Got A New Phone To Take With Me

grampy

It's a Galaxy 7 something or other. I know squat about phones. But after a little mishap in the woods earlier this season. My wife has been on me to upgrade my 13 year old flip phone. So tonight I did! Even got her a new one too, but hers was only two years old. Still trying out all the crazy stuff it can do! And it is pretty cool. But still, no texting from the woods for me!......lol

• Like 1

Make sure you get an app that will allow your family to know where you are.

There are apps that can also alert emergency as well as family with a press of a button of your location and to send help. All you need is a smart phone and a data connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shawnhu said:

Make sure you get an app that will allow your family to know where you are.

There are apps that can also alert emergency as well as family with a press of a button of your location and to send help. All you need is a smart phone and a data connection.

Got it. Great idea! I'll see if I can set that up. Thanks!

Good job grampy. Put any hunting /wind apps on yet ?
You can save location when you're at hunting spot and then check wind at current moment from home. Isn't the galaxy 7 the one the one that starts on fire ? That's great in case you need to stay overnight in the woods lol. You'll enjoy all you can do with it. That phone takes amazing pictures. Friend has it , I mean really good pics. Snap chat , twitter and Instagram, words with friends ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Good job grampy. Put any hunting /wind apps on yet ?
You can save location when you're at hunting spot and then check wind at current moment from home. Isn't the galaxy 7 the one the one that starts on fire ? That's great in case you need to stay overnight in the woods lol. You'll enjoy all you can do with it. That phone takes amazing pictures. Friend has it , I mean really good pics. Snap chat , twitter and Instagram, words with friends ? emoji2.png

Supposed to be an upgraded battery pack? IDN? If the darn thing catches fire, it will be the first time in awhile, something heats up in my pants! Hey if you guys have any app suggestions that would be great! 

• Like 5

Supposed to be an upgraded battery pack? IDN? If the darn thing catches fire, it will be the first time in awhile, something heats up in my pants! Hey if you guys have any app suggestions that would be great! 

I'm quite sure the problem with the phones catching fire was an issue with the Li-Ion batteries. Hopefully, those issues have been resolved on the newer phones.

As for app suggestions, I use only free apps. Some that I like are ScoutLook, NY PockerRanger, and HuntStand. These are on iOS, not sure if they are available on Android. You can give it a search and see if they are available.

1a208e1bde08bdeac0126cf0cf1b8e8b.png

889b661a946d036b6f738d86a85f3403.png

• Like 2

Anther insanity is good and it's free. Also use Primo wind checker , .99. But it's almost the same. Tapatalk for this forum. Takes getting used to but I toggle between using it and thru regular site. The pocket ranger is ap has NYS hunting regs and fishing regs at your finger tips with a lot of other neat stuff. Can locate state land , where's hot spots to fish lately etc

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grampy said:

If the darn thing catches fire, it will be the first time in awhile, something heats up in my pants! 

LMAO, TOO funny!!!!

Not as brave as you, I only upgraded to a Galaxy S5 recently. Mainly for the better camera. Can't justify a $4-600 phone & $$ monthly contract fee for what I use one for. Stick with my Tracfone (Verizon based) plan for $125/yr.

Edited by nyslowhand

Here's one thing I do. I use an app Hunt Stand I believe , on it I mark my stands , then take a screen shot and send that to my wife and friends . Now when I hunt I tell her what stand I'll be in so if she doesn't hear from me at a certin time she know where to send the fellas to look.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Grampy,

I have the same phone. Its the Note 7 that catches fire so you have nothing to worry about with the Galaxy. It takes amazing pics (when I can hold the phone steady enough and I am not excited about seeing a deer) Scoutlook is a free app that I use and really like. You know you won't be able to resist checking in on this site while you are out in the woods when things are slow! Whoop, Whoop, evercalm and a new phone...all in a couple months! Be safe!

• Like 2

On 11/10/2016 at 8:36 PM, grampy said:

But still, no texting from the woods for me!......lol

Yes you will. If you want to keep up with the "cool kids" you post from the woods. LOL

As for apps, look at the reviews on the hunting apps. Better the review, better the app works in most cases.