Do you remove sling while actual hunting

turkeyfeathers

59 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Is it these guys?  I'm going to have to check them out.

http://www.quakeinc.com/The-Claw-Rifle-Sling.php

yup. I have 3 styles but like shape that is far left the best. My heavier guns is is nice to have the very wide one but I never carry a pack if I am doing something like chuck hunting. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I remove it 99% of the time when deer hunting or spring gobbler hunting.  I'd love to rid my slings of the newer "Uncle Mikes" swivels that have the thread on/off barrels........gimme my old ones back, PLEASE.

i leave my slings on indefinitely but do take them off for things like cleaning.  all my slings have these..
https://outdoorconnection.com/?product=talon-swivels-with-toc-swivel-bases

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

i leave my slings on indefinitely but do take them off for things like cleaning.  all my slings have these..
https://outdoorconnection.com/?product=talon-swivels-with-toc-swivel-bases

Never seen those exact ones. I like the ones that have the threaded end so once you screw them in they can not be releases. Has a simple push type flip open on my once and it was the one on my tube cap for my 1100 . gun flipped back and landed right on my scope. That can't happen with these. 

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/684015/blackhawk-lok-down-sling-swivels-1-1-4-steel-blue?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Shooting+-+Slings-_-BLACKHAWK!-_-684015&gclid=Cj0KEQiAkO7CBRDeqJ_ahuiPrtEBEiQAbYupJQKIAJQfD4fhZo71Dv6y1lyWmldfuDdb_maNq08EvrIaAgI-8P8HAQ

27 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Never seen those exact ones. I like the ones that have the threaded end so once you screw them in they can not be releases. Has a simple push type flip open on my once and it was the one on my tube cap for my 1100 . gun flipped back and landed right on my scope. That can't happen with these. 

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/684015/blackhawk-lok-down-sling-swivels-1-1-4-steel-blue?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Shooting+-+Slings-_-BLACKHAWK!-_-684015&gclid=Cj0KEQiAkO7CBRDeqJ_ahuiPrtEBEiQAbYupJQKIAJQfD4fhZo71Dv6y1lyWmldfuDdb_maNq08EvrIaAgI-8P8HAQ

same type of swivel that come with the slogan ultraflex slings.  i even changed one set out to the ones i posted.  haven't had a problem with them ever.  they have a pretty stout spring in them. an incident like that though would definitely not sit well with me.

Anyone who doesn't know how to use a ready sling position is losing out on a great shooting aid. The only two guys I knew who would remove it tended to be careless with their gun going up and down stands, (carrying not slinging) and like all pocketed items, would misplace or lose the sling. Drove me nuts.

I don't even have a sling. I have yet to drop my gun except when I was basically standing in front of my car. I did experiment with a sling one day but it caught constantly on the capless turrets on the gun I was using (I don't use capless now for hunting).

I will say I have a backpack with me 100% of the time and it is capable of strapping in a gun, so if I need both hands free I can just throw it onto that. If my pack couldn't do that I would have a sling, but the pack also does it with bow.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:21 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

So I saw Bowmanmike post up a pic in ML harvest thread (without a sling) and thought of this question. Does anyone remove the sling while sitting in their stand or blind to avoid it swinging or bumping anything while shouldering the gun? I know once while taking my nephew turkey hunting his sling bumped the little stick blind and spooked the bird. All the intentions were for us to call in a bird and him to kill it. He was about 20 yards away from me . Bird came in silent, I never raised my gun as he was on him. He swung just a bit and bumped the blind. Bird saw and heard it and started to boogie. I "putted", bird froze and I dropped him. Not the way I envisioned the hunt but still memories for us both. Just curious if there's any "sling removers" on here

I hate the dam things. I use it when I kill a deer/Turkey and dragging or on the road. I find they get in the way and the movement will be spotted quickly. 

Mine never come off. I use it to steady for long shots and will hold sling where it hooks to forearm for other shots. Not often that I grab hold forearm of gun when shooting unless a pump. I've gotten quite fast at getting gun to a shouldered shooting position from a shouldered sling if needed.

I have two slings, one that I keep on my deer rifle and I've never taken off since it's been on and the other I swap back and forth from my shotgun and .22. Can't say a sling has ever cost me on opportunity so I'll keep it on while hunting for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk