so many large bucks live on just state land. For alot of people that have private land near state land they are the lucky ones when one of those state land bucks wanders onto their property. Just my thoughts. Bash away 

Nothing to bash. You make a very valid point. Many people with private land grow food plots which help grow bigger deer, in most instances anyway. They also let the smaller bucks pass to get older.

The bottom line on how big deer get, even does, is the food they eat, or how long they go undetected by hunters. Deer who scavenge for food ( wild nuts, berries, and foliage ) in the middle of big woods territory may not grow as fast as a deer eating the bountiful foods of farm lands. 

47 minutes ago, t_barb said:

Interesting Theory I believe it is true bUT I think  the really biggest bucks  taken in state land  are  probably ones  originating from private land that wanders onto state land to  chase does  doing the rut  by accident . 

But I also believe that going far into public  land where nobody else goes can get you a older big  buck else well .

13 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

I saw a study where they put tracking  devices  on mature bucks during the rut  they traveled over 11 kilometers in search of does 

24 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Our land borders state land and you are 100% right! There is definitely cross over from state land that is off limits to hunting on one side. Same thing on the other side where hunting is allowed. We have killed bucks never seen before on the property. And seen bucks we were watching vanish, never to be seen again. It's a double edge sword for us. And we live on the razors edge. And it's the same situation no matter, what or how much we plant in the ground. It is what it is and we accept that.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, grampy said:

Our land borders state land and you are 100% right! There is definitely cross over from state land that is off limits to hunting on one side. Same thing on the other side where hunting is allowed. We have killed bucks never seen before on the property. And seen bucks we were watching vanish, never to be seen again. It's a double edge sword for us. And we live on the razors edge. And it's the same situation no matter, what or how much we plant in the ground. It is what it is and we accept that.

The study showed that a buck in the rut will travel 11 km which is 6.835  miles that means there are definitely bucks traveling from public to private and private to public every season .

My guess is since hunting pressure is less and food quality is better on private land especially farmland .  Any really huge buck shot on public is one that just migrated there  chasing does by accident. Only to return to its better feeding ground on farmland after the rut . To get a overly big buck   big rack  you need good food  farmland food . And not to much hunting pressure. 

But it could go both ways for sure 

Edited by LJC

LJC, I think you may be right for some regions of the state where there is more mixed private and public land.  And I think on average, yes agricultural land grows bigger deer than state woodlands. But each year some big bodied big racked bucks come out of both the Adirondacks and catskills, Where the food source is not great and farmland is nowhere to be found. My guess is that what these bucks lack in food quality/quantity is made up for by excellent genes and minimal hunting pressure.

i think genes are a big aspect to the size of bucks bodies.  Just like people, some deer just won't grow huge no matter how old they get.  Others, living in the same herd, will.  

• Like 1

Deep is relative especially in the southern zone as trails and logging roads are numerous. The key is finding those nasty spots that are mostly undisturbed and funnels near those spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I hunt this one  public land for example.  Public  access is only on one side   i see does there but never bucks  in  this one area the only time I have seen  a buck there is when i cross the whole 1 .5 miles of it and hunt near the border on the other side that there is no public access to .  Never see bucks anyplace else on the property.  My guess is They get shot at to much on there and the smart ones figure out to stay near the other side where less people go .

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

Alleghany state Park and Letchworth both have nice deer come out yearly...

IMO it's about food, pressure and how smart the deer is. A smart deer will get big anywhere bc they go nocturnal and also have luck on their side.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

How is ASP for hunting ? A lot of hunters?

How is ASP for hunting ? A lot of hunters?

It's not bad lot of land and if willing to get away from road there are deer to be had. Getting better as season goes on. I hunt there a few times a year the changed all the rules this year. Pretty sure basically same as rest of state now. But as always look to make sure

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

the biggest I think in NY was the "Delmar buck" shot in 1981, at night, at the Five Rivers NYDEC Wildlife Watch Area near Albany, and with a 7mm mag.  buck scored something like 212" B&C.  I assume you meant legally taken though? haha
Only pictures I could find on the internet of it....

Delmar005.jpg

Delmar006.jpg