Pulled cards and wow.

chas0218

Thanks guys here are some better photos of the bucks/other ones.

01110168_zpsprkkqhld.jpg01110164_zpsiipgc83d.jpg01020082_zpsmf1rm7hn.jpgWGI_0183_zpsmqzyfizf.jpgWGI_0168_zpsuwnglflq.jpgWGI_0123_zpsvhrcb11j.jpgWGI_0116_zpswmheuzlw.jpgWGI_0093_zpsxu20ltyg.jpgWGI_0073_zpsnf9ej6xn.jpg

Almost all of the photos I have are after dark, I have 3 photos of bucks during the day. I'm guessing the deer went nocturnal after the hunting pressure ramped up. I have about 7 different deer on camera ranging from spikes up to the nice 8. Sure helps having some pictures to motivate you through the off season.

• Like 1

Nice. I pulled mine this weekend. We have some awesome potential for this fall. Ill only post pics after they are dead though. Ive been getting a ton of daylight pics on all of the farms, one in particular that started about mid muzzle loader season. My target buck, Waldo, made it through this year. He will be 5 this year and Im expecting big things from him.

12 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Nice. I pulled mine this weekend. We have some awesome potential for this fall. Ill only post pics after they are dead though. Ive been getting a ton of daylight pics on all of the farms, one in particular that started about mid muzzle loader season. My target buck, Waldo, made it through this year. He will be 5 this year and Im expecting big things from him.

That is awesome, the big 8 I figure is 3.5 this year. It's always a nice feeling seeing deer you passed on make it through. Whether I get another chance at him next year or not I am looking forward to the upcoming season.

11 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Nice! You're making me wish I kept a cam or two out this winter. I had a cam stolen a couple of years back from what I assume was a small game hunting trespasser, so I don't leave cams out in the winter anymore. I seldom go to camp after regular season closes.

I usually leave mine up through January then pull them sometime in February. I don't leave them up all winter but like to get a look at the deer that made it through the season. We have about 7 or 8 mature doe that also made it through the season so next year should have a pretty good crop of deer. I have had cameras stolen but in areas I second guess myself they get hung up high. I think it helps being that they aren't at eye level. I lost one to some scumbag that got pissed off at us and the landowner he was hunting on and stole one of my ladder stands, camera the whole nine yards.

Unfortunately this time of year is busy for me at work, and I have cams that were set in September and haven't been checked yet. I would like to say I'll get to them this weekend, but I doubt it.

I haven't sat down to count, but I probably have 15-20 out that I will need to collect. I don't have much interest in running cams in Feb/March/early April. I'll run a few for turkey April/May but won't put the fleet back out until late June/July.

With my luck at work, I'll be posting the same reply in March or early April when I finally get a weekend morning to shed hunt, lol.

Those are some good survivors - can't say that WGI takes great pics though. Woof.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, phade said:

I haven't sat down to count, but I probably have 15-20 out that I will need to collect. I don't have much interest in running cams in Feb/March/early April. I'll run a few for turkey April/May but won't put the fleet back out until late June/July.

Your record keeping must be pretty good if you can keep tabs on that many cameras!  Often I'm scratching my head while looking at a tree that I could have swore I left a camera on.  A minute or so later I'll get that "oh yea......" moment and it'll call come back to me.  (And I only have 4 cams out :()

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

If I help my SIL put hay in the barn tomorrow I hope to check out my cameras on her property . Hopefully something will be on them . 

I am also thinking of buying a Tri-pod stand to put near the thickets . Not sure if I really want to spend the money or not . 

Thought about making one out of 16' 4x4s? I saw you use a blind so you just plop your blind up top of it. The last tripod stand I saw was about $250 I think you could source the material and have $150 tops invested. I'm not sure if they have come down in price since then.

33 minutes ago, phade said:

Unfortunately this time of year is busy for me at work, and I have cams that were set in September and haven't been checked yet. I would like to say I'll get to them this weekend, but I doubt it.

With my luck at work, I'll be posting the same reply in March or early April when I finally get a weekend morning to shed hunt, lol.

Those are some good survivors - can't say that WGI takes great pics though. Woof.

Yeah those WGI cams are old too(not most people can say that about those cameras). I think they are on their 4th season, the primos cams I got cheap and didn't really expect much from them they aren't bad but nothing to write home about.

• Like 1

The problem I have checking 3 of the cameras is that the pond field and woods is almost always wet . This is the 1st year that we have hunted the woods in a long time as it was dry during hunting season .This season was productive for both sons that hunt . Right now it is wet again and walking that area of the property it will almost pull your boots off . But , I hate to drive that far and not check the cameras . I will take extra batteries in case they are needed . 

9 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Yeah those WGI cams are old too(not most people can say that about those cameras). I think they are on their 4th season, the primos cams I got cheap and didn't really expect much from them they aren't bad but nothing to write home about.

Two things I don't like about WGI cams ....1) no strap , just bungee cords . I bought some various size bungee cords to fit different diameter trees . 2) The WGI cams don't take multiple pics . The WGI cams do hold up quite well . 

I had 3 of the Primos Cams and one conked out . The other two work fair but suck the life out of the batteries . 

Nice bucks. Time to start planning for next year!  I run anywhere from 10-12 cameras on multiple properties and most of mine are older WGIs also. I will say that luckily mine have weathered well over the years, but the pic quality is definitely lacking (blurry!). I have recently started picking up different brands and I can say that I am going to try and steer away from the WGIs in the future. I like any cam that can take multiple shots when triggered and also a cam that resets quick. The cheaper WGIs do neither. I guess what it comes down to is they are affordable and at the very least give you a blurry idea of what is out there. Good luck chasing those survivors next fall.

