Single Shots

This time of the year I am usually in the gun room doing little things to my firearms that in my mind improves them for my tastes. I have always been a big fan of single shot rifles, they hold the same charm for me as double shotguns do. While some may shy away from the single shot rifles because of just having that one shot I have used them for hunting almost since the beginning and have found that having one shot was not very much of a factor the vast majority of the time hunting.

Anyhow a few days ago I pulled the single shots I currently have from the safe and started my annual tinkering. First up my Winchester Low Wall 22 LR falling block, worked on the trigger a bit and mounted a higher magnification scope. This rifle is one of my favorites, nothing more fun than taking the Low Wall out to my back yard range on a warm afternoon with a brick of ammo and trying to drill flies on the targets at 25 and 50 yards.

Next up was my little Savage 30 G, a Steven's Favorite copy 22 LR falling block, new set of open sights were on order and the flat finish on the stock was spruced up with a few coats of Tru Oil.

Next on the list the Savage 24 combo gun, she needed a set of sling swivel studs installed and I also gave it a couple of coats of Tru Oil.

My Ruger Number One in 222 Remington Mag, this little rifle was the first of several Number Ones I have owned, the others went down the road but this one has a permanent place with me, killed a lot of Woodchucks with this one. Changed out her old Leupold straight 8X for a scope with a little with more power.

And last but not least the new kid on the block a TC Encore, I have a couple of barrels for this rifle, 223 and 22-250. A trigger job was in order for this one and she got the Bellm trigger setup.

Spring is around the corner, can't wait for some good weather to shoot and evaluate.

Al 

003.JPG

Edited by airedale
  • Like 9

I've had two Ruger No. 1's in the past.  One in .30-06 and one in .300 Wby.  Both were beautiful rifles, but I found them to be on the heavy side for hunting, so I sold them.  (BTW, I found them to be quite quick to reload after taking a shot)

I love single shots though.  I have a couple of single shot shotguns as well as my T/C Hawken ML now.  But no matter what I carry when hunting, I consider a one shot kill to be the goal.

• Like 1

Man after my heart... I love single shots. I currently only have three though (a Win 1885 low wall in .243, Ruger 1S in .300 H&H mag, and a Dakota 10 in .257 Roberts). I previously had more Ruger #1's, a Browning B78 and a H&R. Henry is coming out with one in May, I shot (and nearly bought) a EABCO 97D and I have been drooling (lately) over a Merkel K3 Stutzen. Ya never know what may follow me home. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I've wanted a Martini -Enfield since watching the movie  " Zulu ".....

I have a South African issue Martini-Henry with appropriate markings, but a post Zulu wars issued gun.

Also been to Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana (and Blood River, but thats Boer/Zulu battle)

Lots of Nepal issued Martinis around in good shape.

• Like 1

i have a tc encore had bellm do trigger[3lbs.] and springs.shot the rifling out of a 3006 Warped the hing pin trying to get the breech plug out of the ML had it reamed out put a 3x hinge pin in now it's stays a ML. Never hunted with the 06 but shot a lot of paper with it.

i always wanted a number one maybe someday.

My favorite, but all too seldom used rifle is my Browning falling block in 45-70. It just feels so....right.  It has taken four bears in Canada, but for one reason or another (probably weight and being as long as a telephone pole) doesn't get taken into the deer woods. I have a tiny Stevens Crackshot  32 rimfire, which is a hoot, but I have to individually hand load each black powder round, and the little reloadable cases are a mint. To rectify that I am keeping an eye open for another crackshot in .22 rimfire.

• Like 3

I have been wanting to buy a single shot rifle for a few years now. Idk why but i really really like them, and everyone laughs at me for it lol and idc. It only takes one shot anyways. It would probably be in H&R.  25-06 and .204 calibers they make and have caught my attention for awhile now. I think its the bull barrel and wood stock combo that i like so much. lol who knows maybe more because of their price tag compared to others. My wife's grandfather owns quite a few Ultra rifles and Handi rifles and i like them better than either Savage Axis or Ruger American i own. But at some point this year, ill own my first one.. 

I have a keen interest in the new Henry single shots coming out this year, I like the top lever opening style of these rifles along with those walnut stocks. A 45-70 single shot has been on my mind for many years and these new Henrys may fit the bill with both price and design. I have 500 or 600 various weight 458 cal bullets laying around along with a little Leupold 2.5 compact scope that will work out perfect mounted on that brass model but that curved metal buttplate looks painful if the trigger is pulled a few too many times, will just have to suck it up LOL.

Al

2017-02-03_085405.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

What's the configuration that Savage combo gun and how do you like it? I've been considering picking one up. 

It's just the Savage axis in 7mm08 topped with nikon 4-12×40. Not a bad gun. Been reliable and accurate. But the triggers between the single shot h&r and savage are very different. I'm not a gun Smith but I like the h&r better.
As well as the solid feel of a wood stock gun I like much more than synthetic

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The only .22 that my dad ever owned was a Stevens M15 single shot...I used it to kill my first squirrel, rabbit, coon, fox, crow , woodchuck and grouse.. My Mom bought it for him for his birthday back in the 1950s..I think the retail price was less than $20 at that time at the local Western Auto store...  I still have it.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, left field said:

What's the configuration that Savage combo gun and how do you like it? I've been considering picking one up. 

Mine is a 22 LR over a 410, when I carry this gun afield I have shells in my pocket to handle most small game situations, high powered 22 shells like velocitors, 3 inch 410 shotshell along with a few Brenneke slugs and so far so good.  I would love to get an old side button model with 22 mag on top and 20 ga on the bottom for the times I am going to seriously call varmints.

Al

Edited by airedale

27 minutes ago, airedale said:

Mine is a 22 LR over a 410, when I carry this gun afield I have shells in my pocket to handle most small game situations, high powered 22 shells like velocitors, 3 inch 410 shotshell along with a few Brenneke slugs and so far so good.  I would love to get an old side button model with 22 mag on top and 20 ga on the bottom for the times I am going to seriously call varmints.

Al

A friend of mine has one of those and im so jealous of it!

I have a keen interest in the new Henry single shots coming out this year, I like the top lever opening style of these rifles along with those walnut stocks. A 45-70 single shot has been on my mind for many years and these new Henrys may fit the bill with both price and design. I have 500 or 600 various weight 458 cal bullets laying around along with a little Leupold 2.5 compact scope that will work out perfect mounted on that brass model but that curved metal buttplate looks painful if the trigger is pulled a few too many times, will just have to suck it up LOL.
Al
2017-02-03_085405.png

I do love the looks of those Henry's, a little heave and too long of barrels but if they would come out with one in 357maxi or 358win I will own one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

The only .22 that my dad ever owned was a Stevens M15 single shot...I used it to kill my first squirrel, rabbit, coon, fox, crow , woodchuck and grouse.. My Mom bought it for him for his birthday back in the 1950s..I think the retail price was less than $20 at that time at the local Western Auto store...  I still have it.

Ill give you $40 for it. Double its retail value I must be crazy!

• Like 1

Today's project my 22 LR Winchester 52B target rifle, technically not a single shot I use what is called a single shot adapter but it will function fine with a regular five shot magazine, she is called the fly swatter. This rifle will put good ammo in the same hole at 25 yards and do almost as well at 50 yards. Because my vision ain't what it once was I took off the Redfield Olympic target sights and mounted an older Redfield 3200 20X target scope and now I can pick off flies on my 25 yard target consistently and do pretty well at 50 yards. The trigger needs to be worked on and set with a little more weight of pull as it is a virtual hair trigger and the gun can be slam fired so that is today's project.

Al

2009-03-14_072158.jpg

52b.jpg

002.JPG

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

i've thought about getting a barrel for my prohunter in 22LR but they're not as easy to find now.  that's the only single shot i've got.  it's like the double barrel shotgun thread.... one can have only so many things to put money into to acquire nice stuff.

32 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

one can have only so many things to put money into to acquire nice stuff.

I hear you dbhunter, when I was a young guy raising a family the new guns were not very easy for me to come by. In fact for many years I had to work two jobs to support my gun loving habit and it has taken me well over fifty years to acquire what I have.

Al

• Like 3