Deer down, how do you react?

NFA-ADK

On a deer that is a one shot clean kill I am incredibly happy and thankful. I usually take some time to thank god for the opportunity and once down out of the stand and next to the deer I usually take a few more moments and thank the deer for its sacrifice.

If it's a bad shot and the deer suffers before I'm able to finish the job I'm generally disapointed in myself for taking what ended up being a horrible shot. In the end that's not what I'm out there to do and thankfully that's only been a few times. I do still thank god for the opportunity and thank the deer for its sacrifice. I might even throw in an apology to the deer as well.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

God took good care of us this afternoon (check out the crossbow harvest thread).  Thanks to this thread (which I read right before going out), I remembered to give Him thanks first.  Once again, without any shadow of a doubt, He played the main role in getting that buck to "deer heaven".

• Like 1

First I’m not very religious but before I go to my stand I ask god to let me come back safely and some privet stuff and to let me see a deer. I Never ask to let me kill a deer. I also ask Orion the god of hunters that my shot be true and grant me a kill. After I kill a deer I always pray to god for the soul of the deer and thanking him for letting me take the deer. I also thank Orion for making my shot true and for a swift kill. There is no fist pumping or any of that crap. I THINK THAT CRAP IS DISRESPECTFUL TO THE ANIMAL.

• Like 1

God took good care of us this afternoon (check out the crossbow harvest thread).  Thanks to this thread (which I read right before going out), I remembered to give Him thanks first.  Once again, without any shadow of a doubt, He played the main role in getting that buck to "deer heaven".

Are you saying that god helped you kill the deer ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

No, I am saying that I helped Him get that deer to deer heaven.  He got the goal and it was just an assist for me.   There is no way I could have killed that deer (or any other) on my own.  The shot angle was tough on that one, but Jesus has a way of making them bolts strike right where they need to.  One inch forward probably would have deflected off the shoulder and one inch farther back would have stuck behind the diaphram, catching nothing but gut.  What weapon could he like more than a Cross-bow.  So far he is 2 for 2 with me, putting that bolt exactly where it needed to be.    

I shoot when I am 90% sure of making a clean kill.   I can keep my bolts within a half inch, from a rest at 20 yards with my crosbow so, yes 2" is a go for me.  I have yet to have a "flyer" with this setup ($250 Barnett Recruit).   I was a little surprised that it drove that bolt all the way thru the deer at that angle and a couple inches into the ground.   A half blind person could have followed the blood trail.  What do you look for on your shots?   If you are shooting a vertical bow, I can understand your need for a larger kill zone.   Crossbows, from a rest, are a lot more accurate (in my hands at least).  

I guess it's a little different for me than most.
These deer are my primary source of entertainment throughout all 4 seasons. They are without a doubt my favorite animal to chase with a camera. Many of them on my hunting grounds I'll have more than one encounter with before anyone is even thinking about hunting season. A few of them become such a common site each hike that it's almost uncommon NOT to see them. Some of them I have known since they had spots.

I'm not saying I become friends with these animals, but sometimes I feel like there is a certain sort of trust and relationship there when they welcome and accept me into their world.
After following them around for months leading up to deer season, it almost feels wrong to pull the trigger on one just for the sake of antlers or meat.... neither of which I rely on for my own survival, or couldn't obtain elsewhere.
The encounters are usually what it's all about for me, and that all comes to an abrupt halt the moment I pull the trigger. At that point I know there wont be any further experiences with that deer in the days, months, or years ahead and it is saddening in a way.

When I do take an animal it's more of a quiet time for me.
I have my own "ritual" I like to go through where I will admire my kill, make my own silent apology and give thanks, and clean it's carcass out of pure respect. I try to clean them up the best I can to preserve their natural beauty even in death, again out of my own respect. The last thing I like to see in my own field photos is an animal that looks like it was brutally murdered in a blood bath of hatred, so even if I'm rushed for time, I always do my best to take my time with that step.
Usually after a long days hunt and a good nights sleep any regrets I may have had will have dissipated and I move on to finding new "friends" to replace the lost ones.

It's just hard for me to get excited after a harvest knowing I've killed a creature that gives me so much satisfaction throughout the year even outside of hunting season.
IMO- there's really no place for a loud showboating celebration in all of that for me. You just be a good sport when you win and shake your opponents hand, because he just might make you look like a fool the next time you play the game against each other.
The fun and excitement I get from the hunt, NOT the kill.
Edited by wooly
  • Like 4

If it is one that I have been after and hunting hard to get him, I usually loose it. Between the adrenaline and the joy of finding the deer the moment is really indescribable. Close to the joy of holding my kid for the first time, it is a moment etched in my memory forever. Those mature deer really get my blood pumping, I can't wait to share the experience with friends and family. Between knowing I outsmarted the smartest deer in the woods and putting food on the table it is a great moment.

No, I am saying that I helped Him get that deer to deer heaven.  He got the goal and it was just an assist for me.   There is no way I could have killed that deer (or any other) on my own.  The shot angle was tough on that one, but Jesus has a way of making them bolts strike right where they need to.  One inch forward probably would have deflected off the shoulder and one inch farther back would have stuck behind the diaphram, catching nothing but gut.  What weapon could he like more than a Cross-bow.  So far he is 2 for 2 with me, putting that bolt exactly where it needed to be.    

So you took a shot you never should have taken because you believe that god would guide your arrow.... dude you really need to reevaluate you life and morals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I usually act ecstatic , fist bump my camera man , giggle and spend 10 minutes whispering into the camera as to how the deer came in and when I decided to shoot . My camera man and I get down and start tracking the deer . I have him get on the other side of the downed deer to film me approaching and put a surprised happy face on like I just found my deer . Another fist bump ! 

Oh wait , that's not me , that was a TV show ! :rolleyes:

• Like 4

I don't pray after a kill, but I do remember being somewhat aware of the magnitude of what I'd done after I took my first deer.  I didn't regret killing the animal, but taking another life, even an animal's, put me in a mental zone that I had never been before.  I think that kind of wears off after time, or at least people get more at ease with the whole process.  

I certainly think respect for the animal and its environment is warranted.  

I simply admire the deer, cherish the moment if you will. I also find myself apologizing in my head because they truly are beautiful creatures and I hope I always feel sentiment toward them as it's an important part of the experience to me. I don't like distasteful pictures with blood and gore, in fact I've killed 2 does and a coyote on film and the does both dropped and required a second shot and the coyote was hit back too far and made quite a lot of noise until he died, I deleted those videos without ever showing anyone. I don't feel it was respectful to those animals. Watching the last few breaths of life is something that shouldn't be broadcast for the world to see in my opinion. With that being said I don't let the finality of death cloud the moment, If everything happened in a way I can be proud of then I am beyond happy, I'm just not the jumping up and down, screaming and thanking baby Jesus like the fools on TV type.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 3