Tesla’s Cars Will Soon Be Just As Affordable as Gas-Powered Vehicles

EspressoBuzz

31 minutes ago, Doc said:

When green transportation can compete in cost, reliability, maintainability, and performance, it would be dumb not to support the industry.

It would be much easier to support the clean energy sector(for me at least) if it wasn't such a corrupt money grab .

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, EspressoBuzz said:

I don't love them per se, my dream vehicle if I had one is a full loaded for the plains of Africa Range Rover. I see electric cars as a solution to many problems city's and NYC in particular have with air pollution, congestion and noise.

Thats a good point . Someone like me who never step foot inside NYC would be unaware of the issues facing automobiles in a large city. 

• Like 2

This is going to be a very strange confrontation in the near future.

The only way that electric vehicles will be widely accepted by the American people is if the price of electricity is reduced. And the only way the price of electricity is going down is if the coal plants, natural gas (from fracking) plants, or the dreaded 'Nuke' plants are allowed to prosper and produce the electricity needed for the cars that are meant to save the planet by not relying on the fossil fuels that will be necessary to make those cars viable and attractive to the American market that is trying to get away from the fossil fuels that are necessary to run cars in the first place. ;-]

Get it?

• Like 4

The common misconception is that there is no difference creating the pollution at the vehicle or at the power plant. I can tell you there are loads of differences. The first being the corrosive effect air pollution has on buildings and cityscape structures. Secondly if technology comes along that can cost effectively clean emissions would it be easier to apply it to 253 million vehicles or 7658 power plants? Battery capacity technology and renewable energy will eventually take a huge share of the pie with natural gas taking the next largest share of the pie. Next generation Nuke plants are safer but still generate fear so locating them in reasonable areas will be important. So yeah "I Get It"

(Quick somebody post a picture of a strip mine and tell everyone it's a lithium mine!)

Until they can get a handle on storage capacity (batterys) the cars will be relagated to the urban enviroment. Out here in the sticks and even in the suburban areas, 75 plus miles a day is a routine commute. Or our favorite hobby of hunting.... doubt they will be putting charging stations in the ADK of catskill mountains.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I wouldn't buy one now or next year or even the year after. But the future is bright for electric vehicles. Really the only thing lacking right now is the range on them. If they made a electric pickup truck that had a 400-600 mile range, I'd be looking into one.

I'm going to sit back and watch them progress, I am thinking another 5 years and you'll see some hard to beat models being made at the rate they are advancing right now. I think I read someplace Ford was looking to make a all electric F150. That's something I'll be keeping my eye out for.

In 20 years I think the car industry will look much different than it does today

If you ever spent time in NYC that background noise is loud. A lot of that is from trucks and cars. Could you ever imagine what it would be like with all battery powered cars and trucks. Pretty quiet for sure….then again there is always the jackhammer!

• Like 1

I have nothing against the idea of electrically-powered passenger vehicles, and I'm sure they are somewhere on the horizon as a viable alternative. And I'm actually a fan of Elon Musk's  SpaceX  program. I just don't think it's the federal government's place to be funding these projects with taxpayer dollars.

I owned an electric car a few years ago but got rid of it because its range was terrible (super, super bad in the winter). I drive a hybrid currently.

Elon Musk is nothing short of one of the best tech minds of this generation. I believe that fully. What he's done with Tesla is nothing short of spectacular. He not only got a new car company profitable, which is insanely difficult, but he did it by leap-frogging the lethargy in the existing industry, by using a tech that they were barely bothering with (electric).

Oh, and just because that wasn't enough his company is also the leader in automated driving. He is the perfect example of a fresh view and true motivation showing that the old way of doing things doesn't have to be the only way.

And, before I forget, he also currently has the fastest 0-60 production car on the planet.

So to recap, this guy comes along and in about fifteen years he goes from nothing to creating a profitable car company that:
1) Runs on batteries
2) Has the best automated cars on the planet
3) Has the fastest car

I used to doubt him too, but no more. Did I mention Tesla is just one of his interests? He also founded space x, which is now bringing stuff to the international space station and then landing rockets back down on pads. And he's only 44 or so.

As for Tesla, I absolutely can see one in my future. The model 3 will be an affordable car with a great range, plenty of power, and all Teslas will have their full suite of automated driving. For those who don't yet believe in the future of automated driving you can go on youtube right now and watch videos of Tesla Model S cars driving themselves for long distances on public freeways.

Musk is one of those guys who does things while people are telling him it can't be done and he gets it done anyway.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I have nothing against the idea of electrically-powered passenger vehicles, and I'm sure they are somewhere on the horizon as a viable alternative. And I'm actually a fan of Elon Musk's  SpaceX  program. I just don't think it's the federal government's place to be funding these projects with taxpayer dollars.

Maybe not, but the government throws money into everything, everywhere. Look at farming subsidies, for example. Or the auto bailout. Without getting homoerotic over it, musk is almost a national treasure. I think if we didn't suppor these industries he would find a country that would (he wasn't born here). And just in our neck of the woods he's also involved in solarcity.

• Like 1