So how about these gas prices?

Geno C

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see retail outlets taking a hit because we can shop for tons of things online not having to drive.

Yeah, but even the internet outlets have to deal with item transport in one fashion or another. I really can't think of any segment of the economy that benefits from excessive gas-gouging other than the gas producers themselves. Frankly, I see it all as a matter of national security. Anytime our economy is under direct attack, our international status, leadership, as well as our future sovereignty is under attack. But, from the president on down, nobody else seems to see it that way.

I can see retail outlets taking a hit because we can shop for tons of things online not having to drive.

Yeah, but even the internet outlets have to deal with item transport in one fashion or another. I really can't think of any segment of the economy that benefits from excessive gas-gouging other than the gas producers themselves. Frankly, I see it all as a matter of national security. Anytime our economy is under direct attack, our international status, leadership, as well as our future sovereignty is under attack. But, from the president on down, nobody else seems to see it that way.

Exactly Doc.One must put personal thoughts on hold for a minute and see the big picture on this . It is crushing the very fiber of everyday living from all aspects.

its crazy how prices of good in the store shoot up along with the rising gas prices due to transport. We are ALL screwed...

I think its more due to the packaging of products being largely oil based plastic but it could also be the idea that it is an easy excuse to raise prices. On my one food delivery here I saw a $1 per stop increase the last time which is nothing to me, and I'm sure other places have the same deal, but they have no problem increasing the price on all of the products 10-13% in the store. Bottom line is we are indeed getting hosed.

not to put even more of a damper on things... but I heard today that we could be looking at $6 a gallon by the summer

That's how it always starts. First get the public used to the idea by floating a rumor. When it looks like it is being accepted, start cranking the prices toward the next milestone. The $4.00 /Gal rumor went over well and sure enough ..... here we are .....$4/gal. Works every time.

not to put even more of a damper on things... but I heard today that we could be looking at $6 a gallon by the summer

That's how it always starts. First get the public used to the idea by floating a rumor. When it looks like it is being accepted, start cranking the prices toward the next milestone. The $4.00 /Gal rumor went over well and sure enough ..... here we are .....$4/gal. Works every time.

I don't even think they care if the public excepts it any more.. they just do what they want when they want... in DC gas is already $5.. and chicago is well over $4... I think I mentioned last fall that the gas price is the one thing that no politician was looking at when they were trying to figure out what to do with the economy... instead they continued to devalue the dollar which drove up the price of oil and now we will all sit back and watch while the economy takes another nose dive... we'll have to sit and watch because we won't be able to afford to drive anywhere.. :D

i heard alittle over 5, 6 is rediculous! someone needs to put a cap on some S**T...

Ethanol is only viable when made from corn if gas is above 4$ a gallon, so instead of cheap gas we pay 4$. This country is not like europe or any other single county it's huge you can fit all of europe in the notheast! Its a country built on roads...  this gas price will destroy our country as it doesn't have the infrastructure to switch back to rail service.  At least i see that japan has started building cars that run on water ony 20,000 to be shipped to america... Water we have!! They say it will even run on soda pop! I hope i can hold out long enough to be able to buy one before the gas prices ruin my savings account!

There are no cars that run on water. You are thinking of fuel cell vehicles. They use hydrogen and their only emission is water. Supposedly they have some systems that can pull the hydrogen out of water, but so far they can only do this on a small scale. Those type of systems would only create more problems though. In many parts of the country, there are fresh water shortages, like out west and in the south. Its like the electric cars, you may save gas, but you have to pay for the electricity to charge them up, and the price of electric will go up as more people use electric cars.

Do the research into the commodities market and you will see where the real culprits are. There is a glut of oil right now that cant sell, refineries are running below 80%, and demand is dropping by the day, but the prices still go up. It defies any sort of logic or reasonable set of laws for that matter. We are supposed to be getting paid by Iraq in oil for what we spent ousting the old regime, it was part of the original deal. We havent seen a drop of it yet. Its all a scam to part our money from our pockets, thats all. We need politicians in Washington that arent completely disconnected from what the average guy goes through. None of those rich a-holes worry about the price of gas, its pocket change for them. We are headed for another recession, have no doubt about it, and this one is going to be worse than the last one.

I emailed my congresswoman, Nan Hayworth.

https://hayworth.house.gov/contact-me/email-me

The way it's set up, you enter your information and they email you back, so I can't show exactly what I wrote. I asked 1) Why is gas so expensive 2) who is responsible 3) is there bribery and who is guilty 4) What can we do to solve the problem.

This is the response I received:

May 3, 2011        Mr. FUDD  Dear ELMER: (< LOL!)    Thank you for your correspondence regarding the rising price of oil. It is an honor to serve the Nineteenth Congressional District of New York. Your thoughts and concerns are important to me.      In the wake of recent turmoil in the Middle East, the price of crude oil has risen to more than $100 per barrel. According to AAA, as of May 3, 2011, the national average price for a gallon of regular gasoline is over $3.96, and this number continues to rise. Increasing gas prices threaten to restrain economic growth, because they translate into higher prices for goods and services such as food prices, transportation prices, commodity prices, and heating prices. As Congress considers various solutions to this problem, including diversifying our energy sources, we must work to reduce our dependence of foreign oil. Additionally, we must not impose additional unnecessary mandates to restrict oil and gas exploration in the United States. I believe the Obama Administration should do what it can to promote the development of domestic sources of oil. Such actions will empower the American economy, strengthen energy independence, and create jobs.    Thank you again for contacting me. I appreciate hearing your views. Please visit our website at www.hayworth.house.gov for more information, and feel free to contact our office should you have concerns in the future.    Sincerely,    Nan Hayworth, M.D.  Member of Congress    NH/EOB      ::)