Bass-Pro Sucks

fasteddie

Visited BassPro in Orlando and they were out of several bullets and also several reloading items . Some of the prices at the small shops back home are less expensive than here . It was a wasted trip ! Maybe i'll check out the one in Charlotte , NC on the way home .

I drove out to Auburn, NY to the BPS and was very disappointed with the hunting (gun & archery) sections. Very limited, over priced and the staff was not helpful at all. Actually, one of the guys made a comment about me being incorrect about what I was questioning him about, when in fact he had no idea and had never even heard of the gun I was asking about, he finally stated...................."We don't have such a thing, and simply walked away".

The guy in charge of the archery shop was on the phone with someone, and was airing the dirty laundry of BPS for the whole world to hear............................Was very unprofessional in my opinion.

I doubt I will ever enter another one of their stores again.

FDXX75

Here's my story. FDXX75 bought my redhead arrows off of me. I went to BPS to buy a Showdown Ice fishing flasher b/c they are the only locel store that had then left. Since I was there I went up to look at new arrows. Cory the archery manager was there. I told him the bow I am shooting my draw length and poundage. Told him I am looking at the beman, gold tips and carbon express. He talked me into the gold tips. I went to my truck and brought my bow in so he could measure  my arrows to cut them. Again I stated I'm shooting 65lbs. He set me up with Gold tip pro hunter 5575. Here's where I messed up. I didn't look at the arrow chart on the box to double check. He cut my arrows. We chatted for a bit. I let the store. When I got home I was looking over the box and saw I needed the 7595 arrows.  ::D YES I WAS MAD AS ALL HECK.  I just bought arrows I shouldn't be shooting. I did some research on line and asked around on some bow sight and was told I need to get the 7595's. I called BPS back and talk to Cory. He tells me the arrows I bought are fine and he should the same ones. I explain that to me archery is all about confidence and if I think I have the wrong arrows it just won't work. Plus what I paid for them I should be happy. He told me to bring them in and he'll exchange them.  Long story short they will work with you but make sure you go in there knowing what you really need.

Been to the Auburn BP several times, but have rarely found what I really wanted.

Not worth the $20 in gas I spend to go browse the store.

Generally shop online and can get exactaly what I want in the size/color/style I need.

Prefer Cabela's to BP's online items, but usually can be found cheaper using Google search.

We usually take my daughter out to the Auburn BPS a time or two a year. We go for the Christmas thing they have for the kids and then we stop there when we are out camping that way during the summer. I dont usually buy much, my daughter just likes to go lol. I get better deals online and at Dicks or Gander most of the time.

Sure am Glad I didnt make a 'side' trip to the Auburn BPS on my syracuse trip.. I went to the Myrtle Beach BPS years ago, and the people were very helpful. I wonder if the Auburn store has trouble finding 'outdoors' knowledgeable people to man the store..

I have had about the same service as every one else at the BPS in Auburn. I stopped into the BPS in Memphis, Tenn last year, and was surprised at the super attitude and help that the employees had. Prices was still way to high.

I try to shop local when possible, and support the local sporting good stores.

The problems I see are these, and not limited to Bass Pro Shops either. I stay away from Cabelas and Gander Mountain too. 1) All of them have nothing but inflated prices anymore. Years ago, you got their catalogs and purchased from them via mail order, because of the savings. Nowadays if you buy for them, you are covering their added costs, of all their additional overhead and superstores. Most of these stores.. their gun and archery pros - don't know jack!

The problems I see are these, and not limited to Bass Pro Shops either. I stay away from Cabelas and Gander Mountain too. 1) All of them have nothing but inflated prices anymore. Years ago, you got their catalogs and purchased from them via mail order, because of the savings. Nowadays if you buy for them, you are covering their added costs, of all their additional overhead and superstores. Most of these stores.. their gun and archery pros - don't know jack!

I agree with the above statement to an extent. Rising costs & the unknowledgable staffing is dead on. But, I still find some things to be reasonable or cheaper from Cabela's compared to other catalog or on-line sources. Also, their quality and customer service is above the rest IMO.

I was slightly disappointed a few yrs. ago when I drove to Reading, PA to the newly opened Cabela's store, I had a list of items I wanted to fill and only found 40% of the list in the store. Now, mind you..................these items were not odd ball/crazy stuff, pretty standard items. Well, when I asked about the stuff, I was told the store was having trouble keeping up with the volume of people that were visiting the location since it opened.............................But, most of the items I was looking for were not stock items either.

I was very pleased and impressed with the staff and their knowledge/helpfulness compared to that of BPS. I was rather put off by BPS's staff attitude and lack of customer concern.

FDXX75

What I hate about BPS in Auburn you get there flyer and they have a special on this day. Well some  people have to work and can't get there when they open. I make a special trip about a hour one way from the house after I get done with work. Go to the archery department looking for the stealth cams they had advertised and, the guy says says in a rude way they where gone when we opened, so I ask are the giving rain checks or a substituting another model and he says those are gone too. So I went to the gun department and they did have the gun I wanted so I did buy that. The gun had a rebate so when doing the rebate I noticed a survey on the receipt so I filled it out and I was honest, and said gave them a terrible service. I received a phone call with in the hour from the archery manager. I explained everything he said he was sorry and also said he would have the Stealth Cams that I wanted in with in a week for me. Sure enough the following week they called and I went and picked them up. So thoses surveys do pay off.

What I hate about BPS in Auburn you get there flyer and they have a special on this day. Well some  people have to work and can't get there when they open. I make a special trip about a hour one way from the house after I get done with work. Go to the archery department looking for the stealth cams they had advertised and, the guy says says in a rude way they where gone when we opened, so I ask are the giving rain checks or a substituting another model and he says those are gone too. So I went to the gun department and they did have the gun I wanted so I did buy that. The gun had a rebate so when doing the rebate I noticed a survey on the receipt so I filled it out and I was honest, and said gave them a terrible service. I received a phone call with in the hour from the archery manager. I explained everything he said he was sorry and also said he would have the Stealth Cams that I wanted in with in a week for me. Sure enough the following week they called and I went and picked them up. So thoses surveys do pay off.

So you spent 4 hrs. road time, lets say @ 200 miles in gas money to pick up some trail cams on special..............................I think, they would have been shipping them to my house,free postage. Now that would be a working survey...................................So what did you actually save after all the time and gas money??????

FDXX75

Actually, I have had better luck finding whatever I want at the Auburn Bass-Pro than I have at The Henrietta Gander Mountain. I am always amazed at all the empty shelves and vacant product hooks. In fact I guess I have now sworn off making the trip to Gander from now on because I have not been there over the past couple of years without walking out all torqued about some common item that was out of stock. Everytime I go looking for reloading items, I can guarantee that I will be disappointed. They even seem to be getting worse each time I go up there. I even went to all the trouble of calling ahead to ensure that a particular size shell holder (for the bullet press) was in stock and found out after the hour long drive that I was lied to. So I guess it's back to Beikirch's (sp??) in East Rochester.

I hate Gander Mountain in cicero. I like to mess with the guys in the fishing department there. I'll walk in and ask for walleye divers by cotton cordell and they always tell me they don't carry them. I then walk over to where they are grab a few and go back to the guys and say Look I found? Guess you do carry them. Every time I'm in there I ask for them and they tell me they do not carry them.

I go occasionally to BPS and seldom and overwhelmed by any prices. I have bought arrows on sale and had no prblems. Last time ended up getting some shorts and shirts that were priced real well. I do go to Gander because it is close and same as BPScI like feeling and seeing stuff in my hands. You can not do that online. I already know the online price so if Gander is higher I just by online. I have also noticed this store has strange stocking patterns and at times is out of a lot of stuff. Dicks I usually hit for simple needed items and always keep an eye on their clearance stuff.