NY legal Rage broadheads

Stormshadow

I used Slick Tricks for a few years and swore I'd never shoot another broadhead........until last year, I tried Rage and will use them again this year. I NEVER had an issue with the Slick Tricks so have no idea what made me go with the Rage, but I was impressed with the entry AND Exit holes I the two deer I shot. I will say, my first impression upon taking a Rage out of the package was that it seemed kinda flimsy.

6 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

I used Slick Tricks for a few years and swore I'd never shoot another broadhead........until last year, I tried Rage and will use them again this year. I NEVER had an issue with the Slick Tricks so have no idea what made me go with the Rage, but I was impressed with the entry AND Exit holes I the two deer I shot. I will say, my first impression upon taking a Rage out of the package was that it seemed kinda flimsy.

they are definitely a one use deal.

The G5's are nice but honestly who's got time to sharpen blades.  I hate to say it but Rage heads make things idiot proof (which is just fine with me).

I resharpen my slick tricks. Why pay 10$ for something I can do in 30sec. If my brother rage blades didn't always end up bent I would resharpen them for him as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of rage. They're prone to problems. And if it's questionable whether they're NY legal, hell in some parts big drinks arent, but why try the head? I've used jackhammers in my compounds for many many years n they don't fail. Started using them after seeing the big holes left in bears coming in my shop. I've yet to hear of one problem w this head n the deer go a very short distance. Whatever you decide best of luck 

haha.... broadheads are expensive.  even the cheaper ones to outfit a half dozen arrows.  I've used some Rage heads just fine multiple times without doing anything but cleaning it out.  sometimes I've had to replace the blades and on fewer occasions the whole head.  they make replacement blades for them just like any other broadhead for the same reason.  if it still spins true and isn't bent, why buy the whole head again?

17 hours ago, eagle rider said:

The G5's are nice but honestly who's got time to sharpen blades.  

I can touch up my 3 hunting heads on my diamond stone to razor sharp in under 15 minutes. They sharpen on a normal flat stone. Honestly if you don't have that amount of extra time in your schedule, I do't know what to say. I bet I could resharpen in the time it takes to switch out the blades on a Rage

• 4 years later...
On 9/5/2016 at 4:48 PM, chrisw said:

Been using Ramcat for 3 years, im not switching anytime soon. You can keep those huge cuts, I want 2 holes Everytime.

ZOMBIE THREAD! Are you still using them? I just got some, they look lethal but its a chore getting them into my quiver without the blades touching. And they have to come back out in reverse order lol

ZOMBIE THREAD! Are you still using them? I just got some, they look lethal but its a chore getting them into my quiver without the blades touching. And they have to come back out in reverse order lol
I still use them occasionally, you have to buy a quiver that works for them for sure. They're awesome heads, I punched through a shoulder blade and exited 2 ribs from the back at 32 yds on a decent buck. Wicked penetration. The blades are left hand thread too, in case you haven't found that out yet (at least they used to be!).

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2016 at 10:37 AM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I can touch up my 3 hunting heads on my diamond stone to razor sharp in under 15 minutes. They sharpen on a normal flat stone. Honestly if you don't have that amount of extra time in your schedule, I do't know what to say. I bet I could resharpen in the time it takes to switch out the blades on a Rage

I just buy from wallmart after the season 70% off  , have dozens of rages at less than 2 bucks apiece ,I dont replace blades just put on new head..  cant be faster than unscrewing and putting new one on...

• Like 2

I just buy from wallmart after the season 70% off  , have dozens of rages at less than 2 bucks apiece ,I dont replace blades just put on new head..  cant be faster than unscrewing and putting new one on...
I did that back when they had the original titaniums. I think I still have one left. Otherwise they were $80 per pack! I've had one deflect once inside the body cavity. Went thru full sized (dont remember exact age, 4.5+yr old) doe lengthwise. Recovered it not far away with perfect entry slot but 1/2 the arrow hanging out the far side hind quarter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
Are the hypodermic no collars legal in nys?
Yes. The blades fold forward like other rage heads. Only Rage head that's illegal that I'm aware of is the original 3 blade. This is because while the blades also fold forward they can in some cases bind up with each other and not go forward all the way to be "not barbed". All 2 blades I believe aren't an issue.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk