How Early Before Sunrise Do You Get In Your Stand?

buffalojay83

This time of the season (rut) I think it isn't as important as early season. The deer are moving all day and may eventually come back through shortly as the does don't like to go to far from their area. Last Monday 11/7 when I killed my buck, it was the latest all season I was in my stand and it was already light. After I climbed into the stand and knocked my arrow and hung my bow, I checked the phone and it was 6:30. I saw my first deer, a buck at 6:40 and by 6:45 I shot and killed my buck. Some times using the light it an advantage. I've done it both ways and generally feel at least 30 - 45 min before first light is best but honestly just can't always haul my old ass out of the bed.

It is not that critical during bow season, but I like to be on stand 15 30 minutes before any daylight can be detected. But on opening day of gun season, I will be there about 45 minutes to an hour before the first traces of daylight. The early hour is to lay claim to a particular spot on the hill on state land that has proven to be a fairly reliable escape route. There is a bit of competition for this spot, and I try to get there first.

I like to be settled in the stand about an hr to an hr&half before legal sunrise ... today sunrise 6:59 and I was set up in stand by 5:30. Spook less deer walking in that early and I've had some if the big boys on trail cam 25 yds from my stand about 45 minutes before sunrise so I don't want to bump them walking in.

All of the good bucks I have killed on my place have been after 9:00 AM up until just after 11:30 AM. Now I don't go in too early as I don't want to burn out too soon. Then from 2;30 to 3:30 and just before sundown on.

In Southern Indiana when I hunted public land, I used to watch my watch as 10:00 AM approached knowing that I would soon see deer. I usually did. I attributed it to hunters vacating the woods around 9:00 as the vast majority did and the deer getting up to browse after the 4:00 AM army with flashlights had made them hunker down.

9:00 AM in NY is about the same "solar" time as 10:00 AM in Indiana. Now, I'm beginning to believe that it's just the natural movement when hunters aren't around.

Went out this morning. Gonna go again tomorrow but maybe like a half hour earlier. Kicked up at least 3 on my way in and I only have like a 5 min walk. Had one wheezing at me a few times as I get in the tree. About 730 a small doe, 830 a small 4pt then my wife was being a wife and guilted me into coming home. F that! Going back earlier tomorrow and hopefully getting some super blood moon action lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Got in the stand this morning at 6:41am and nothing til 9:50 and then all hell broke loose. 2 8's chasing a doe so fast past my stand I didn't even have time to grab the bow and decide to shoot if wanted to. I really do think this time of year it is not as important.

10 hours ago, buffalojay83 said:

Went out this morning. Gonna go again tomorrow but maybe like a half hour earlier. Kicked up at least 3 on my way in and I only have like a 5 min walk. Had one wheezing at me a few times as I get in the tree. About 730 a small doe, 830 a small 4pt then my wife was being a wife and guilted me into coming home. F that! Going back earlier tomorrow and hopefully getting some super blood moon action lol

That's why I now wait until I can at least see to prevent bumping undewtected deer. I used to go through the same thing.

On heavily hunted public land you sometimes need to get in early to claim a good spot. Thankfully I don't have to do that any more.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

All of the good bucks I have killed on my place have been after 9:00 AM up until just after 11:30 AM. Now I don't go in too early as I don't want to burn out too soon. Then from 2;30 to 3:30 and just before sundown on.

In Southern Indiana when I hunted public land, I used to watch my watch as 10:00 AM approached knowing that I would soon see deer. I usually did. I attributed it to hunters vacating the woods around 9:00 as the vast majority did and the deer getting up to browse after the 4:00 AM army with flashlights had made them hunker down.

9:00 AM in NY is about the same "solar" time as 10:00 AM in Indiana. Now, I'm beginning to believe that it's just the natural movement when hunters aren't around.

10 hours ago, buffalojay83 said:

As I was saying......

14 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

Years ago I stopped getting down at " an even time " in gun i.e. 9:00, 9:30 and so on . We'd get down at say 9, start the walk out and deer would be running across the field from the north woods to,ours. Soon learned guys over there got down at 9:00 too . 

I,m in my stand at least an hour before sunrise I use a summit viper and its really not that loud I just take my time. I love sitting in the dark and watching the sky slowly lighten up.The other day I called an owl to me .I'm hunting near a swamp and small river so there's always some kind of activity with water foul and critters moving about.I,m after a big swamp buck his scrapes always have swamp reeds around them I guess he gets them caught on his rack.

• Like 1