After Christmas sales..

growalot

I really hate to shop but there are times I never shop... The first pre-holiday sales and the first after holiday sales...Now a few weeks after Christmas the extra % off clearances have begun with extra mark downs before all that... I just picked up a pair of water proof insulated hunting pants. Marked down from 129.97 to 69.00 with 20% off that and my rewards of 50.00 and free shipping...my cost including tax 8.21... I have been looking for a new pair a while now...I'm trying not to wear out my favorite pair between turkey bow through gun they get worn daily for months.

Mr B. liked a couple of his X-mas gifts so well he just called and asked me to order 2 more for his office...both went down a buck in price each...I'll take a couple of extra dollars on what was a good deal to start with any day. So Depending on how the spending climate has been ...there should be some really good sales gearing up on certain things right now...

I have been out shopping between day after Christmas and now more than all of 2016 combined. I have seen some mark down items, but not near the deals of other years. Affordable hunting cloths I have looked at in the stores are just plain crap. All made in foreign countries ny cheap child labor.  The prices keep steadily going up on consumer items and the discounted prices just don't seem to be such a good deal as they once were. Government says 2 % inflation rate but seems higher. Maybe Trump will put a high tariff on imported goods and send this country into a recession.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Anytime I say I used my rewards you can count on the store being Gander Mnt....Many may not like that store but I have gotten some great stuff from them... Then again The reason I hate shopping is I am a crazed researcher...I take an item and google it and the reviews and prices over many sites. I also take reviews with a # of salt because many are incentive based reviews now...Nice you gave a great review for a reduced or free product and hope to be chosen for more. Also half the reviews out there are for a totally different product...some are easy to catch ,others not.:rolleyes:

thus the:

I have been looking for a new pair a while now.

a while for me is a few years....

17 minutes ago, Belo said:

i almost bought a pair of new muck boots for 20% off gander but didn't. my old ones are good but 10 years in are starting to finally show wear. for the first time in maybe forever I'm pretty set with my gear.

I am in the same boat.  I walked around Cabelas with my wife yesterday afternoon because we happened to be in Buffalo and I have never been there.  I literally left with an $8 clearance baseball hat.  Don't need a thing.  Honestly the sales didn't seem all that great either even if I did need something.

BTW - watch ebay for mucks.  I have bought them for 40-50% off post season on ebay.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

I too have been looking for the "sales" but I don't see anything that I absolutely have to have and the prices are not what I think are really good prices. I did pick up a new 16' ladder stand from Dick's the other day, marked down to $79.  it has the full platform that goes all the way back to the tree and a flip up seat. All the other ladder stands seem to have shorter platforms that don't allow you to stand close to the tree to break up your silhouette. If the tree walker climbing stands were to ever go on sale I would be all over that!

Do you ever buy stuff off at Sportsmens guide? I bought a pair of tactical boots off there a few years ago and I really like them as far as comfort. They weren't waterproof which stunk but that was my own choice. But I really like them to hike and hunt with. 

specifically has anybody used the guide gear rubber boots?   I want a pair of rubber boots bit mucks are kinda expensive.  If the guide gear give the same quality then id be fine with them.  Or any other runber boot that is good?   

8 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

Do you ever buy stuff off at Sportsmens guide? I bought a pair of tactical boots off there a few years ago and I really like them as far as comfort. They weren't waterproof which stunk but that was my own choice. But I really like them to hike and hunt with. 

specifically has anybody used the guide gear rubber boots?   I want a pair of rubber boots bit mucks are kinda expensive.  If the guide gear give the same quality then id be fine with them.  Or any other runber boot that is good?   

I bought a cheap pair of rubber boots from Sportsmans Guide a few years ago and if IRC they ripped open the first season I wore them, caught on thorns.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

I bought a cheap pair of rubber boots from Sportsmans Guide a few years ago and if IRC they ripped open the first season I wore them, caught on thorns.

Aside from getting ripped do you think that they were quality though? Do you think that if they were a pair of muck boots they wouldn't have ripped?  Just curious because I'm not really familiar with rubber boots much. I bought a really cheap pair from Walmart to go surf fishing this year but I want a decent pair to hunt with in wet weather. 

Edited by diplomat019

I really don't need anything but I find it difficult to pass up a bargain .

I seldom shot at Gander Mountain as I find DICK's and Field & Stream to be cheaper . If I can't find what I want at those stores , I may try Gander Mountain ..

