Better have fruit this year!!

darn near all the fruit trees are in blossom even some young wild ones...the plums look like clouds the blk cherry ,both cultivated and wild are loaded...I love a good wild blk. cherry. The strawberries wild and even in the patch are all in blossom. Now all trees...why I can't stop coughing and my sinuses are flowing.... have kept everything out side and in covered in a lime green layer of pollen. This should  means the maples and ash are going to dump whirlies big time this year.

• 4 weeks later...

The cold and storms have caused some fruit drop...the plums,first to flower got hit the hardest...just one tree has some fruit..The wet dank weather has blight hitting the wild apples and a couple of cultivated ones. Cherries did well  pears just so so, kiwi?, berries great worried about grapes...peaches afraid to look... 

Edited by growalot

The "hub-bub" around my neck of the woods (apple country) is that pollination was somewhat sparse &/or sporadic due to so much rain &/or colder temps during peak blossom bloom. Different fruits and their peak bloom times varied as to weather conditions, bee activity and successful pollination. BTW - Those farmers pay a pretty penny to import and lease hives to have the spring time weather determine crop success. Hazard of farming!?!

• Like 1

Well Any tree here that bloomed early here has sparce apples.. They have some but looks like they were thined heavy. The late bloomers are loaded.. Glad I planted some years ago specifically for this reason of cold wet spring..

On the bright side.. Find a loaded tree in sparge years and hunting I 1000x better than in a "good" apple year

7 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

The "hub-bub" around my neck of the woods (apple country) is that pollination was somewhat sparse &/or sporadic due to so much rain &/or colder temps during peak blossom bloom. Different fruits and their peak bloom times varied as to weather conditions, bee activity and successful pollination. BTW - Those farmers pay a pretty penny to import and lease hives to have the spring time weather determine crop success. Hazard of farming!?!

Over 300 $ per hive!

Edited by E J

Don't know where they go had a huge swarm take up the whole driveway and then move on. Don't know of that's a good thing or not. I planted garden with plants tighter together this year. I wonder if putting in a wildflower bed between them or next to them would help?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I always plant flowers near...The wild hive tend to swarm this time of year  breaking off to make a new hive with a new surviving queen...it is why bee keepers keep empty hives to catch the over flows. wild bees are looking for a new home...Unfortunately I found out our new local bee keeper created his hives by catching wild swarms ...he lost a couple in the winter and then moved 4 of them out of the area... Personally I think there should be regulations on this  but there are not. I'm now relying on my local bumble bees and other pollen collectors eaters.

• 3 weeks later...

.the plums,first to flower got hit the hardest...just one tree has some fruit..

Doesn't it figure...The one branch on the one plum that had fruit survive...I found laying on the ground ..though still attached after the last storm...I'm actually considering wound spraying it and allowing it to continue growing until fall then removing it...I'll have to wait until it drys up...got caught in a thunderstorm an hour ago...now the suns out before the next round which is on it's way. 12pm and a whopping 53 degrees out...low says 50 for tonight but we'll be in the high 40's..I predicted few days in the 90's....not the high 70's or mid 80's....:mda: