FREE COLLEGE !!!!

When when in the double H L( it's a saying I heard years ago) will people wake up and realize NOTHING is FREE...Nothing. So Cuomo is trying to giving away more of your money and is trying to "Lead the way" to not only him taking it, but the feds doing so as well. Yes the whole country college is free.  Oh wait hold the the boat...for those of you making ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND  or LESS a year.

I wonder often......... Why certain people just can't choke on a chicken bone, sandwich,aspirate on a Manhattan, develop a unknown allergy to, anything...Why is it Mother nature can't be a bit more selective in her " randomness of unexpected tragedies". She has to see these "do Gooders" bumbling around screwing so many lives up to make themselves look and feel good. Why is it that bunches of good people are always in the wrong place at the wrong time and these types of people skip along dropping their little turds for the rest of us to clean up?...OK I'm done. It took me longer to clean this up than expected:mda:

• Like 1

Same bill is trying to push through ammo limits and other ammo related restrictions they think because they publicize the free college it will go through easier and they are right. We will be limited to 20 rounds per every 90 days. Looks like PA will be getting a lot more of my business.

• Like 1

Government has no money that it hasn't taken from taxpayers.  Taxpayers absorb the cost of anything the government claims is "free".  We will pay the costs.

It also needs to be known that anything free is often perceived as worthless.  Many students will just go to college to avoid getting a job.  Do they require a "C" or better grade point average to continue, or can kids, and even adults, attend for 10 years without graduating?  Will they get food stamps, welfare and other taxpayer funded benefits at the same time?  Will those who don't qualify for "free" tuition get gouged to cover the cost of those who need not pay?

Will colleges inflate grades for these students to keep the money flowing in?  Will employers consider a county college education to be worth anything in the future when anyone can get one for free?

WHAT IS TO BE GAINED FROM THIS PROPOSAL?  

Is it just a way to get taxpayers to absorb the cost of political indoctrination of the state's youth, so in the future they will vote for the hand that fed them?  Considering what colleges today are doing to our youth, that seems to be the most logical explanation. 

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Government has no money that it hasn't taken from taxpayers.  Taxpayers absorb the cost of anything the government claims is "free".  We will pay the costs.

It also needs to be known that anything free is often perceived as worthless.  Many students will just go to college to avoid getting a job.  Do they require a "C" or better grade point average to continue, or can kids, and even adults, attend for 10 years without graduating?  Will they get food stamps, welfare and other taxpayer funded benefits at the same time?  Will those who don't qualify for "free" tuition get gouged to cover the cost of those who need not pay?

Will colleges inflate grades for these students to keep the money flowing in?  Will employers consider a county college education to be worth anything in the future when anyone can get one for free?

WHAT IS TO BE GAINED FROM THIS PROPOSAL?  

Is it just a way to get taxpayers to absorb the cost of political indoctrination of the state's youth, so in the future they will vote for the hand that fed them?  Considering what colleges today are doing to our youth, that seems to be the most logical explanation. 

2.5 GPA

3 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Same bill is trying to push through ammo limits and other ammo related restrictions they think because they publicize the free college it will go through easier and they are right. We will be limited to 20 rounds per every 90 days. Looks like PA will be getting a lot more of my business.

I want to say that unfortunately I can not find the source that linked these 2 things in the same bill so take it with a grain of salt whether this is true or not. I myself am skeptical until I find the proof again, they might have been 2 different proposed bills..

Edited by chas0218

Today a 2.5 GPA is handed out to every student as a reward for just coming to class.  Tests, if they are even given, are not used to affect the final grade unless they earn the student a higher one.  

A lot of upstate folks are of the opinion this proposal is a way to get troubled kids out of the city and put them upstate in community college.  Of course, they bring trouble with them and it becomes an upstate problem.

So, we will pay higher taxes to the state AND the local tax office, which will have to absorb the cost of dealing with the trouble.

3 hours ago, Rattler said:

A lot of upstate folks are of the opinion this proposal is a way to get troubled kids out of the city and put them upstate in community college.  Of course, they bring trouble with them and it becomes an upstate problem

Twisted, delusional thinking at its finest. I suggest you take advantage of any free higher education opportunities that might present themselves because clearly you need to improve upon your own level of education. Why would ANY troubled city kid want to leave the city for some backward upstate town when they could stay home and attend a CUNY school also for free?

