Scope movement

So after I was putting my gun away last Friday after sighting I noticed the scope on my gun actually slid in the scope rings. It was shooting dead on, on Friday so I don't want to mess with it but once the season is over I'm going to have to remount it I guess? My question is what can I do to make sure this doesn't happen. This scope was mounted at dicks a few years ago and I never touched it after (besides sighting in). It also happens to be a rust color.

ab6743f00c56a34854ba756a86e3753e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That ring looks loose, there should not be that large of gap between the base of the ring and the cap.  Also, the gap that does exists should be even from side to side of the ring.  You need to move the scope back to where it was mounted (provided it was mounted properly before (unlikely)).  The way it sits, the eye relief is likely wrong (or at least is different than it was).  In addition it is likely the scope radical in not level with the action anymore (which it should be).  My advice would be to move the scope back to it's original location, re-level, tighten the rings, and it won't move again.  Once this is done, you need to go back out and verify zero again.  The rust color is from the rings (they are steel) the scope tube is aluminum and wont rust.

Edited by Rack Attack
  • Like 2

The scope is moving because the rings are not tight and it could be a problem because for all you know the scope could have made a big move on the last shot you took. I know it will be a pain in the ass but I would not wait. I would remount the scope immediately and resight, better be safe than sorry because it is never too late to correct a known problem. 

Al 

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Ok, I am going to be that guy...sorry.....Your scope moved and you are seriously considering not messing with it? You HAVE to move the scope back, make sure its level and have the proper eye relief. AND you HAVE to go back to the range and site it back in. Maybe it will be dead on, maybe it won't. Why would you ever consider going into the woods with equipment you were not sure about?

• Like 3

Ok, I am going to be that guy...sorry.....Your scope moved and you are seriously considering not messing with it? You HAVE to move the scope back, make sure its level and have the proper eye relief. AND you HAVE to go back to the range and site it back in. Maybe it will be dead on, maybe it won't. Why would you ever consider going into the woods with equipment you were not sure about?

Oh I'm quite confident in my gun right now. Took 8 shots last Friday and all were in the black except one. The last two were in the x ring as well. All my shots were with in 2" but that's including before I adjusted it down. Each group was around 1 MOA. Right now the scope is on and shooting extremely well. That's why I'm not worried. This is all while the scope was moved. I am going to have it re mounted however.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Oh I'm quite confident in my gun right now. Took 8 shots last Friday and all were in the black except one. The last two were in the x ring as well. All my shots were with in 2" but that's including before I adjusted it down. Each group was around 1 MOA. Right now the scope is on and shooting extremely well. That's why I'm not worried. This is all while the scope was moved. I am going to have it re mounted however.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. I didn't realize you sited the gun in with the scope the way it is. From you post you made it sound like it moved after you sited it in. If that is the case I would still make sure that sucker is tight and will not move again during the season.

• Like 1

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. I didn't realize you sited the gun in with the scope the way it is. From you post you made it sound like it moved after you sited it in. If that is the case I would still make sure that sucker is tight and will not move again during the season.

Thats the plan right now. Once season is over I'll be re mounting it completely.

• Like 1

It's happened to me also AT, no worries. What you are seeing is the recoil effect from a slightly loose mount. You'll shoot fine in the woods like that, but your eye relief will be slightly shorter obviously.

Go hunt with it, then fix her up as recommended with blue loctite after the season.

Scopes are made of aluminum, the rust is from the steel rings.

What you can do to help in the future is to place some electrical tape or a thin fabric in between the scope and rings to give it more bite. But be very careful when you tighten the screws, you don't want to crush the scope or strip the mounts. Best to use a torque wrench/screwdriver to install.

Another option is you can have the rings lapped for maximum surface contact with the scope. That should also help.

It's happened to me also AT, no worries. What you are seeing is the recoil effect from a slightly loose mount. You'll shoot fine in the woods like that, but your eye relief will be slightly shorter obviously.

Go hunt with it, then fix her up as recommended with blue loctite after the season.

Scopes are made of aluminum, the rust is from the steel rings.

What you can do to help in the future is to place some electrical tape or a thin fabric in between the scope and rings to give it more bite. But be very careful when you tighten the screws, you don't want to crush the scope or strip the mounts. Best to use a torque wrench/screwdriver to install.

Another option is you can have the rings lapped for maximum surface contact with the scope. That should also help.

I think I'll be lapping the rings so I have better contact with the scope. Thanks for the info though! Might have to borrow a tourqe screwdriver to help with that. Positive side is it gives me an excuse to be at the range haha.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Alright, you're good, 1 thing I do to all my bases is use a paint pen and make a line on all the screws to easily tell if the are loose. Also I never use a mount that only has 1 screw on the strap.

How often do you find them coming loose?

22 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

This scope was mounted at dicks a few years ago and I never touched it after (besides sighting in). It also happens to be a rust color.

There's where your problem started. I'll occasionally take a rifle that already has the scope mounted to have a collimater used to get it on paper, but I always mount my own bases, rings & scopes myself. I had a shop owner, that was supposedly a "gunsmith" mound my scope once on a new M700 CDL that I purchased there and I ended up loosening all if the screws & tightening them down incrementally to take the bind off the scope tube.

14 hours ago, Rack Attack said:

That ring looks loose, there should not be that large of gap between the base of the ring and the cap.  Also, the gap that does exists should be even from side to side of the ring. 

The screws should be tightened down a little at a time alternating from side to side until, as pointed out above there is a small and even gap between the ring halves.

I use Loctite on the base screws but not the ring screws. It doesn't hurt to check the ring screws occasionally.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

There's where your problem started. I'll occasionally take a rifle that already has the scope mounted to have a collimater used to get it on paper, but I always mount my own bases, rings & scopes. I had a shop owner, that was supposedly a "gunsmith" do it once and I ended up loosening all if the screws & tightening them down incrementally to take the bind off the scope tube.

The screws should be tightened down a little at a time alternating from side to side until, as pointed out above there is a small and even gap between the ring halves.

I use Loctite on the base screws but not the ring screws. It doesn't hurt to check the ring screws occasionally.

At the time I didnt know how to do that so i relied on dicks. They did it once and it was alright but the scope was a little canted and the second time the gap was way bigger on one side. Looks like ill have to do it my self. 

Hopefully the scope mounting issue is resolved, at least for this deer season. BUT... There is a lesson to be learned from this experience! Never, never, never put your trust in  "... so i relied on dick's ..." or most other big-box sporting goods stores for any gunsmithing, archery advice, product suggestions, etc. Period!!!

• Like 1

Hopefully the scope mounting issue is resolved, at least for this deer season. BUT... There is a lesson to be learned from this experience! Never, never, never put your trust in  "... so i relied on dick's ..." or most other big-box sporting goods stores for any gunsmithing, archery advice, product suggestions, etc. Period!!!

I agree with you. But like I said I didn't know any better and didn't know anyone at the time that could help. The only people I knew that hunted and were close enough to help mainly hunted with iron sights or has someone else do it for them. Now I know a few things so I do them myself mainly

I agree with you. But like I said I didn't know any better and didn't know anyone at the time that could help. The only people I knew that hunted and were close enough to help mainly hunted with iron sights or has someone else do it for them. Now I know a few things so I do them myself mainly

We all start somewhere.

• Like 1