Arrows

nodeerhere

Ok guys and gals. After taking an animal with an arrow do u retire the arrow or wash and use it again? Being that it is still shoot able of course. Just wondering what everybody else does. I think the one I killed my big buck with this yr is going to go back in quiver for good luck next year. Hopefully!!

11 hours ago, nodeerhere said:

Ok guys and gals. After taking an animal with an arrow do u retire the arrow or wash and use it again? Being that it is still shoot able of course. Just wondering what everybody else does. I think the one I killed my big buck with this yr is going to go back in quiver for good luck next year. Hopefully!!

Use again, I have one arrow that has shot 4 deer until this year when it got smoked going thru an animal and blasting a rock.

I usually change the broadhead and after a close inspection, use the same arrow again. Hey, it's a lucky arrow! And there is a reason why it was #1 in the quiver. Pre-season practice showed that for whatever reason, it flew just a touch, better than the others! So I tell myself, anyways.

I visually inspect and flex them and listen for cracking , if all is good I will then spin the arrow on my spinner to check the broadhead and if it spins true then new blades are installed. And back in the quiver it goes .

Edited by rob-c

re-use them if they pass inspection, why wouldn't you? Unless you have something like a total weird shot. A friend of mine has a split arrow, the second arrow hit the same spot on the practice target and end up in the "b-u-t-t" of the first one, splitting it and becoming a permanent extension, lol. Now, that one "long" arrow hangs on his trophy wall.

i pull the nock and "wash" it good inside and out then let it dry.  especially after a quartering shot that caught any organs other than heart or lungs.  i check for cracks and visually look it over.  all my arrows are numbered so i can shoot them again and keep track of each.  if it doesn't shoot same, it doesn't get knocked and shot at the next deer.  unlike a virgin bullet if an arrow is knocked on my string that means it's hit its mark over and over again.  the odds are not good for the deer.

eventually their spine breaks down from getting hammered through deer and stuck into the ground or whatever after pass thru.  sometimes it's in one piece laying on the ground but contact with brush or whatever while in the deer tweeked it.  i even had blood pool up in one shaft where the nock pulled out a tad.  shot slightly less consistent.  rinsed it out and shot perfect again.  things happen even if it looks good.

i did actually retire the arrow i shot my first deer and coincidentally first predator with.  it had more to do with it surviving, the fox biting a whole in a fletch, it sitting there, and me switching to carbon.  now that i have it though, it rides in my bow case for good luck.  Muzzy 4-blade 100gr on an Easton Fall Stalker 2119.

Edited by dbHunterNY