What could these be for?

22Plinker

On public land, if it was any kind of "official" forestry project, it would be clearly marked. So that would seem to rule out a study of bugs or critters. That was my first guess. Then being a musician, I thought maybe cajon drums, for some kind of drum beat pow-wow. But cajon's are sealed on all sides except for a sound hole,  these would be too small and wouldn't be left in the woods as moisture would deaden the sound. So I still have no idea. Never seen anything like it.

1 hour ago, Merlot said:

Uniform southerly alignment of the openings.of these boxes...wonder why.

Actually they are uniformly opened to the west with the tops behind them. I'm going back today to get exact GPS coordinates and emailing region 7 tonight. I'll call them tomorrow to check up. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

I would search the area for a trail cam ...if you do not find any  DO NOT TAKE A DUMP IN ONE !!!  (lol)

I gave a quick look around out to roughly 30 yards from the area. I didn't see any trail cams but that isn't to say they didn't hide any someplace I didn't find. 

I did get a call in and talked to an officer that didn't know of any environmental studies in the area but she would pass it along to local law enforcement to go investigate the scene. They took my number and have since responded to my email. Hopefully a response will be coming shortly. 

3 minutes ago, 22Plinker said:

I gave a quick look around out to roughly 30 yards from the area. I didn't see any trail cams but that isn't to say they didn't hide any someplace I didn't find. 

I did get a call in and talked to an officer that didn't know of any environmental studies in the area but she would pass it along to local law enforcement to go investigate the scene. They took my number and have since responded to my email. Hopefully a response will be coming shortly. 

Sounds like the beginning of a horror movie. Investigators went to check it out and were't seen or heard from again. That was 5 years ago. Now, their footage was found. In theaters this Fall.

So the official response from the DEC, whom never actually went out to investigate these mysterious boxes, is that they "may" be mosquito catch traps set up by the department of health.  If they are indeed "traps" then I think someone needs to have a talk with the designer... as traps are usually designed to actually TRAP something and keep it from escaping.  A giant open box doesn't really meet that requirement of a trap ;)

Wouldn't it make sense for traps of any sort to be facing different directions? I'm calling hoax. Not saying it was done by the witnesses, so don't get all bent. Maybe this is the new age "crop circle"? If it was the DOH they would have been labeled I would think.

EDIT:

OH, just thought about something. When they try to catch bugs don't they use big nets? The ones they place on the ground ( those funnel type nets ) or from tree to tree and use a spray to temporarily stun the bugs?

Edited by ....rob

3 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

I remember when they had big purple boxes hanging in the Ash Trees around our place, they were traps left to monitor for The Emerald Ash Borer....could very well be for catching some type of insect.

yeah but those had a sticky surface that would actually catch the bug.  I went back to check these boxes and there is nothing like that here.  several of the boxes now have spider webs in them but nothing to capture bugs. 

• Like 1

"Just tell him they were mosquito traps, or something..."

That's how I imagine that conversation going down in the regional DEC office.  That response is hilarious.

I googled "mosquito traps" and mosquito catch traps," and checked available images.  I didn't see anything resembling an upright, open box on the ground.  Bizarre...  Maybe they're meant to catch spider species, however.

Such a strange, and somewhat unsettling find.

1 hour ago, 22Plinker said:

So the official response from the DEC, whom never actually went out to investigate these mysterious boxes, is that they "may" be mosquito catch traps set up by the department of health.  If they are indeed "traps" then I think someone needs to have a talk with the designer... as traps are usually designed to actually TRAP something and keep it from escaping.  A giant open box doesn't really meet that requirement of a trap ;)

Go to google images and type "mosquito catch boxes".  On the first line of pictures has pretty much what you pictured.

http://northernwoodlands.org/knots_and_bolts/mosquito-trapline

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

I remember when they had big purple boxes hanging in the Ash Trees around our place, they were traps left to monitor for The Emerald Ash Borer....could very well be for catching some type of insect.

They had those things all over. They were some form of netting if I recall.

Might be for bugs. Still messed up. The link RangerClay posted was interesting. But, no tops.

Edited by ....rob

8 minutes ago, RangerClay said:

Go to google images and type "mosquito catch boxes".  On the first line of pictures has pretty much what you pictured.

http://northernwoodlands.org/knots_and_bolts/mosquito-trapline

Nice find.  I never would have thunk it true.  So I assume they have been coming back from time to time to check their traps so obviously the deer are ok with it since i've seen them in the area.  Perhaps this will bode well come november...