So how about these gas prices?

Geno C

I'm not sure you meant that Burt, bu I wasn't looking for car advice lol. I already know my car and what it's capable of. I was just looking for others input on fuel prices. I know you went be sarcastic, probably. But I wasn't looking for car advice here on the forum. I belong to supraforums for years and that's where the car info comes from. But I am glad to see you are enjoying your flex fuel. As long as you are who cares what anyone else says...

Geno,

I have seen some of you posts on other threads and it seems that you really know your stuff when it comes to cars.

Loved the videos also.

yeah i figured you didnt mean anything by it... and thanks Burt!  :)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I started carrying vaseline in the truck with me, it doesn't hurt nearly as bad.  ;D  (twisted...)

It's starting to pinch me now...I try to consolidate trips more...trying to knock out grocies with maybe a stop at gander on the way back from work rather than making a weekend trip to each place.

LOL Vaseline? that would prob work... might need KY when they go up even higher lol!

The fuel sensor picks up the texture of the fuel, it knows the difference between reg gas and E85. Three different Chevy dealers all the same answer.

I move on now.

Good day.

Yea Burt but thats not magic! haha Yes there is a sensor that can tell the difference in fuels, Burt is right.

I feel for the people that are affected by the price jump drastically, we just may cut back on some other stuff but a jump from what we pay now really isn't that bad other than the shock value of paying over $4 for a gallon of gas. And No I am not ok with paying more for gas..I just have no choice because I need to work. Every dollar increase works out to about $1500 a year more for my wife and I, or the price of a new gun or bow as some one else said.

I have a flex fuel Taho. This is the first year where it make sense to use the flex fuel. I'm getting it at .80 cents cheaper than regular. Still it's,over 3 bucks a gallon!

But your fuel mileage goes down the tubes, and you cant tow anything using the E85. It doesnt actually work out.

And your car doesnt know you put E85 in the tank, it calculates your range by looking at how much fuel you are consuming per mile and how much fuel you have in the tank.

Yes I get less milage but Not down the tubes. I don't tow anything? Where did that come from?

FACT:

I have filled the tank with E85 and regular gas. Without moving the truck the computer knows what gas mileage you will get by the fuel in the tank.

The only "FACT" is the fuel tank sending unit registers the level in the tank (whether it be reg, E85, water or anything else that increases it) the onboard computer then calculates the "estimated" amount, distant that can be traveled, etc. based on the last MPG rating the computer registered before the fill up...................it then recalibrates as you drive.

There is absolutely nothing that tells the vehicle what is being put for fuel........................automatically. Even if it did, the computer would still recalibrate as you drive. Hell, I could pour a bucket of marbles in the tank and change the reading on the gauge and fool the computer, it works on volume.

FDXX75

The fuel sensor picks up the texture of the fuel, it knows the difference between reg gas and E85. Three different Chevy dealers all the same answer.

I move on now.

Good day.

Ok, I will stand corrected on the sensor issue. But, it measures the % of ethanol in the fuel and recalibrates the engine as needed.............But, as I said earlier, the vehicle has to be running or driven for the computer to take mulitple reading and confirm the results.

I took this off a GM forum:

GM has developed a Virtual Flex Fuel Sensor (V-FFS) software program that calculates the ethanol content in the fuel, instead of using a sensor to measure it. When the fuel level in the tank increases as the vehicle is refueled, the computer recalculates the percentage of ethanol in the fuel and automatically changes the air/fuel ratio. To do this, the computer temporarily stops the operation of other emission systems and monitors the oxygen sensors to determine ethanol content. The test is done several times until calculations remain stable. This can take several minutes when the engine is idling, but much less time at higher fuel flow rates.

So, just filling the tank doesn't tell the computer anything other than the level has been changed.

And the sensor has a high failure rate with a even higher replacement cost price tag attached (@ $600 from GM)

Bottom line..............................If you think you are happy with it, it don't matter. Flex fuel is just another smoke n mirror leg of the "CHANGE"  we were all promised. Fact is it costs more to process the same amount of ethanol fuel compared to petroleum based fuel, just cheaper to grow corn then extract the crued. Typical, pay more to get less..................................

FDXX75

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can help the situation? Anybody know why prices are so high?

The only things we can do is cut back driving and opt for better mpg cars, easier said than done in both cases. Prices are set on the stock market so we are not in power to affect change there, unrest in the mid-east effects production of crude which then in turn effects gas production here in the US.

I was reading about these companies that are claiming to be able to get oil from growing algae and plants, both are not really effective methods at the moment but at least there is some one working on it and maybe some day it will work..who knows. Now if by some miracle they could grow oil, that would change the game dramatically. Or maybe we will all be driving around in electric cars some day.. but then the price of electricity would go through the roof..haha

I don't think electric cars are much of an option since you have to get the electricity somewhere.  What we need is for someone to invent a car engine on solar or water power where oil is completely put out of the picture.  Then we would be talking.  Of course as long as oil companies are milking in the big bucks this well NEVER happen.  Even if there was someone who invented something good I am sure he would be paid big dollars by oil companies to keep his invention secret.  Either that or his body would end up deep in the Gulf of Mexico somewhere where he couldn't tell anyone his great new invention that might put the oil companies out of business!  All this oil is is one MAJOR conspiracy in my opinion that pretty much rules the world.