I was considering buying a pair of Muck Boots as I have heard a lot of good things about them . However , they donate a lot to the SPCA of which I do not support so I passed on them . As for Guide Gear boots . I havn't purchased the boots questioned above but I have bought their hunting boots before . All I can say is they are fair and you get what you pay for . They don't last as long as boots like Rocky , etc .. 

I have Guide Gear boots, 2400 thinsulate, rubber & the rubber has cracked on them. But the good thing is anything by Guide Gear has a life time warranty & they replace it free forever. My son-in-law has the same boots & is on his 3rd free pair & I am on my 2nd free pair.  Also if they don't have what you bought they will upgrade it to the next better product.  But you do need your original receipt for proof..

i used to get stuff from gander a lot when i lived out in buffalo.  now it's usually from cabelas and with their club stuff.  i bought two pair of Muck boots that have served me very well years ago.

time to replace a pair but the whole ordeal of them posting on social media supporting HSUS and then the lie about saying they were donating to a local shelter. just doesn't sit well with me.  i'm all for helping animals but not through that psychotic group that would lock every hunter inside a church and then burn it down.  i've been looking at other brands.

I do get clearanced out things i need after the season.  just got scent lok cold blooded pants and parka for 50% off with other discounts on top.

I've never really seen any insane deals from cabelas or basspro. bought some decent clearance UA stuff once but that's about it. Midwayusa, dicks and sportsmans guide tend to have good after season sales. Sometimes i'll also use google shop if there's something in particular. Sticking with my muck boots theme I saw Wards had their top of the line supreme boots from $225 down to $130. Couldn't click the link fast enough. Size 13 and 7 only :(

I have always found that the best

sales, on hunting stuff, at places like Gander and Dick's are always the very end of January and February. I have gotten stuff like camo, stands …etc so cheap that I bought it just because it was so crazy cheap……….

• Like 1

I've been continually scanning for clearance deals on hunting stuff since Christmas. I did most of my damage the week after Christmas at various sites. Off the top of my head, I bought 3 new pairs of hunting pants, 2 pairs of gloves and 3 more treestands. Last week, I bought two 15' tripod stands from Wal-Mart. I also helped a hunting buddy find a great deal on a hunting parka at Gander Mountain two weeks ago. At this point, I am still looking, but honestly don't really need any more gear.

I do wonder if/when the food plot seeds will go clearance. That is something I am interested in.

5 hours ago, diplomat019 said:

Aside from getting ripped do you think that they were quality though? Do you think that if they were a pair of muck boots they wouldn't have ripped?  Just curious because I'm not really familiar with rubber boots much. I bought a really cheap pair from Walmart to go surf fishing this year but I want a decent pair to hunt with in wet weather. 

No I didn't think the quality was anything close to the field & stream boots I had previous to them. They were cheap uninsulated rubber boots not the same as Mucks, mucks have a foam core type top and rubber bottoms. As others have said you get what you pay for. 

• Like 1

I bought a 2 person ladder stand from sportsmans guide a few years back that has held up pretty well, as far as Gander MT I only buy there when I can't find it anywhere else local as there prices are high. I have either bought or looked into buying several guns at herb philipsons they average about $40 cheaper than Gander for the same gun it's just Gander has alot more inventory, but herbs can usually order what you want I even had herbs tell me that we will order it for you and when it gets here if you don't like it we will put it on the shelf, can't be that.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, ants said:

I have always found that the best

sales, on hunting stuff, at places like Gander and Dick's are always the very end of January and February. I have gotten stuff like camo, stands …etc so cheap that I bought it just because it was so crazy cheap……….

careful. that's wife talk there.

• Like 1

Quality boots are one of those things I don't mind paying for. I cross streams, wade through muck and sit for hours in cold ass weather. Rubber and neoprene is also much better than leather as far as scent control.

When the average quality boot runs you $150, and you get close to 10 years out of it, that's really not bad at all.

17 hours ago, Belo said:

I've never really seen any insane deals from cabelas or basspro. bought some decent clearance UA stuff once but that's about it. Midwayusa, dicks and sportsmans guide tend to have good after season sales. Sometimes i'll also use google shop if there's something in particular. Sticking with my muck boots theme I saw Wards had their top of the line supreme boots from $225 down to $130. Couldn't click the link fast enough. Size 13 and 7 only :(

Darn it Belo.  You just cost me $132.  They had 14s.  lol  And I said I didn't need anything, which I don't, but wanted to try the supreme vs. woody elite.