Lansky Sharpeners

Looking at the possible purchase of the Lansky sharpening system for myself.

Does anyone have any experience with either of their systems?

I see that they have a stone only and diamond system that use rods and a base to keep the same sharpening angle; both are pretty reasonable at 30.00 if they work as advertised.

Thanks in advance....

I've had a Lansky setup for a long time and have never had a complaint with it. It's slow going on really good knives with high quality steel, especially if you need to 'rebuild' an edge, but any hand-sharpeners are like that. If speed is an issue you can shell out the $800 or so for a Tormek wet grinder like I had in my woodshop for chisels and plane irons. I really miss that Tormek.:-]

Jeremy K, if I may ask, what don't/didn't you like about the Lansky? Just curious, because I've never tried anything else in that category of sharpeners.

• Like 1

Got a few sharpening systems . Lansky and others are fine, just be aware of a couple things. Due to their preset angles , you may need to reprofile the primary edge the first time you use it .Lets say the sharpening angles are , 20, 25 and 30. Now 25 is the often recommended one for field knives, but if yours is currently  at say 22 , you'll need to reprofile the whole edge . 

Many use a marker to color the edge so they can see if the stones are hitting the edge correctly . One issue I have with these type systems, is the spine of your knife fitting in the groove of the clamp correctly , clip points and knives  with swedges will not clamp well and wobble around. Long blades you'll need to move the clamp as you work the edge or the angle with change as move out towards the end .

Each time you clamp it in its easy to be off center a little, it's not a precise system really, use the marker each time you'll see . The average guy who can't free hand or hone a lasting edge will be satisfied though .

Of course convex edges as found on many fixed blade hunting knives can't be sharpened with them, and keep the convex edge anyway .

Many factory knives  and all customs can be returned to the marker for sharpening , often free or just shipping cost . Spyderco does it for free, they also test the lock and if it fails, you get a new knife free, I've had them buff out scratches as well on ones I've sent in . You may want to check , if so send it in if its bad, then just touch it up regularly through the year and you should be fine .

i have a different system I use on really bad edges and a Spyderco Tri Angle system for easy touch ups .

Many swear by Razors Edge System and one more who's name I forget.

Many factors affect the ease of sharpening as well as edge holding .

Steel, heat treat, inclusive edge angle, primary and secondary bevels, thickness, blade profiles, flat, hollow ground, semi hollow and on and on .

well I gotta shower walk the dog and be to work in less then an hour now....

You'll probably be happy with it just make sure to clamp it the same each time and use the marker on the edge to make sure. It's kind like a gateway system, it's good but there are much better , soon you'll be cutting free hanging tiolet paper .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

I have a Gatco-similar to a Lansky. I used it and got good results for years. I bought Work Sharp belt sharpener a few years ago-I am sold on it. I have heard people say they take too much material off the knife, but I am not a butcher-if I wear out a $9 boning knife in 4 years instead of 8, I can live with that.

• Like 1

I have the Lansky diamond stones and love the thing. It puts a razor like edge on my knives and touch ups are easy. I thought my knives were sharp until I got this thing, I can use my field dressing knife to shave if I wanted. How long the knife holds an edge depends on the knife and the hardness of the blade. Get a quality knife and you shouldn't need to sharpen it every time just touch up with the fine stone and you're done.

This is the one I have. The diamond stones are nice because there is no need for oil.

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-LKDMD-4-Stone-Precision-Sharpening/dp/B000B8L6LS/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1482153533&sr=1-2&keywords=Lansky

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Will_C said:

I have a Gatco-similar to a Lansky. I used it and got good results for years. I bought Work Sharp belt sharpener a few years ago-I am sold on it. I have heard people say they take too much material off the knife, but I am not a butcher-if I wear out a $9 boning knife in 4 years instead of 8, I can live with that.

Same exact situation here. I have the Gatco and have had it for years, but the Worksharp is just a quick no fuss sharpener. My Buck folding hunter sharpens up like a scalpel in minutes!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hunter49 said:

I have a Lansky & I used it maybe 2 x's . It does a nice job but I think it's a pain in the butt, its takes some time.  I have the basic stones + the one for serrated blades. You can have it for $25 bucks + shipping.  PM me if interested.

PM sent