I agree with Doe, Kind of out of our control where prices are headed. Take a look at your life-style and how you get to and from work and figure out a plan "B" and "C" and "D" My next truck will be a Hybrid and I will keep the distance I have to drive to work at a minimal. If gas prices do get really high this summer It will be 3-4 day long breaks at the camp instead of more frequent 2 day weekends. It's 325 miles to camp, this is where I do my most driving.

Funny i posted this, i just received an email today from a buddy... Dont know why all the other crap is in the body of this email like size and color.

Something to think  about!                  THIS MAKES  SENCE? ....GIVE A  TRY!!!!!....... 

THIS  IS NOT THE  'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT  WILL SHOW YOU HOW  WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN  TO    $1.30 PER  GALLON.

This    was sent by a retired Coca Cola executive.  It came from one of  his engineer  buddies who retired from Halliburton.  If you are  tired of the gas prices going  up AND they will continue to rise this  summer, take time to read this  please. 

Phillip  Hollsworth  offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than  the "don't buy gas  on a certain day"  campaign that was going  around last April or May!

It's  worth your  consideration.  Join the resistance!!!!

I  hear we are going  to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer and  it might go higher!!  Want  gasoline prices to come  down?

We  need to take  some intelligent, united  action. 

The  oil companies just laughed at that  because they knew we wouldn't  continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy    gas .It  was more of an  inconvenience to us than it was a problem for  them.

BUT, whoever  thought  of this idea, has come up with a plan that can Really work.  Please read on and  join with  us!

By  now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about  $2.00 is super  cheap.  Me too!  It is currently $3.08 at Arco and Costco  for  regular unleaded in SalemOregon and climbing every    week.

Now    that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to  think that  the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we  need to take  aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the  marketplace..not  sellers.

With    the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to  take  action.

The    only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit  someone  in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas!  And, we  can do that WITHOUT  hurting  ourselves.

How?    Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying  gas. 

But    we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a  price  war.

Here's    the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from  the two  biggest companies (which now are  one), EXXON and MOBIL.If    they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their  prices.    If they reduce their prices, the other companies will  have to follow suit. 

But    to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and  Mobil gas  buyers.  It's really simple to do!  Now, don't  wimp out on me at this  point...keep reading and I'll explain how  simple it is to reach millions of    people!!

I  am  sending this note to 30 people.  If each of us send it to at  least ten more (30  x 10 = 300) ...  and those 300 send it to at  least ten more (300 x  10 =    3,000)... and  so on, by the  time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we  will have reached over  THREE MILLION  consumers .

If  those three  million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each,  then 30 million  people will have been  contacted!

If  it goes one  level further, you guessed it.....  THREE HUNDRED  MILLION PEOPLE!!! 

Again,    all you have to do is send this to 10 people.  That's  all! 

(If    you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to  do is  send this to 10 people....  Well, let's face it, you just  aren't a  mathematician.  But I am .  so trust me on this  one. 

How    long would all that take?  If each of us sends this e-mail out to  ten more  people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people  could conceivably be  contacted within the next 8  days!

I'll  bet you  didn't think you and I had that much potential, did  you!  Acting together we    can make a difference.

If    this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.  I suggest  that we not  buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE  $2.00 RANGE AND KEEP  THEM DOWN.  THIS CAN REALLY  WORK. 

It just seems like  we are being conditioned to the rise of prices and then when they do go back down it will be 50 cents higher then when they were stable prior to the jump. i do believe we have the technology, know how and possibly proto types on engines or cars that use 0 oil or fuel but this is they way this country wants it to be. they have total control I THINK and i believe this how they intend things to be. If they really wanted to fix this and make positive steps moving forward, why rely on the middle east for oil still? Why send BORROWED money to other countries to fix and rebuild when this country is in the state IT IS?? Charity starts at home and i am a firm believer on that.

I see Burt understands the costs of camp & fuel. And I agree we will have to find ways to travel smarter, less convenience runs etc. Wasn't long ago I looked at one of those Gem cars for getting to work & back home. Less then 10 miles - makes at least some sence, except they are seasonal & I think 25mph max and more then 1/2 the way the roads are 45+. The route is very unfriendly to bicycles.

On a side note I refuse to work just to pay bills & sit home. I'd bet each one of us has some menu to get outdoors or get to an archery club, range etc. and find peace of mind. This is different from family time. So lets say without making any more money then you currently do, what to change to be able to afford the fuel. We need a camping section here I got a bunch of ideas.

You are right Geno, I know that a car like that could be built, but as you say this is how this country and most others around the world want it to be.  It's a complete conspiracy where those who are already rich are getting even MORE rich on the backs of all of us.  We are given NO choice but to pay up or we have to walk or ride a bike instead.  Talk about the biggest scam the world has ever seen, OIL and everyones complete dependence on it is certainly it!

