Found an Arrowhead

vizslas

I found this expandable sitting just over the back strap when i  did my last deer  a couple days ago. That deer got lucky with the arrow .The broad-head went  in side ways and didn't cut any of the muscle. it was sitting between the fat and the silver skin. Although I am sure he had quite a back ache. There seemed to be bodily fluids starting to envelope the arrow head. Kinda nasty looking stuff.. Again fortunately for me that bucks time ran out and I got an unmolested piece of meat. Practice , take quality shots and please use the right equipment for the job. At least the arrow shaft was loose enough  to unscrew itself and give the deer some relief. I chose that deer out of four in the field that day. Looks like the hunting gods were guiding my  bullet that day

backstraparrow.jpg

backstraparrow2.jpg

backstraparrow3.jpg

• Like 6

Wouldn't matter what head it was it wouldn't have killed the deer. Pretty strange that the head didn't deploy at all yet there was obviously some limited penetration. One thing it's didn't do is redeploy itself.
Goes to show you that no matter how unlikely something seems if the possibility exists then in an unlimited number of applications and even the very unlikely will eventually transpire.

Looks like a long hail of mary shot just not enough energy to pentrate fully at the point of impact, it obviously opened,, who knows how long it was being tugged in all directions before the shaft came loose, moving the broadhead in out and around..

Of course theres always the possibility of a blow gun ...

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader

My butcher said he finds numerous broadheads. I think the amount of fixed to mechanical is not notewirthy, it seems both have poor shooters. He also finds bullets, the usual few 22s and even had one with a pellet lodges under the skin in the neck of one.

He also butchers a bunch of deer from an area they sharp shoot the deer due to overpopulation in an area that has no open hunting and he said the amount of deer with old car injuries is staggering. My brothers buck this year had a healed up broken pelvic bone.

• Like 1

I couldn't imagine the terror of finding a broadhead, buried in the flesh of some deer I was butchering.  Damn sure I'd find the thing with my off hand while grabbing at hide/meat etc. 

Boy that'd PMO..........................

OK, NOW I'll go snap a picture of that broadhead I mentioned earlier, stay tuned.

Two pics, see if they are orientated correctly via the phony phone.....

Looks like they'll show up correct.  Two of the blades are bent pretty good, must have hit something purty hard in the deer (neck????) or started out that way although I hope the hell not!!

The OD of the shaft is .348"  Does that sound like a xbow shaft diameter or just a standard carbon shaft from a vertical bow??????

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

I found one in almost the same spot a few years ago, also a mechanical.   I had to trim out about 4 chops to get rid of the "questionable" meat.  The buck was behaving normally, showing no signs of the injury, actually coming in on the trail of a doe I had just killed.   Little did he know he would end jointing her in "deer Heaven".

I think that most arrows that hit high like that, are the result of string jump when the deer quickly reacts to the sound of the bow's release, and drops down before the arrow arrives.   An easy correction for that is to always aim for a low heart shot when shooting at alert deer.  If the deer stays where it was, you get a quick heart kill, if it drops, you get a center, double-lung shot.  If you don't know what an alert deer looks like, it is safe to assume that any buck that has responded to a grunt call or rattle will be "alert" when they get into range, as will any deer that catches a glimpse of your draw.