4 hours ago, Rattler said:

Today a 2.5 GPA is handed out to every student as a reward for just coming to class.  Tests, if they are even given, are not used to affect the final grade unless they earn the student a higher one.  

What college is this taking place at?   I wish it was at mine when i went lol.  Although i don't support cuomos plan, i must say that your statement isnt true.  I found out the hard way my first semester that just showing up wont get you a 2.5.  Im sure others can say the same 

• Like 1

I seriously hope it doesn't get passed. We need less lazy "college educated" idiots and more hard working people. You don't need a college degree to make good money, just need ambition. I went to college for a year before I realized what a waste of my time it was. I spent the next 4 years living a more fulfilling life than most people have in a lifetime. And now I make over 80k a year with no degree at 26yrs old

If any type of schooling were to be free, I'd be in favor of trade schools being funded over regular colleges. Let's get people trained to be skilled in a certain trade/craft. I think that would do more to strengthen the backbone of the middle class than giving away free liberal arts degrees.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

If any type of schooling were to be free, I'd be in favor of trade schools being funded over regular colleges. Let's get people trained to be skilled in a certain trade/craft. I think that would do more to strengthen the backbone of the middle class than giving away free liberal arts degrees.

I couldn't agree more. Hardly a day goes by that I do not regret not learning a trade. The only things I got for getting a college degree is loans to repay and a job I can't stand. 

Having to pay money is a great motivator. When you have to throw in your own cash, the effort that the student puts into their college education is reflected in a better education. When the students have a stake in their education, they seem to go at it with a whole different attitude. No motivation or appreciation comes from "free stuff". Take a look at what is coming out of our "free" public school system, and you will be looking at what will come out of our colleges if this proposal becomes law.

• Like 6

Having to pay money is a great motivator. When you have to throw in your own cash, the effort that the student puts into their college education is reflected in a better education. When the students have a stake in their education, they seem to go at it with a whole different attitude. No motivation or appreciation comes from "free stuff". Take a look at what is coming out of our "free" public school system, and you will be looking at what will come out of our colleges if this proposal becomes law.

As someone who is 60k in debt and has been in a world of hurt bc of student loans this is right. You start giving tuition away kids will care less weather they pass or fail. They have no stake in it. Basically will be party fest and the kids who actually want to learn will suffer from it. As good as free college sounds it doesn't need to be free. It needs to be low interest 1 or 2 % not 13 or more like some of my loans are and I've seen worse. Education should not be a profitable business banks should not be making millions of 18 year old kids

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

As good as free college sounds it doesn't need to be free. It needs to be low interest 1 or 2 % not 13 or more like some of my loans are and I've seen worse. Education should not be a profitable business banks should not be making millions of 18 year old kids

I cant like this enough.  Its a huge business.  

Fortunately i was able to consolidate before the rates went up.  But I will still be paying my loans back when my son is entering college.  Sickening to think about     

I cant like this enough.  Its a huge business.  
Fortunately i was able to consolidate before the rates went up.  But I will still be paying my loans back when my son is entering college.  Sickening to think about     

Not just sickening it is going to be a business habit that hurts our country more than anything else I can think of. I graduated in 08 when there were no jobs to speak of and the banks don't care. So even when the job comes and you make what you should many still have to live with parents can't buy a new car or toys and can't spend money to help the economy instead it all goes to money hungry banks.
We need to invest in our youth not get rich off them

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

I could'nt agree more ... our country is seriously short of skilled trades people !  Learn a trade and never starve !

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Uptown Redneck said:

I couldn't agree more. Hardly a day goes by that I do not regret not learning a trade. The only things I got for getting a college degree is loans to repay and a job I can't stand. 

Guess you didn't major in English grammar and punctuation huh?! 

9 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

I seriously hope it doesn't get passed. We need less lazy "college educated" idiots and more hard working people. You don't need a college degree to make good money, just need ambition. I went to college for a year before I realized what a waste of my time it was. I spent the next 4 years living a more fulfilling life than most people have in a lifetime. And now I make over 80k a year with no degree at 26yrs old

Yup trade school would be the best if any schooling was free. I live in an area where there is a lot of industry and their biggest gripe is they can not get someone qualified to run a machine (lathe, mill, CNC or manual, ect). They lack work ethic and motivation, this quote is straight from 2 HR reps at a couple companies "They want a paycheck for doing nothing, most of the time at the end of interviews they ask how much vacation time and sick do they get." Personally the first thing I asked after my interviews was when is the earliest I can start and how much will be my starting pay.I could and still careless about the time off I get. I'm not a work-a-holic but I go to work everyday I physically can and try my best while there. You don't get that in many teens nowadays. The only hard working students I have had are the farm and country kids, you know the ones that aren't handed everything.

15 hours ago, Uptown Redneck said:

Twisted, delusional thinking at its finest. I suggest you take advantage of any free higher education opportunities that might present themselves because clearly you need to improve upon your own level of education. Why would ANY troubled city kid want to leave the city for some backward upstate town when they could stay home and attend a CUNY school also for free?

that might be true but BS more so than not.  i know of people who came from bad areas that left to go to college.  they were in EYP and they didn't just come from a nicer neighborhood with a drug problem here or there.  most i knew of wanted to make something of themselves to get out with the means to go back and visit and if possible help their family move to a better area even if still within a city.  hell not the norm but a few couldn't go back even to visit family because others they used to hang with would shoot them for up and leaving.  i know you disagree with others on here and probably hold a slight grudge but try to be a little humble.

i do agree with you and others in that a trade or degree for a specific field of employment would be money better spent.  probability of job placement and utilizing the degree to do the job would be much higher.  nothing is free though.  even if their degree is, when they get out they'll be paying for someone else's.

I agree 100 percent but it only is true if your willing to relocate any time your outta work.

Not necessarily. If you can be trained to perform a certain craft you can absolutely be trained to do something else. Especially if you want it. I went from full time hunting guide, to CDL truck operator when I moved back to NY and then ended up getting into the millers union at the flour mill here in Albany. Milling is even something that colleges out in the western state have 4 year programs for. Which I think is dumb because anyone of fairly high intelligence can learn to do it without the 100k student loan

. I work with a guy who went to college for milling in Kansas, he makes the same amount of money I do and we perform the same job. Except I don't have a 800 dollar a month payment on student loans.

Sometimes being able to take your skills with you to a new area is a good thing. I eventually plan on moving my family back out west. And by being a miller for the 5th largest mill in the country, I can get a job as a miller anywhere in the country now. We all actually get job offers on a pretty regular basis in states all over the place. If we can get our youth trained in just one thing, they can make it in this world, could it require a move, maybe. But that's a lot better than living in mom and dads basement until their 45 working min wage.
  • Like 1

Mike Rowe, the "Dirty Jobs" guy, has a foundation set up to encourage young people to learn a trade. It's called mikeroweWORKS. He runs some amazing programs to enlighten young people about possibilities other than enormous college debt, as well as providing scholarships for trade schools. There's a lot of money to be made in the trades that keep everything else running. People tend to forget that.

Edit: Words I had not written were placed in this post.???

Edited by philoshop

16 hours ago, Uptown Redneck said:

I can tell you it happened in Herkimer with so many coming up for the Community college. 

O and I'll be the first to admit that when college is free, kids will be very likely to blow it away on partying. I know because I did it. Like I said in my previous post, I went for a year but it was fully funded by my grandmother. She was filthy rich and I knew damn well that money was nothing but a drop in the bucket for her estate. In my defense, I repeatedly told my parents I didn't want to go and fought going all the way to the day they finally gave in and let me purse guiding instead of college.

I spent way more time partying and sleeping in class than anything. I did pay attention to my military history class cause I'm into history but everything else meant nothing to me.

But once I got out west for guide school that's when life really started for me. I met some awesome people and had amazing experiences. Wouldn't trade those years for anything. I know damn well I'd never have the life skills I do now if I had stayed in college.

The other thing I don't agree with is federal or state aid towards useless degrees. Study what you want but the tax payers should only be "aiding" in a degree that would be useful in the economy. I probably already posted this but about a year ago I was hiring for a $15-20 and hour receptionist. I got over 150 resumes in two weeks and had to pull the ad. Probably 50% had unrelated Bachelor's degrees and 20% with Masters degrees. I have to chuckle reading the resumes with some of the "majors" that are listed. 

• Like 1