From top to bottom, lately scam is written all over it. Who do you trust? We only import 2% oil  from Libya and it has such a great effect. You want me to pay more taxes, then let me know how my kid is getting a better education with all the proposed cuts? Let me know what is being put forth to get us off of oil, or at least a plan. Obama said it a few years ago, the country that leads in alternative energy in the 20th century will lead the world." Well Mr. President you haven't done much, have you..........

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Meaning gas prices in the USA catch up to a lot of the other countries, I have a friend that lives in Brasil and gas was $4.00 a gal. back in 1982 when he came to visit me. Some countries pay nearly $8.00 a gal for unleaded. Maybe we should consider ourselves lucky.................................I hate the costs as much as the next guy, so just what is it "WE" all have to do to make it stop?????????

Now that seems to be the question, but there doesn't seem to be an answer......................................

FDXX75

If - everyone stopped buying gas for a week I bet the Tankers would get lined up and you'd see a price drop. But gas boycots will never happen here.

The tech to use Natural Gas as motor fuel is available, but conveniently burried or expensive to get going with. Unless you drive a Centro bus. I think part of the issue there is NY State getting their cut as a distributed motor fuel. Otherwise you could probably hook up a compressor off your Oven T. Sounds a little dangerous but the average clown can pump gas.

What we need to do isn't as hard to figure out as how we are going to get the vast majority to do it... reducing gas consumption is the obvious thing, but america has become dependant on the automobile for just about everything... now days there are at least 2 autos per family.. when I was a young lad we had just one vehicle for a family of 8 and buses were available in every neighborhood.

If - everyone stopped buying gas for a week I bet the Tankers would get lined up and you'd see a price drop. But gas boycots will never happen here.

The tech to use Natural Gas as motor fuel is available, but conveniently burried or expensive to get going with. Unless you drive a Centro bus. I think part of the issue there is NY State getting their cut as a distributed motor fuel. Otherwise you could probably hook up a compressor off your Oven T. Sounds a little dangerous but the average clown can pump gas.

NYS itself has hundreds of vehicles their employees use that are CNG, the problem they run into is refueling locations and limited range due to the small tank capacities. The initial cost to get set up is huge.

I know of a school district near Albany that converted 20 diesel engines over to CNG, after 10 yrs of driving them, they just broke even on their investment and needed start replacing tanks, valves, engines, etc. They felt it was not cost effective continue the program and switched back to diesel due to less maintainence.

FDXX75

FDXX75

Remember how this country came into existence (revolution) The rich get richer and the poor remain poor. What middle class? I see the stock market is still doing fairly good. The price of gas has little relevance when you have deep pockets. This country needs a fresh start as it did in 1776.

the cng technology is not burried i work on them at least once a month but it is not public friendly. ie cng refuling stations the way they are set up you could not go into your oven t to fill with out modification which would void your warranty therefore cng is most sutable for fleet vehicles at this time where the company can invest in a refuling station.

3.99!!?? Is that for regular? holy crap... It's sickening. The rich do seem to get richer, tax hikes and price hikes in general never seem to bother them. Sad part is for these politicians Who all exempt from paying these gas prices and taxes in general let alone increases are the ones calling shots and if one is exempt from these payouts they can really careless how high prices go or how bad it gets. Fact of the matter is it really doesn't imply to the 500 or so people country wide responsible for calling shots. So really, what do they care I'd they are exempt fr the very thing all of us have to pay out a deal with everyday??? My feeling on the matter is they should ALL have to pay what we have to pay, equal across the board. No exemptions for anyone, but the president. It's sad to see what some people get paid, no caps, the sky's the limit... A superintendent in syossit gets paid 360,000K for what?! the governor doesn't even make that lol. They are trying to cap her and other supers at 179k. Very sad system implemented.

Ok, Burt, I apologize, I did end up finding info on the GM sensor. I was wrong.

Second, gas boycotts would not work. Think about it, people would stock up just before and right after the boycott period. You cannot effectively boycott something like gas. Besides, China would buy what we dont use.

Third, there is no supply and demand when it comes to the oil or gasoline equation, it is bought and sold as a commodity based on speculation. That is why gas can be delivered to a gas station when oil is at a certain price, yet they can raise the price of gas right along with the oil even though you are buying gas that was sold to the station at the lower price. Its all a shell game and should be illegal. The last time there was talk of closing the loopholes that allow this to happen in the futures laws, oil prices dropped and everyone forgot about it.

From what I have seen, short of fusion, the only alternative we have to oil is nuke based power plants and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. We just dont have the infrastructure to do it yet. The fuel cell tech is there, nuke power tech is as well, but we need to get to work in making them viable. Ethanol is a joke, it takes more power to produce than it creates and there are some other issues with it as well, such as water supply to grow it and the types of emissions it does create being just as bad as carbon emissions from fossil fuels. For now, we need to drill more in this country, and more importantly, build new refineries. Right now we export most of the oil we pump out of the ground, then import the refined products because we dont have the capacity here. There hasnt been a new refinery put online in this country since 1976, you can thank the EPA for that.