Favorite Hunting Book

kpkot

Looking to extend my library and learn a few things.  What is everyone's favorite hunting book? Doesnt have to be whitetails.

Strategies for Whitetails: Charles Alzheimer. Kinda basic info but the photography and colored print is amazing. Even better most of the research from the book is based in NY.

Hunting Big Woods Bucks: Hal Blood.  Although this book doesn't apply to most of my hunting it was a great read.  I did learn a great deal on tracking and deer behavior, but the way Blood wrote this made me want to hit up the Dacks in some fresh snow. 

Glad you brought this up. iwas going to ask a similar question. Im am now about half through Bow Hunting Pressured Whitetails by John Eberhart. So far it is it is pretty informative but as in just about all hunting information i find it primarily contains hunting more agriculture type situations .  Any recommendations on hunting hardwoods. I no access to agriculture. I guess my hunting area is probably closer to big woods even though im in the burbs.

• Like 1

One of the very best all around hunting books I have ever read is one called "The New Hunter's Encyclopedia" by Stackpole Books that I purchased many years ago from the "Outdoor Life book club" The book is a big one with over 1100 pages that covers just about everything hunting. The info may be old as my book was published in 1966 but it is still great reading and pertinent even today. I sure they still can be found used with an internet search, or on Amazon or ebay.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

Death In The Long Grass by Peter Capstick or any of his other books.

Dead On by John Jeanneney.

This book WILL help any hunter become a better blood tracker! With so much information that could make the difference between recovering your deer or not! Without the use of a dog. I highly recommend this book to any deer hunter, not just bow hunters. John is a founding member of Deer Search. He has been tracking deer since the late 70s, and has seen more tracking in a month than most hunters will see in a lifetime. 

20161025_212313.jpg

• Like 2

If you like Death in the Long Grass......try one of Jim Corbett's books. Leopard of Rudraprayag would be a good one. Corbett was tasked to kill man eaters in India, this Leopard killed 125 people, and unlike Capstick his stories are actually his and true, LOL. Later Corbett moved to Africa and was an early champion for animal conservation. There is a 5 book set from Safari Press too.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

If you like Death in the Long Grass......try one of Jim Corbett's books. Leopard of Rudraprayag would be a good one. Corbett was tasked to kill man eaters in India, this Leopard killed 125 people, and unlike Capstick his stories are actually his and true, LOL. Later Corbett moved to Africa and was an early champion for animal conservation. There is a 5 book set from Safari Press too.

Thanks! I'll have to put that on my wish list to Santa! For some good fireside reading after the season!

6 hours ago, kpkot said:

Looking to extend my library and learn a few things.  What is everyone's favorite hunting book? Doesnt have to be whitetails.

Strategies for Whitetails: Charles Alzheimer. Kinda basic info but the photography and colored print is amazing. Even better most of the research from the book is based in NY.

Hunting Big Woods Bucks: Hal Blood.  Although this book doesn't apply to most of my hunting it was a great read.  I did learn a great deal on tracking and deer behavior, but the way Blood wrote this made me want to hit up the Dacks in some fresh snow. 

I have some good ones you may be interested in. I'd be happy to let you read any you want.  I have a few from Capstick that will thrill you to no end on African hunting.  Gene Wensel's "One Man's Whitetail", Dan Bertalan's "Bowhunting's Whitetail Masters", Roger Rothhaar's "In Pursuit Of Trophy Whitetails", Ted Kerasote "Bloodties", David Petersen's "Racks" or "A Hunter's Heart" plus a few other older books from John Wooter's and Ted Trueblood.

I can toss 'em over the fence if you'd like.  :wink:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If u like Hal bloods book read the Benoits books. There is a new one just out that I read on tracking in the Adirondacks and it's awesome I thinks it's by Jim masset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill check them out.  Hal Blood book was given to me by someone years ago. Probably would of never bought it as I have never hunted the big woods, but like I said it was a great read listening about chasing  300# Whitetails.

39 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

kpkot gets first dibs on it.  If he wants to read it you can read it after..........

All I ask is it gets returned.

21 minutes ago, grampy said:

I did mean after kpkot, sorry, should have been more clear.

Pms

I have some good ones you may be interested in. I'd be happy to let you read any you want.  I have a few from Capstick that will thrill you to no end on African hunting.  Gene Wensel's "One Man's Whitetail", Dan Bertalan's "Bowhunting's Whitetail Masters", Roger Rothhaar's "In Pursuit Of Trophy Whitetails", Ted Kerasote "Bloodties", David Petersen's "Racks" or "A Hunter's Heart" plus a few other older books from John Wooter's and Ted Trueblood.
I can toss 'em over the fence if you'd like.  kolobok_wink.gif

I read a few of the Capstick books they are awesome
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rachunter said:

so far it looks good ,i'm hoping it helps me,i'm use to hunting flat land,

I found it interesting to bring up topos of old hunting spots that I saw a lot of deer from and compare their features to what he had to say in the book about why they traveled through them. The state land I hunt frequently has every single one of them, its just a network of drainage ditches, ridge tops, and benches

One of my favorite books is "The Old Man and the Boy", by Robert Ruark. It is the tales of the writer growing up in the south, originally written in magazine article format then published as  a book. All hunting, fishing adventures in the early part of the 20th century, the boys grandfather schooling him in the wise ways of the woods and field, with plenty of humor.

Next if you can find a copy, is Skeeter Skeltons collection of magazine articles, all based on shooting/ hunting. ...darn if I can remember the title now , but tremendous fun. They read like a fireside chat from your uncle. Horn of the Hunter, by Ruark is written about his first African safari.....I have read it probably 6 times, due for another....

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Horn of the Hunter, by Ruark is written about his first African safari.....I have read it probably 6 times, due for another....

Harry Selby and his daughter Gail lurk and occasionally posted for a time on a African hunting forum I frequent. Selby was Ruark's PH in Horn of the Hunter.

Geeze I wish he'd done a memoir, what a read that would be, in his 90's now.

• Like 1