10 minutes ago, jman22 said:

Nice bucks. Time to start planning for next year!  I run anywhere from 10-12 cameras on multiple properties and most of mine are older WGIs also. I will say that luckily mine have weathered well over the years, but the pic quality is definitely lacking (blurry!). I have recently started picking up different brands and I can say that I am going to try and steer away from the WGIs in the future. I like any cam that can take multiple shots when triggered and also a cam that resets quick. The cheaper WGIs do neither. I guess what it comes down to is they are affordable and at the very least give you a blurry idea of what is out there. Good luck chasing those survivors next fall.

Yeah I'm doing the same. I would like to try bushnells and moultrie. A buddy uses moultrie and has had good luck with them. I'm slowly phasing them out as they break. I figured I would try a primos, don't really like them but mine have taken 500+ pictures and still on their same set of batteries @ 89%. So they are lasting but still a little on the blurry side. I have also heard good things about scoutguard but no one I know uses them.

Edited by chas0218

22 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Yeah I'm doing the same. I would like to try bushnells and moultrie. A buddy uses moultrie and has had good luck with them. I'm slowly phasing them out as they break. I figured I would try a primos, don't really like them but mine have taken 500+ pictures and still on their same set of batteries @ 89%. So they are lasting but still a little on the blurry side. I have also heard good things about scoutguard but no one I know uses them.

The Brownings are my favorite right now. Second would be my Coverts, and then the Bolyguard I have. I got a Stealth for Christmas. It takes ok pics during the day, night pics suck, and I hate the dial switch on it, plus the shutter is loud. Id say its better than any WGI Ive ever owned, but Ill be emphasizing the Browning cameras with my girlfriend so she has a better idea of what to buy if she buys me another one. She asked some guy at the store which one he would recommend, obviously he chooses crappy cameras lol. Ill keep it around for putting in a food plot or something. I got my daughter a Bushnell for Christmas. I helped her set it up, and I have to say its pretty nice. We hung it near a coyote bait pile, but she hasnt checked it yet. This weekend we will see about the picture quality on it.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2017 at 8:54 AM, WNYBuckHunter said:

The Brownings are my favorite right now. Second would be my Coverts, and then the Bolyguard I have. I got a Stealth for Christmas. It takes ok pics during the day, night pics suck, and I hate the dial switch on it, plus the shutter is loud. Id say its better than any WGI Ive ever owned, but Ill be emphasizing the Browning cameras with my girlfriend so she has a better idea of what to buy if she buys me another one. She asked some guy at the store which one he would recommend, obviously he chooses crappy cameras lol. Ill keep it around for putting in a food plot or something. I got my daughter a Bushnell for Christmas. I helped her set it up, and I have to say its pretty nice. We hung it near a coyote bait pile, but she hasnt checked it yet. This weekend we will see about the picture quality on it.

Yeah keep me posted. My father in law just bought a browning and likes it although they said it wasn't waterproof? How long have you been using your browning? He said the browning goes through the batteries a little faster than his other camera (can't remember the name) but still better than the WGI cameras

Very few cam companies will formally say their cams are waterproof on paper. At the end of the day, almost anything can be water intruded. This keeps them from having to pay very high warranty claims against unreasonable acts of God - IE, if you hang your cam on a creek edge and the creek escapes its banks and the cam is submerged or the area the cam is in gets torrential, lasting rain. For most of the scenarios, cams are waterproof. I have most certainly had leaks causes by fault gasket designs (usually fixed in next production run) or the bonding agents around the arrays and sensors drying out over time and cracking allowing water entry. But, for the most part, cams generally can shed water. If there is water ingress on a new cam, I would return it for warranty. Water will kill the cams  - some immediate, but many much later down the road. The soldering used in most cams is not rust proof and once water gets in, damage grows internally.

Browning's battery life is slightly above average, but it is not going to be at the top of the overall food chain. This is acceptable, however, when you compare performance and a realistic timespan for a cam being set. Even with generic batteries on pic mode across Spring, Summer, Fall, I can go several months without needing to change them - and I am in high dpsm areas. The HDEs have been reported to offer very long life with lithium - although they're not the cheapest on a cost per pic basis. I believe Browning has reduced the resting rate draw on these cams in 2016 and battery performance should only get better.

The Defender uses CR123 batteries this year and I am interested in seeing how it turns out.

• Like 1

Brownings are the way to go IMO i have been running cheap alkalines in mine and get atleast 3 months out of them in the summer, slightly less in the winter but they are also taking close to a thousand pics or more every 2 weeks. Going to be putting in lithium's tonight. Wish i could find the strike force on Dicks Sporting Goods website to use my gift card on, I really dont want to sacrifice it on a different new to me camera. Maybe the e2 by bushnell. 

3 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Yeah keep me posted. My father in law just bought a browning and likes it although they said it wasn't waterproof? How long have you been using your browning? He said the browning goes through the batteries a little faster than his other camera (can't remember the name) but still better than the WGI cameras

Ive had my Browning for 2 seasons now. Never had an issue with water or anything else for that matter. It does go through batteries a bit faster than my Coverts, but it also uses less of them (6 vs 12). The one and only complaint I have is that it only takes 10 second night videos and they are decent quality. The day time video quality is outstanding on these cams. Ill post a few videos from it so you can see. I run one of the Dark Ops blackflash models.

• Like 2

Ive had my Browning for 2 seasons now. Never had an issue with water or anything else for that matter. It does go through batteries a bit faster than my Coverts, but it also uses less of them (6 vs 12). The one and only complaint I have is that it only takes 10 second night videos and they are decent quality. The day time video quality is outstanding on these cams. Ill post a few videos from it so you can see. I run one of the Dark Ops blackflash models.

Same here about the night videos. How do you like the dark ops model? Was thinking of that or the recon force.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk