FREE COLLEGE !!!!

Uptown posted this:  "Why would ANY troubled city kid want to leave the city for some backward upstate town when they could stay home and attend a CUNY school also for free?"

I don't know, but the counties in the Catskills are loaded with kids from the city, Staten Island and Long Island who attend school here.  Many are doing and selling drugs, (opioid abuse is huge) as well as getting arrested for crimes like robbery, assault and rape.  Before you claim to know anything about it you should come up here and see for yourself.  Go to any of the Sheriff's offices, in any of the Catskill counties and ask for info on crimes committed by downstate students who attend any of their SUNY campuses.  These kids are burdening residents of this area with tons of expense for law enforcement manpower.  They contribute nothing to the area while they're here and we look forward to any college break where they go home for awhile.  It's not a delusion, it's a reality, of which you seem to have an avoidance issue.

22 hours ago, diplomat019 said:

What college is this taking place at?   I wish it was at mine when i went lol.  Although i don't support cuomos plan, i must say that your statement isnt true.  I found out the hard way my first semester that just showing up wont get you a 2.5.  Im sure others can say the same 

Just about every SUNY school around here.  Do a check and see how many students at SUNY schools have an average lower than 2.5 GPA and get back to me.

There was a time when college just wasn't for everyone... either because of financial reasons, grades, or choice of occupation. Somewhere along the line people got the notion that every kid should go to college. Use to be if you couldn't afford it you didn't go. Now parents send their kids to college regardless of whether they can afford it or not. If you have your heart set on college it would be a good idea to save the money, get good grades and make sure you are going for a degree where you can actually find employment when it's all over. If you decide to borrow the money you must understand that it is an investment in YOUR future with a debt to be owed for that investment. The cost of your education is on you... If you can't afford it there are plenty of openings for electricians, carpenters, plumbers, heavy machinery operators etc... with payed, on the job, training if you want to work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rattler said:

Just about every SUNY school around here.  Do a check and see how many students at SUNY schools have an average lower than 2.5 GPA and get back to me.

I did a quick search but couldnt find any details. Ill take your word on it.  

If you guys have time YouTube "ron paul student loans".   He is brilliant.  I know im a Paul supporter but the man is so practical its hard to disagree with.  

23 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

O and I'll be the first to admit that when college is free, kids will be very likely to blow it away on partying. I know because I did it. Like I said in my previous post, I went for a year but it was fully funded by my grandmother. She was filthy rich and I knew damn well that money was nothing but a drop in the bucket for her estate. In my defense, I repeatedly told my parents I didn't want to go and fought going all the way to the day they finally gave in and let me purse guiding instead of college.

I spent way more time partying and sleeping in class than anything. I did pay attention to my military history class cause I'm into history but everything else meant nothing to me.

But once I got out west for guide school that's when life really started for me. I met some awesome people and had amazing experiences. Wouldn't trade those years for anything. I know damn well I'd never have the life skills I do now if I had stayed in college.

I blew it off, too. College was paid for me, each year, all expenses. I put in a modicum of effort, including a withdrawal on a course each semester (better than getting a fail), and then make up for it in the summer. End result is I got out in four years, on time, with poor grades, and a worthless degree. I then went into a technical school and, really through dumb luck, now have a good career in IT. I don't know that having it paid for me was the problem, though, as I had to take out a loan for the technical school (and almost blew that off, too). I think for me--and many people--is that college is done at the wrong time, and it focuses on crap. Why were they making me take electives in sociology? Why did I have to take a course in french when I was getting a bachelor in science? So stupid, such a waste of time.

As an adult I have self-taught in many areas, just because I want to. I have learned more about writing by reading a book or two about it than in all the years in school. I've learned more about history on wikipedia--simply because I find it interesting now--than I did in years of forced schooling.

The education system as a whole is horrendously broken. The amount of time wasted by disinterested kids is staggering. I essentially spent the first half of my life bored, hating school, and putting in about 50% effort or less, daydreaming 80% of my days.

Tuition is way too high in the US but I do not want to pay for some lazy ditz to get a 2.5 GPA in a garbage area of study. It is not just a unicorn; there are actual people--I know one--with degrees who work at Starbucks. How are any of us better spending our money on that? IMO at the very least, if you want the state to pay for your degree you need to put in a certain level of effort and get a certain GPA, else you lose it. 

1 hour ago, Core said:

Sounds like too much worse. Far better to rack up $30k/year in debt while playing Battlefield in the dorm and skipping class.

I've had 8 wash out of an apprenticeship in the last two years in Baltimore. They did alright in the schooling but couldn't show up for work or got booted on random drug tests. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I've had 8 wash out of an apprenticeship in the last two years in Baltimore. They did alright in the schooling but couldn't show up for work or got booted on random drug tests. 

I honestly get not showing up. Like maybe you're just too darn tired, lazy, hungover, whatever. But if you know drug testing happens, failing one requires long term premeditated stupidness.

15 minutes ago, Core said:

I honestly get not showing up. Like maybe you're just too darn tired, lazy, hungover, whatever. But if you know drug testing happens, failing one requires long term premeditated stupidness.

I don't get the not showing up for work. I mean sure stuff happens but it is habitual. It wasn't like they got canned after one absence. It just happens that all 8 of these candidates were hired from a program to give inner city youth a chance. All 8 said the work was just too hard. I think they lack motivation and HUNGER is a great motivator. 

On 1/5/2017 at 4:12 AM, Doc said:

Having to pay money is a great motivator. When you have to throw in your own cash, the effort that the student puts into their college education is reflected in a better education. When the students have a stake in their education, they seem to go at it with a whole different attitude. No motivation or appreciation comes from "free stuff". Take a look at what is coming out of our "free" public school system, and you will be looking at what will come out of our colleges if this proposal becomes law.

My youngest sees this now , he's in his second year for his nursing degree and he says you can tell the kids that are on a free or almost free ride. We told both boys we are only paying half of their tuition just for that reason they need some sort of taking responsibility for them selves. 

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Deal with it weekly. it will be worse when NY legalizes recreational use. 

Without getting into a whole political, right wing/left wing debate, I cannot see how if a state legals the use of certain recreational drugs one can be punished by a private company for using what is legal in the state. There really is no difference between smoking a joint or drinking a beer yet companies can punish people for using one and not the other. And as a side note. As longer as one is able to show up at work and complete their job responsibilities it is none of any employers business what their employees do on their time away from work.   

23 minutes ago, Uptown Redneck said:

Without getting into a whole political, right wing/left wing debate, I cannot see how if a state legals the use of certain recreational drugs one can be punished by a private company for using what is legal in the state. There really is no difference between smoking a joint or drinking a beer yet companies can punish people for using one and not the other. And as a side note. As longer as one is able to show up at work and complete their job responsibilities it is none of any employers business what their employees do on their time away from work.   

hmmm maybe if it impairs their abilities. I sure don't want to be working around anyone that runs heavy machines nor would I want anyone that works for me and around tools and could get hurt high. I'm not going to pay workers comp if the person hurts themself under in the influence.

Not to go off topic.  But people will smoke wether it's legalized or not. And smoking on the job will be illegal just like drinking on the job.  I dont smoke not because it's illegal.  I just dont care for it.  People arent going to smoke pot because it's legal.  

So no need to worry about people operating heavy machinery while high.  It wont be allowed just like drinking isn't allowed.  

36 minutes ago, Uptown Redneck said:

I actually agree with you to a point. Alcohol is actually legal yet you can terminate employment if someone shows up under the influence. Very easy test for that. Pot is a tougher nut to crack becasue the available test isn't testing for whether someone is high or not. it is testing for a metabolite in the body that is a byproduct of the use. That stays there for weeks. So a guy that smokes on Friday night, shows up for work on Monday and gets pulled for a random drug test will hit positive. He isn't high but the test shows positive. I see this becoming a legal nightmare with some states legal and others not. The difference in the state and federal law adds another level to it as well. It will end up in the courts in the near future,i woudl expect. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

Not to go off topic.  But people will smoke wether it's legalized or not. And smoking on the job will be illegal just like drinking on the job.  I dont smoke not because it's illegal.  I just dont care for it.  People arent going to smoke pot because it's legal.  

So no need to worry about people operating heavy machinery while high.  It wont be allowed just like drinking isn't allowed.  

I've smelled it on the job and I have fired guys for booze in a thermos. In all honesty, in my younger days on construction and workign out of town, i never missed a day of work from partying the night before. But there were probably a few mornings that I wouldn't have passed a test when I showed up. Times change. 

Sorry for the tangent. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I don't get the not showing up for work. I mean sure stuff happens but it is habitual. It wasn't like they got canned after one absence. It just happens that all 8 of these candidates were hired from a program to give inner city youth a chance. All 8 said the work was just too hard. I think they lack motivation and HUNGER is a great motivator. 

FWIW some coworkers and I worked in a mentoring program a couple years back with a city school, and the level of interest/engagement from students was pathetic. Just couldn't be bothered at all. 

1 hour ago, Uptown Redneck said:

It is unavoidably political and actually makes a lot of sense. I have a friend who sent me a picture he took of a car a few weeks ago. One of the bumper stickers said I ♥ Crack Whores. The other said I Masturbate. Now, I thought this was pretty damn funny to have on a car (I have no stickers on mine, though). It's also legal. But, if you owned a company would you want that guy parking at the front office with clients walking in? Businesses must always be able to fire for things that are legal. 

26 minutes ago, Core said:

It is unavoidably political and actually makes a lot of sense. I have a friend who sent me a picture he took of a car a few weeks ago. One of the bumper stickers said I ♥ Crack Whores. The other said I Masturbate. Now, I thought this was pretty damn funny to have on a car (I have no stickers on mine, though). It's also legal. But, if you owned a company would you want that guy parking at the front office with clients walking in? Businesses must always be able to fire for things that are legal. 

The reality is, even without being able to terminate someone for a specific activity there are hundreds of reasons they can use. 

2 hours ago, chas0218 said:

hmmm maybe if it impairs their abilities. I sure don't want to be working around anyone that runs heavy machines nor would I want anyone that works for me and around tools and could get hurt high. I'm not going to pay workers comp if the person hurts themself under in the influence.

I guess I needed to add "while not showing up or being impaired while at work"

1 hour ago, Core said:

I ♥ Crack Whores. The other said I Masturbate.

Businesses must always be able to fire for things that are legal. 

You would think the crack whore would do away with the need to masturbate. And I don't think either bumper sticker is in any way grounds to be fired over. It;s just an employee expressing his beliefs, Same as any other bumper sticker. 

17 minutes ago, Uptown Redneck said:

You would think the crack whore would do away with the need to masturbate. And I don't think either bumper sticker is in any way grounds to be fired over. It;s just an employee expressing his beliefs, Same as any other bumper sticker. 

Maybe in a big parking lot but if I had a small business and clients had to walk past one of my employees' cars with that on the back he would be given a bottle of goo gone and if he refused he'd be shown the door. I know you agree.

1 hour ago, Core said:

Maybe in a big parking lot but if I had a small business and clients had to walk past one of my employees' cars with that on the back he would be given a bottle of goo gone and if he refused he'd be shown the door. I know you agree.

Well I hope then your business would have a substantial legal reserve set up for the lawsuit that would follow.