2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

19 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I've had zero luck in years getting shock gobbles with crow call or owl hooter.  Brother has 2 adult toms in the woods behind his house. Sitting on his porch at go time he heard zero gobbles yesterday and 1 this morning. Man, they're tight lipped. Just gotta catch em on a day they feel like talking.

Same here, if a bird is already fired up, it seems they gobble at a crow or owl or anything for that matter. Maybe its everywhere but there are an insane amount of crows at my place. If we try to get a shock gobble the evening before, we wait til they are in the tree and darkness is falling, then hit them with a pot and pan and loud, one big clang. Has worked well quite a few times where others calls rarely ever work. Coyote howler has worked before on distant birds. But overall it seems the wood pecker or peacock call works best but still seldom works where we are. 

Been quiet mornings on the roost here too.. but birds seem to be without hens the majority of the time..

Went to get the mail..rain and wind stopped at 11:58. Got mail at 2 and a Tom was gobbling near where I had sat below the ridge yesterday...gosh doesn't That just figure...will try before the dogs get here in the morning tomorrow...This sun coming up earlier and earlier is starting to be a PITA...lol

Edited by growalot

Spotted my nemesis in the field this evening. I have an idea where he and his girls roost. Hope he responds to the hoot in the am, then it's get as close as possible and shoot him when he lands. I have to outsmart this bird at some point. If not, I'll take a bit of luck !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Bill Schmidt said:

TAGGED OUT WITH REALLY NICE 20 POUNDER.

I was out before work. Light rain and some wind.I heard a total of 3 gobblers today. 2 in the hardwoods with me and 1 in the field. Today, I was using the Primos Jackpot caller. A glass caller with a hickory peg. I pressed this caller to my side and closed off the sound ports. 5 yelps in a circular way and a roosted hen starts yelping back at me!!  You know you have a good caller when a hen responds like that. And closed off like that- my Jackpot had a perfect nasal tone.

Now that field gobbler was getting closer to me and that roosted hen. I worked my way to the edge through thick briars. The rain and wind covered this noise. Finally near the edge- but 10 feet back, I was behind a bush with that gobbler looking in my direction. I had a bad position though. I had to move to a better spot close by and hit those nasal yelps again. He did not gobble - but took some steps closer to the field edge.

A hen came running into the field and was close to that gobbler. That bush, I was behind was thick! The hen moved off and I lost sight of the gobbler. I moved even closer to the edge and looked way right---empty field. I took a chance and moved like a snail out to the side of that thick bush.  There was my gobbler at 25 yards- standing in the light rain at 25 yards and looking for the hen--(me).  Clean neck shot .  He weighed 20 pounds even and his breast sponge was almost depleted. He just started to eat again as there was grass seeds in his gizzard. He had sharp 1" spurs and a 81/2 beard. Taken in the Orange County (black dirt) area where onions are the #1 crop.   Hopefully Jeannine will go out this weekend-- I will do the calling.

Great hunt. Every hunt is different, a challenge. Good job.

• Like 1

Well, roosted the tom that I've been chasing last night. He had three hens with him. Right now, I'm camped out in the plowed field below him. I killed a late season bird with this set up last year He just gobbled less than 100 yds away but hasn't gobbled much over the past few mornings. I'm probably not even going to call at him. I hope he comes down into the field early and the dekes do their job. I have to leave by 6:30 for work. 

Woke at 4, drove, got out there. Hunted for perhaps 5 minutes. Realized this time of year in that location is no good. The forest is like a jungle now. Hacked a trail wider so it will be in good shape for deer season and drove home.

Son and I put a few miles on this morning. Found the same tom from last Saturday but he was henned up and not interested in me so we attempted to cut the distance down. Made it close and got busted. While there I looked way out acrossed the valley and spotted another strutter so we went back to the truck and drove around closer. We still had a mile to cover and two creeks to crosss. Made it across one creek and we were trying to set up in a thorn bush when we got busted. That one would have been damn near impossible to get due to the terrain and second creek. No where to hide. Back at it tomorrow for one last hunt, this time around home as we both agreed we don't want to walk 5-6 miles again. Lol 

And my wife and daughter were smart enough to stay home today.