To Late To Still Ask Permission?

DirtTime

don't go empty handed,.... bring a nice tray of cookies or a pie when you knock on the door.  Simple gesture like that goes a long way.  I would always look presentable too when I knocked on a door for that reason, like I just came from church (that is when people actually used to get dressed up for church),...LOL

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, eagle rider said:

don't go empty handed,.... bring a nice tray of cookies or a pie when you knock on the door.  Simple gesture like that goes a long way.  I would always look presentable too when I knocked on a door for that reason, like I just came from church (that is when people actually used to get dressed up for church),...LOL

I go dressed in my Sunday best they might think I am a Democrat and beat me senseless. LOL

Started noticing deer movement right down the road from me recently, figure it can't hurt to ask. Really trying to find that spot I can walk to from my front door. :D

• Like 3

The worst thing they can do is say NO...

I asked an aquanitance to day for permission to hunt ducks..He politely said no and then told me that he had granted permission in the past and the priveledge was abused.. 

Possibly that is true...Possibly  he just doesn't want anybody else on his land, but he feels he needs a reason so he doesn't look like a selfish asshole.  It doesn't matter..he owns the land and he pays the taxes.

• Like 4

But do ask, even if it is posted.

As I put up Posted signs today I thought "it would be totally ok if someone bow hunted here".  The problem is that enough people have assumed it was ok and the family got tired of stumbling across a hunter when out for a walk.

Once you trespass, its to late to ask for permission.  Its just forgiveness at that point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr.Zach said:

But do ask, even if it is posted.

As I put up Posted signs today I thought "it would be totally ok if someone bow hunted here".  The problem is that enough people have assumed it was ok and the family got tired of stumbling across a hunter when out for a walk.

Once you trespass, its to late to ask for permission.  Its just forgiveness at that point.

I do not go on private land, posted or not, unless I have permission. No worries there. 

• Like 1

Possibly  he just doesn't want anybody else on his land, but he feels he needs a reason so he doesn't look like a selfish asshole.

So based on this statement, you think that land owners are selfish a$$holes because they bought land, maintain it, pay taxes on it and want to have a place of their own for themselves and their families?  Good luck getting permission form people with that kind of attitude... 

6 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

So based on this statement, you think that land owners are selfish a$$holes because they bought land, maintain it, pay taxes on it and want to have a place of their own for themselves and their families?  Good luck getting permission form people with that kind of attitude... 

Im pretty sure he literally says those same things right after that sentence...like right after. 

• Like 1

Possibly  he just doesn't want anybody else on his land, but he feels he needs a reason so he doesn't look like a selfish asshole.

Maybe read his post again.
  • Like 1

Never to late, I just picked up another 60 acres to hunt Friday and hopefully I can get access to more in that area. I also have plans to make an offer to my hay supplier down the road. He has 200 acres so I am going to offer my son and I to help next year during haying. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

My goal is continue to get spots because I get bored of hunting the same spots pretty quickly, I am trying to find a balance of good land and deer numbers with how I like to hunt which depends on the day. Easier said then done, I snub my nose at some places I can go with fantastic deer numbers because I just don't like them. lol

• Like 2

sooner is better than later but never too late.  if the property owner really thinks that say deer need to be thinned, don't go in hunting for a buck and not shoot anything.  try to fill a doe tag and show him or her.  things like that will buy you good grace and make a good first impression.  know what the needs are, get contact info, and what owners expectations are.

20 hours ago, Doewhacker said:

He has 200 acres so I am going to offer my son and I to help next year during haying. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I was wrong he has 260 acres, I made my offer last night and let him know I would not want to hunt until I earned it which he seemed to like. He offered to show me a spot on his 60 a crossed the road to hunt this year. You never know Rob...

• Like 2

Once I got permission just by accident. You finally met the boyfriend of the lady that ones the land all around my grandparents piece and once he saw I was hunting he told us we can hunt all the land she owns and I believe he is about to offer us to hunt a fruit farm that he also owns. What's the worst that can happen if you ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk