How much would you spend on a hunting trip

LJC

8 hours ago, ....rob said:

DIY  out west sounds like a  great time if you can get friends to come along 

But it's hard to get orginzed to do that .  If i could not get hunting body's to go when I can get away  . 

I think paying the exstra  $ for a  guided hunt maybe worth it .

• Like 1

I spent around 6k to go to Saskatchewan. That was door to door including airline,truck rental, taxidermy,license and tip. Been there 2x and now after reading this thread you just gave me the itch to go back next year. I've been on the fence about it since they cut our special sea duck season this year so I will have free time before our season opens here on the island

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LJC said:
21 hours ago, ....rob said:

DIY  out west sounds like a  great time if you can get friends to come along 

But it's hard to get orginzed to do that .  If i could not get hunting body's to go when I can get away  . 

I think paying the exstra  $ for a  guided hunt maybe worth it .

I didn't say that! :rolleyes:

Work on those quoting skills there LJC. LOL

1 hour ago, The Jerkman said:

Just checked the price of an african leopard hunt. Welp looks like I shall be saving at least a couple more years. 16k is a big pill to swallow for one animal

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Honest that would be the low end for a hunt. Add in bait and misc charges and you'll be adding a few grand more to just the base hunt unless you catch just the right offer. Best case is to have a partner willing to shoot bait animals if hunting one of the safari areas or you need to buy some local livestock for some hunts. Leopard can be a time consuming focused hunt unless in one of the premier areas and the prices there are considerably more than $20K we are looking at here.

I have baited for other hunters three occasions now and cool part is getting to see baits hung/drags done/pug marks/trail cams pics evaluated before those hunters arrived in camp.

All got their cat! I'm like a lucky charm for a following cat hunter. LOL

Another sad fact is after next year I expect Leopard to be added to the non importable list of USF&W just like Lion and Elephant from most places. South Africa had to shut down all Leopard hunts due to poor planning in having international paperwork done wrong for this year; not sure about next.

USF&W has even announced more restrictive importation rules for all imported sport hunted trophies just this week.

Right now I have 2 animals waiting on proper paperwork and hoping all the I's are dotted and T's crossed that require more strict CITIES permits and TOPS permits. The other 8 just need the standard stuff, but even then paperwork needs to be perfect.

Anti's have figured that getting stuff home will hurt the hunting business and they have really hurt the ZImbabwe guys with Elephant ban. USF&W is squarely on their side.

Been fortunate enough to take a considerable number of game there on a handful of hunts and don't mind leaving stuff behind as I have from every hunt; but it has potential to be painful in the future to bring stuff home. It can get crazy now with dip&pack rip offs and shipping charges if not careful, need to ask lots of questions before going.

Awesome place to go hunt, headed back for trip #5 in later 2017 or 2018.....sooner if the right deal comes along!  LOL

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Honest that would be the low end for a hunt. Add in bait and misc charges and you'll be adding a few grand more to just the base hunt unless you catch just the right offer. Best case is to have a partner willing to shoot bait animals if hunting one of the safari areas or you need to buy some local livestock for some hunts. Leopard can be a time consuming focused hunt unless in one of the premier areas and the prices there are considerably more than $20K we are looking at here.

I have baited for other hunters three occasions now and cool part is getting to see baits hung/drags done/pug marks/trail cams pics evaluated before those hunters arrived in camp.

All got their cat! I'm like a lucky charm for a following cat hunter. LOL

Another sad fact is after next year I expect Leopard to be added to the non importable list of USF&W just like Lion and Elephant from most places. South Africa had to shut down all Leopard hunts due to poor planning in having international paperwork done wrong for this year; not sure about next.

USF&W has even announced more restrictive importation rules for all imported sport hunted trophies just this week.

Right now I have 2 animals waiting on proper paperwork and hoping all the I's are dotted and T's crossed that require more strict CITIES permits and TOPS permits. The other 8 just need the standard stuff, but even then paperwork needs to be perfect.

Anti's have figured that getting stuff home will hurt the hunting business and they have really hurt the ZImbabwe guys with Elephant ban. USF&W is squarely on their side.

Been fortunate enough to take a considerable number of game there on a handful of hunts and don't mind leaving stuff behind as I have from every hunt; but it has potential to be painful in the future to bring stuff home. It can get crazy now with dip&pack rip offs and shipping charges if not careful, need to ask lots of questions before going.

Awesome place to go hunt, headed back for trip #5 in later 2017 or 2018.....sooner if the right deal comes along!  LOL

That's something I always wanted to no about you go hunt in africa and for the price you pay does that include shipping handle all paper work . To get what ever you shoot back to the usa  

Shooting an elk and turkey grand slam would be my only desire. No desire to shoot any exotics , moose , bear , hogs , mountain lions etc. Truly doubt I'll ever take a hunting trip for elk or turkey No disposable cash puts a damper on that lol. I could play the lottery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LJC said:

That's something I always wanted to no about you go hunt in africa and for the price you pay does that include shipping handle all paper work . To get what ever you shoot back to the usa  

Short answer no; that's true for most international hunting.

You need good paperwork from outfitter to provide the gov't for export; thats included.

Trophies are delivered for Dip & Pack.....that sometimes has a charge but is often included.

Dip & Pack, Shipping, Import is not included; there are lots of options.

It is a part of research to fully understand the process and some get surprised by the bills. As the hunter you can chose who does this work and are free to shop around. I use the same guy to clear import each time and shop around for the rest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

Short answer no; that's true for most international hunting.

You need good paperwork from outfitter to provide the gov't for export; thats included.

Trophies are delivered for Dip & Pack.....that sometimes has a charge but is often included.

Dip & Pack, Shipping, Import is not included; there are lots of options.

It is a part of research to fully understand the process and some get surprised by the bills. As the hunter you can chose who does this work and are free to shop around. I use the same guy to clear import each time and shop around for the rest.

Personally  would only go with a company that has experience and does it all for one price . Even if it cost more.  

Edited by LJC

41 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Oh there's no shortage of folks who want to separate you from your money when hunting, especially Americans as they are considered easy marks.

You'd be ringing the dinner bell for that request. :rolleyes:

And you'd feel great as you sure would be paying more.:rofl:

References :taunt:

I just got back from a 1 week Adirondack whitetail muzzleloader hunt at my in-laws camp in zone 6C.   My total expense for the week came to $100.   Butchering cost $47 (for 45 pounds of boneless meat from a 115 pound field-dressed doe) and gas, to get me there and back, was $53.   They provided the food (my mother in law is a superb cook) and lodging and I helped them get the place ready for winter (boats and patio furniture hauled in, pipes drained, etc).  That also included some great fishing, including my second largest smallmouth bass ever (22"), and 20 more in the 12 - 18" range.   That big one hit on opening day of muzzleloader season (it was too warm to hunt that day).            

• Like 2

There are lot's of Guinea pigs down there and they are supposed to be good eating.    I am looking at my kid's pet right now as I type, and it appears to be halfway between a grey squirrel and cottontail rabbit in size.   A friend went down to Mexico on a pigeon hunt a few years back and it was basically non-stop shooting with buckets full of birds and sore shoulders.    None of that sounds very appealing to me, nor do the African "zoo" animals.   It is tough to beat the Adirondack whitetail hunting we have right here in NY state.      

• Like 2

I doubt I would pay to hunt for White tail , as I hunt them here, and fill my freezer every year.

I had allways wanted to hunt black bear, and have been to Canada 6 times for it, guided hunts averaging 1800. The camaraderie, fun, new experiences and people give you more reason to return. Those are about as affordable a paid hunt as you can find.

I have been to Newfoundland once (and am planning my return) for moose, a fly in one on one hunt. Cost is about 4600. including licenses. For me it is a big piece of change, but I scrimp and save, and it is worth every penny. I dream of an Alaskan guided hunt for caribou and grizzley, or a boat based spot and stalk for big black bears on the west coast, but they are beyond my means.

I cap the price at what a vacation would cost.  Once it approaches vacation money, then it's vacation instead.  "Hey, honey...you know how you really wanted to go to Paris?  Yeah, no.  I'm going hunting instead.  Have fun staying at home though.  I'll see you in a week."  I wonder how that's going to fly.  Maybe when I'm much older, the travel bug is gone, son off on his own, and I've hit the lotto.  Until then, I'm limited to hunts like I did in Texas where wife and I went for vacation/visiting friends and I spent a little money to stay behind an extra couple of days to hunt.  Thought about visiting our friends in Phoenix as an excuse to do a DIY javelina hunt or a DIY Elk in Colorado/Wyoming masquerade as a Yellowstone National Park trip.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:18 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

Shooting an elk and turkey grand slam would be my only desire. No desire to shoot any exotics , moose , bear , hogs , mountain lions etc. Truly doubt I'll ever take a hunting trip for elk or turkey No disposable cash puts a damper on that lol. I could play the lottery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Tuesday when you spend $60 eating those wings and pizza, would be like $3K per year. In 4 years, you're going on a $12K mountain goat hunt- Start training!

• Like 1

I've traveled to Georgia and Kansas for turkey, and Minnesota for pheasant.  Each trip was "visiting friends" who knew the lay of the land and where to go.  Makes it much easier.  I've done several fishing trips, some with guides. Personally I would be more likely to pay money for a fishing trip than a hunting trip, but that's my personal preference.