Wood burning stove restoration

Need some advice on this wood burning stove. It will cost me $125 as is and then I think it need to be sandblasted and painted? Powder coated? Resealed?

Is it worth it? It's about 14"x26"x18"

6080b1f3d5de90907bb4c06bae30844b.jpg

What else do I need to consider? How much would sandblasting/refinishing cost me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

we use something called "stove black" to refinish cast iron stoves, much better the spray paint, I would just wire wheel/ brush it...avoid sandblasting because some older stoves have sealant in the seams that you could destroy. Refinish it yourself, it's very simple...what brand is it

is that a crack along the left side??

https://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Williams-Stove-Polish-Paste/dp/B007UXK1DG

Edited by jjb4900

we use something called "stove black" to refinish cast iron stoves, much better the spray paint, I would just wire wheel/ brush it...avoid sandblasting because some older stoves have sealant in the seams that you could destroy. Refinish it yourself, it's very simple...what brand is it

is that a crack along the left side??

https://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Williams-Stove-Polish-Paste/dp/B007UXK1DG

Thanks for the link

14 minutes ago, crappyice said:

My real concern is carbon monoxide poisoning!

with a proper chimney and a good draft your bigger problem will be keeping it throttled down enough so it doesn't drive you out of there. I would fire brick the bottom and one brick on its side down the sides. I would lasso stand them up in the back. The very back of the stove will be the hot spot with the draft from the chimney. 

• Like 1

I don't know if you've ever had ,seen or heard a log "blow up" in a stove...but I wouldn't want weak metal due to cracks or previous over heating(which can weaken it)in a wood stove.... I have,it's a lot of power when that happens...Just something to think about and research...BTW have you checked on the homeowners fire insurance and town regulations, before putting $$ and time into this? Just some thoughts.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Cheap little stove to start with. With the crack it is worth nothing and unsafe. Crack most likely from a log roughly loaded when hot or overfired. Never designed for firebrick - maybe cast iron panel on the inside (missing) and sand or built up ashes on the bottom.

36" clearance to combustibles all around. A minimum chimney system is $400 plus now. Cheapest chimney to run is straight up. I would not sleep in a building with it burning.

Check Tractor supply or Lowes for a  LISTED stove. Few hundred more but a 1000 times safer with closer clearance to combustibles and hearth pad requirements.

Based on 40+ years in the stove/fireplace industry.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

A few years back i saw that TSC had  a similar size stove brand new for $200, may not even be worth the effort to restore that stove.

yeah, Northern Hydraulics has one for about $50 more then that old one.......after the time and supplies it might not even be worth it.

I have fired those style before I think tractor supply sells them or something close and they burn through wood FAST, I'm not talking softwoods. If you are planning on heating with it you will need to stoke it about every 3 hours and at the 3 hour mark you will have coals. They are nice for the ambiance but that is about it. I would recommend a bigger more square firebox if you are planning on heating primarily with it so you can load more wood for overnight burns. I recommend putting it near a door so when you bring in wood it keeps the mess to a minimum. Wood stoves aren't clean but they warm you at least 4 times!

Edited by chas0218