Ozone closet

Grizz1219

I use it in a section of my basement that I can open the windows and air the room out... I did research the bad part of ozone... so planned for that... I should have mentioned that in the first part... And I used a "test" material that my old cat had ruined by peeing on it... and it GREATLY reduced if not eliminated the odor... so now to test it on deer... 

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't ozone have a fairly short half-life?  Ozone is simply trioxygen, which, when used as a deodorizer, rapidly oxidizes the molecules that cause odor, breaks down into ordinary dioxygen, and is no longer harmful.  This all happens within a few hours.  As I understood it, if you close the door to the room you're using it in, keep your animals and family out, and wait a few hours, it shouldn't be harmful. 

That being said, it's awful to breathe directly and especially harmful to those with preexisting respiratory issues.  

I'm not a chemist by any means, but that was my impression.

Edited by Wildcats160
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, grampy said:

Hope it all works out for you Grizz.  Me, I'll just hunt with the wind in my face.

You must hunt a different part of Ny than I do LOL... wind is always changing.... Hell, sometimes I think it is like Mother Nature is breathing, in and out... wind flowing one direction, then the opposite... I do always try to hunt with the wind, but I find it to be fickle... so trying to do anything I can to help reduce the amount of scent I am giving off.. 

• Like 1

Take it for what you will, but.............

There is no way to eliminate the human scent! The best you can do is try to cover it up.

But, you can only go so far in achieving that. You can wash your clothes in scent free detergent, you can shower in scent free soap. Yet, we add some form of chemicals to keep ticks off, if you really do walk 2 miles in carrying a climber and the rest of the gear for the day, you will sweat like a pig, add in that what you sweat out is what you eat and drink, so you will stink to deer. You fight a loosing battle.

Edited by ....rob

Goal is not elimination but reduction. Reduced scent may lower the threat level. Deer do react differently when they perceive you say at 20 yds vs 100.

Wildcats is right - ozone is highly unstable and breakdowns quickly. We use it in the motel - a high dose machine for 10 to 30 minutes. Within 2 hours, it has completely dissipated and is safe.

Exactly... All I am trying to do is remove all the scent from my clothing... I use scent elimination soap, scent elim. sprays but not thinking "Oh, I don't smell like a human", what the goal is, for me, is to make them think I am either farther away than I am, or was there a long time before.... If the wind changes or gives me away... 

• Like 2

Used it for 30 years in the restoration business.  I was always cognizant of the warnings and took it serious.  Great results most of the time but profitable 100% of the time.........:)

That said, you couldn't pay ME to use the stuff for hunting.......Jeez, we're hunting deer, not fighting the enemy. 

• Like 2

I think we dump an ungodly amount of stink from our mouths, that's tough to control.......you ever talk to some hunters after they got up at 3 a.m. and hunted all day? you would think something died inside of them.........but I'm always of the thought that if it can't hurt, why not try it?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

I think we dump an ungodly amount of stink from our mouths, that's tough to control.......you ever talk to some hunters after they got up at 3 a.m. and hunted all day? you would think something died inside of them.........but I'm always of the thought that if it can't hurt, why not try it?

After the 2nd cup of coffee and a handful of jerky, even I don't like the way my mouth smells!

• Like 2

On 9/6/2016 at 10:54 AM, Wildcats160 said:

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't ozone have a fairly short half-life?  Ozone is simply trioxygen, which, when used as a deodorizer, rapidly oxidizes the molecules that cause odor, breaks down into ordinary dioxygen, and is no longer harmful.  This all happens within a few hours.  As I understood it, if you close the door to the room you're using it in, keep your animals and family out, and wait a few hours, it shouldn't be harmful. 

That being said, it's awful to breathe directly and especially harmful to those with preexisting respiratory issues.  

I'm not a chemist by any means, but that was my impression.

You are correct about the half life of ozone...its about 3 days when at 20 C. Still can be harmful in those two days. Id rather put my hunting clothes in a bin full of charcoal than release ozone in my house. 

10 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

You are correct about the half life of ozone...its about 3 days when at 20 C. Still can be harmful in those two days. Id rather put my hunting clothes in a bin full of charcoal than release ozone in my house. 

Only in a sealed container does it approach 3 days.

Under normal conditions, the half-life of ozone indoors is between 7 and 10 min and is determined primarily by surface removal and air exchange.

From: Ozone in indoor environments: concentration and chemistry.

• Like 1

I also read people goofing on Gum-O-Flage but I thought that was a great idea. Our breath has to be the biggest scent culprit we have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I also read people goofing on Gum-O-Flage but I thought that was a great idea. Our breath has to be the biggest scent culprit we have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clorets is the answer, been using it for years.....it contains chlorophyll which kills odors.

• Like 2