2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

Went to hunt with a friend at his place, said he's been seeing birds.....apparently he slept in or forgot about it cause he never came out of the house ! I said screw it and headed out back at 515 . Unfamiliar ground....thought I heard a Jake gobble bout 615. Other than that, NADA. Everyday seems to have an odd twist, really want to punch a tag and call 17' quits !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

First morning I have listened from the camp porch. What a nice sunrise while listening to 4 birds gobbling. Yappy the hen even came out into the yard. She is nesting under one of the xmas trees I planted 20 years ago.
bfeb71170f17c1a50bfa55def98ec124.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

So. I've been from barre to ellicotville this season, hunted at least 20x and not a tag punched. Not even an opportunity at a bird. I almost don't believe you guys saying you hear gobbling after they are off the roost !! Seriously, what's the deal with the tight lipped Tom's !?! Been watching birds since April and I have prob heard a total of 10 gobbles all season. Things are not looking good !

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Well I'm all done for the season. Hear my last gobble at 6:15 and saw my last turkey around 8 when I called a hen to 5 yards. I had my best season so far and punched my tag on my best bird yet! I'm already excited for next year and I'm planning on getting a slate call. My crystal call was sounding kind of off the last couple times out and I couldn't even get a gobbler to respond to it. Figured that I was able to condition towards the end of my hunt. Either way I'm more than happy with my season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60 degrees. That's double the temps daughter got the other times we've hunted. Today's our last crack at a bird for her. Hope they want to play. Heading in now. Nice morning , mild winds , very slight drizzle. Good luck everyone

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

60 degrees. That's double the temps daughter got the other times we've hunted. Today's our last crack at a bird for her. Hope they want to play. Heading in now. Nice morning , mild winds , very slight drizzle. Good luck everyone

Good luck to you and Your daughter TF that would be a great memory for sure. 

Alls quiet up here for turkey talk. Gobbles way across the road. Cuckoo , wood thrushes and catbirds singing. Cmon turkeys

And now all we can hear is rain. It's coming down quite nicely.

I was hoping to get out at least one more time this weekend. 

Jeff1211 wanted to go as well as my grand nephew.  Just didn't have the time. Rain had me so behind on my lawns and clients were expecting their properties to look good for the weekend.  Mowed from dawn to dusk on Sat, and until noon yesterday.  Would have preferred to be in the woods, but gotta pay the bills, lol.

I went to Farmersville yesterday didn't hear anything at first light. Went to try to find 1 and thought I heard a gobble way off so we closed the gap, heard some hen yelps followed by a shot. It was real close so we waited, had a hen run right by. Found another Hunter in a blind on the field edge, still calling so I assumed he missed. Called in 2 hens, no gobbler, saw 1 hen across the street, no gobbler? With all the lone hens I've seen you would think the gobblers would come running. Some scank must have them all at her place!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

And that's a wrap. Nothing talking. That's 2 birdless seasons and last deer season for kiddo. Not sure her gun makes noise in the woods. Dang

She'll tip one over, and you two will get that double!

I shifted my efforts from the gobbler that I've been chasing for the past week and a half to a new one on the neighboring farm. He has been out here with 4 big jake's for the past several days. Saw him here last night. Yesterday's hunt indicated that he wasn't a big fan of calling. He's gobbled twice so far across the field. Gonna sit tight with no calling and hope the jake deke does the trick. 

The darn mosquitoes are terrible this morning! !!

Ever hear those WTH was that noise and have no idea ?! Just had one. Sounded like and extremely muffled gun shot with no echo inside 80-100 yards. Or a short loud growl/roar of sort. I'm now waiting for Bigfoot to jump in my blind. Freaking weird sound. I'm going to shoot me a squatch. And no birds talking.

Edited by turkeyfeathers

50 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Mission accomplished, not hit by lightning and completely soaked.

No rain here TF give us an update?  Some of us ( probably just me have been up all night with a crocodile puppy) lurking on the inter web . 

Pulled the plug early after it rained all morning and never heard a bird. First part of season heard gobbles all but once. Last 3x nothing. Field mode ain't going to happen here. Some of this grass is higher than my waist. Made for a wet walk in. 62c5938722d7da53a428863b6d16c4b1.jpg
Flamingo turkeys
26ec73bf562de73ee039baeaeddd7c6d.jpg
Scooched this dirty snapper off the road
267163988ce962b92312c3214592990e.jpg
4 plowed/tilled fields held birds on way home.
Lawdwaz knows the one. Full strutter spinning in circles with his lady friend off 20 yards.

• Like 5