Coyotes At Work

Steve D

54 minutes ago, TACC said:

Looks like what the bears were doing, we literally found one ripped in 1/2.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

I believe in Pa they think that bears are responsible for at least as much fawn predation as coyotes.  By the way coyotes are capable of tearing a fawn in half also.

jperch

I've seen coyotes eat an adult deer in less time then that and with pups I would think parts would be missing...have any of you considered  fishers?

The fisher, an animal about the size of a fox, dines on squirrels, rabbits, porcupine, raccoon and carrion. Fishers will even kill young fawns in the spring, but are not considered a threat to adult deer. An adult fisher can weigh up to 15 pounds. Fishers were once trapped for their fur but the primary cause of their near demise was clear cutting large tracts for forest lands. Fisher thrive on large tracts of unbroken forest that accommodate their nomadic lifestyle.

Edited by growalot

It looks to me like the yotes ate everything on that fawn except the spots.  I deer hunt three different properties now, one in Cayuga County, one in Oswego County and one in Livingston County.  There is not much coyote trouble in Livingston but on the other two properties if you leave a deer over night most likely there won't be much left in the morning.  

jperch

I am not a real big fan of coyotes, but I hesitate to say with certainty that every dead and dined on fawn is the work of coyotes. I have come across dead fawns curled up without any trace of physical trauma. I have seen road killed fans that all of a sudden disappear into the bush perhaps to be found later by someone who assumes it is another coyote victim. We know that there are no shortages of predators out there or other carrion eaters (from the ground and the sky) that can kill of take advantage of a fawn carcass that can die of any number of causes including health deficiencies. So yes we can swear at the coyotes, but understand that there are many critters that leave dined-on fawn carcasses scattered throughout the woods.

• Like 2

So today I go back and walk it again and sure enough the carcass is gone. Right next to where it laid was a big pile of coyote scat that wasn't there yesterday. Either way a coyote was involved. If it didn't kill the fawn it definitely carried it off. It is the third one I have found in the last few years and for some reason they have always been killed and partially eaten one night a dragged off the next day.

A few years ago I left a buck during bow because it became to dark to track. Went back the next morning at daylight and when I found the buck the entire hind quarters was gone. I also had one kill and dismember a red fox in a trap.

We have em for sure and they are some sneaky critters.

2015 fall on the same trail where the fawn was killed:

WGI_0089.jpg

Edited by Steve D

On one of the properties that I have earned permission to hunt on the landowner gave me a set of rules, one of which was not to harm any coyotes, the landowner enjoyed watching them.  They were bold, it was common to see them during the day.  Then her son's cat was taken and the rules were completely changed.  I don't hate coyotes but everything must be in balance.  Given the chance I think coyotes will kill a cat for food, I think dogs are primarily killed as a competition thing.  That's just my opinion, could be wrong about that.

jperch

I can't hate coyotes for being coyotes and doing what they do. But the problem starts when there are too many of them doing what they do. I can honestly say, that since we and others in the area. Actively started hunting them and called in a trapper, to thin out the numbers. We have seen an increase in fawn survival and deer numbers on our properties, over the last few years. I'm not foolish enough to believe that we will totally rid our properties of coyotes, nor would I want to. I do have respect for them and enjoy matching wits with them after deer season. An endeavor that they usually win by the way! But left totally uncontrolled, they will nearly decimate a deer, turkey and small game population, in certain areas. I've seen it with my own eyes. I also believe there should be no closed season on them. They are far too smart to be totally eradicated, but the numbers just need to be checked to keep a balance. Just my opinion.

• Like 7

When populations get too high, we do have the technology to do something about it. No one is going to get rich trapping coyotes, but they do have a hide that is worth the effort. Running a trapline will be an education in coyote lore that will also help you out on the rifle successes too. What other pastimes offer some cash, some wildlife teaching, and helps the deer herd too. Time to sign up for the nearest trapping course and start a new hobby. Get the kids involved too.

• Like 2

Well said doc. Trapping is a great way to help control the population especially on a specific piece of land. We have been trapping the land by my house for 4 years hard now and are lucky to get more than a few on trail cam a year and I am lucky to catch 1 or 2. That is why I have expanded my area and am now trapping up to 30 miles from my house on other properties for land owners. Trapping works. You guys who own land and don't trap really should consider granting someone permission even if it is after deer season (a lot of my access is this way). We as trappers can really help with predator control also nuisance animals too beaver muskrat coons ect. Also consider granting permission to guys for the 5 day (southern zone) Fisher season even tho it coincides with the rut (Oct 25 the 30) they are the only legal way to get rid of Fisher.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Since doing some serious reading on coyotes, will admit I have a begrudged​ respect for them. Actually​ miss hearing them at night. Still don't like them much and feel they are a nuisance and threat to deer, turkey, and other animals if numbers are not kept in check.
But, there lies the issue. Not many people trap or hunt coyotes, so the numbers in over populated areas will continues​ to grow.
The only thing that kept me going out solo last season was I have no one to call and say "Come get it for the hide.".

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Since doing some serious reading on coyotes, will admit I have a begrudged​ respect for them. Actually​ miss hearing them at night. Still don't like them much and feel they are a nuisance and threat to deer, turkey, and other animals if numbers are not kept in check.
But, there lies the issue. Not many people trap or hunt coyotes, so the numbers in over populated areas will continues​ to grow.
The only thing that kept me going out solo last season was I have no one to call and say "Come get it for the hide.".

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

There's good YouTube vids on skinning and depending on what part of state your in I'm sure someone could point you toward a fur buyer

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm rooting for the coyotes. They can kill them all as far as I'm concerned. I suffered many thousands of dollars of deer damage last winter, all at night. During the season, they hung out on the 700 acres of land around me where no hunting is allowed. We only killed 2 does last fall. Go coyotes!

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

I'm rooting for the coyotes. They can kill them all as far as I'm concerned

I have no problem with coyotes being coyotes and staying in the wild and doing their thing. The problem I have with them is when they start sneaking around looking for the "easy meal" like a fawn or someone's pet. Last year a friend found a den with 15 fawn carcasses scattered around the outside. If you do the math 15 fawns for one litter of coyotes will do severe damage to a deer population not counting the other game animals they kill.

I will have the traps out for sure this fall weather permitting  and if you like I will be happy to drop a couple off at your door.:prankster: