anyone have their eye on a new bow this year?

Geno C

I have and love my Mathews switchback XT. i will never get rid of it. i was tossing around the idea of going to shoot a Mathews MR5 (80#). im really curious how the feel is of that bow, being it has a 5" BH and its a double cam.

i was wondering if anyone else was thinking about a new bow for this year?

Nothing for me... haven't changed that much since i got a new one 2 years ago...but if i was looking i would be trying out a pse x-force, a friend bought one last year and it made my top of line mathews look like an old bear whitetail II. quiet about the same... but it is fast!!!

greg what mathews do you shoot? a buddy of mine has 2 PSEs. He has the Super Short and a X-Force, i forget which one. both of the bows are really fast but he has a 30" draw which is faster then my 28" eitherway you slice it...

i was looking at the PSE's but i do love mathews and that MR5 looks great! If i do get a new bow, i want something really fast. my switch back XT has it all smooth draw, Nice speed, forgiving and quiet. My next bow i want would have to be for speed and i want to go up to an 80#. i haven been shooting 72lbs at 28" since 05 when i got this bow. i have no problems with the SB at 72 lbs in the teen fully clothed so i would be looking into getting an early bow season bow, when i am using that lighter clothing. its not deff but ive been tossing aorund the idea

Excalibur Vortex Recurve Crossbow

[table]    [tr]  [td]Velocity:[/td]  [td]330 FPS[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Draw Weight:[/td]  [td]200 lbs.[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Power Stroke:[/td]  [td]15.5"[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Mass Weight:[/td]  [td]6.3 lbs.[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Overall Length:[/td]  [td]37.4"[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Arrow Length:[/td]  [td]20"[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Arrow Weight:[/td]  [td]350 Grains[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Stock Type:[/td]  [td]Thumbhole[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Finish: [/td]  [td]Realtree AP HD[/td][/tr][/table]

Plan to take 3 bucks with it in 2011.

1 in NJ in September

1 in PA in November

1 in NY (December - Late season)

Geno, I shoot a drenalin as well as an old mq-32. My friends xforce made them look like a model t racing a ferrari. I have another friend with a top of the line hoyt and its as fast as the xforce but sounds like a gun going off. I see mathews came out with a 2 cam bow to compete with the x force.

they came out with the monster XLR8 right when the Xforce came out. the omen is the fast one, 360fps 30" draw. The XLR8 i heard mixed opinions on as whats to be expected from any dual cam bow witha 5" brace height. The drenalin i heard was a great bow for that year.

5" brace height ought to make for a tough bow to shoot consistently, and a noisy one too. But damn thats fast...

i never shot a bow with sucj a short brace height but my guess would be if you used to a 7 - 7.5" brace height i can see a 5" being alittle jumpy in feel. but supposedly with the string stop and other accessories they are minimizing that noise and making them alittle more smoother. we shall see.

I shoot a Bowtech I got about 5 years ago and I love it.  If you ask me, new bows are getting a little bit rediculous, yes there getting alot faster, but look at the arrows they are shooting, they are getting lighter as the speeds go up, this in turns leads to less ethical kills in my book as the arrows don't have the energy for clean pass throughs if the shots a little off.  I dont plan on buying a new bow any time soon, mine shoots just fine for me. 

"but look at the arrows they are shooting, they are getting lighter as the speeds go up, this in turns leads to less ethical kills in my book as the arrows don't have the energy for clean pass throughs if the shots a little off."

Well I agree some arrows are light for my taste but there have been more heavy carbon arrows on the market this last year or two. That was one of the reasons I made the switch last year, still lighter than alluminum but really close. As far as the pass through thing goes, an arrow will do a hell of alot more damage should it stay inside the body cavity and move around as the deer runs.

And I would take a new Hoyt too but I will wait until my wife is ready to upgrade a few years from now, my cheap Parker shoots great and I like it.

I got a new bow last year.  I bought a Hoyt Turbohawk when they offered the rebates.  For $500 and shooting almost 300 fps I don't plan to get a bow for many years to come.

I am looking to get both of my kids a new bow this year.  Just having a tough time choosing right now.  I am leaning towards the new Bear youth bow.

I am just starting soem research.  I never owned a compound, as I have used the bear grizzly 45 pound recurve for some time.  I am doing some research into a 26 inch about 50 pound compound.  I am thinkign I will stil shot instinct. I am just liking the idea of let off and being able to hold in a draw position.  Any advice would be appreciated.

my switchback is set at 72lbs, 80% LO. feels good when your holding it for a minute waiting for that shot. not like those old school bows back in the day. i had a PSE and a Golden Eagle. night / day...

what advice did you need bubba? whats your draw length and desired draw weight?

I bought a PSE Bow Madness xs in 09

Specifications:  for the 09 Model

- Axle-to-Axle: 28-1/2"

- Brace Height: 7-3/8"

- IBO Speed: 316-308

- Let Off : 80% or 65%

- Adjustable Mass Weight: 3.7 lbs

The oem string was crap and replaced it the 1st week with a zebra hybrid Z twist.  I also replaced the oem cable slide with a Alpine Archery Mach 5  Model: AC-10051

a G5 Meta peep with Limbsavers limb and string leech, Trophy Ridge flatliner sight and

the Trophy Ridge drop zone rest.

the bow is fast, quiet and comfortable.

I should be good for a few more years.

A great bow for a low price

PSE has come a long way in my book

• 2 weeks later...

I have been holding out for years until I see something that looks as if it will be an improvement over what I currently shoot ( Bowtech 2007 Allegiance). For the past 4 years I haven't seen anyhthing out there that will be a marked improvement that would justify a new purchase. That is until this year.

Well I''m glad I waited as Bowtech has now developed a 7" brace bow that has the grip positioned ahead of the pivot point of the limbs. The bow is rated at 343 IBO and the riser design should reduce torque as compared to other 7" brace height bows.

The "Invasion" is due any day at my dealer. If this compound bow is all the geometry says it should be , we should have a very fast bow that is also very forgiving. Looks like a winner.