Lights! How do you walk into the woods in pitch darkness?

TheHunter

The area that I hunt is the same land that I hunted since I was a kid. I could almost walk some of it with no light at all. So I really don't need much of a light. Just a small flashlight to keep from stumbling over sticks and logs.

However, during gun season, I carry a bit larger a light mostly so I can be seen. There are way too many shots heard in the near darkness long before legal shooting time. So, I want to be seen!

Also, I want a light that is big enough to shine at any hunters that may not see me and start setting up in an area that I consider too close to me for safety.

Doc

I have the thin Streamlight that uses AAAA batteries and looks like a pen.  It has a green light on it so it doesn't kill your night vision when its turned off and I think it isn't visible to animals.  It does a good job of lighting the path and throws a lot of light for it's size.  Batteries for the thing are hard to find, and a little costly, but they last for a whole year, even if used a lot.

It has a green light on it so it doesn't kill your night vision when its turned off and I think it isn't visible to animals. 

Green is one of the colors that deer do see. That doesn't make it a deal-breaker because it is unlikely that they know what the heck they are looking at anyway.

Doc

If I am planning on walking in the dark, I make sure I have walked the path several times previously and cleared potential eye pokers, etc. out of the way. Then I use a headlamp-it keeps the hands clear and will provide enough light to find the way.

I don't like lights since they do spook deer. Generally I wait until it is just light enough for my eyes to adapt to still pre-dawn darkness and walk in. In heavy hunted open to public areas I will use a small light for my own safety sake.

Just a Bud Light. :D  :D

Little LED for the most part. Got a 3 bulb headlamp to try this season. Been using it on my over nighters this summer and prefer it over my handheld. They're hard to loose when they're stuck to your fore head.

I have over 2miles of mowed trails so usually I don't use a light...I carry one just in case.....I've been charged by deer going to stand a few times...circled by coyotes...DEC said I was breakfast...long story...but with the cross bow situation will probably have the light on now...besides bears are increasing...and I can't run as fast As I use to ;)