Coyotes At Work

Steve D

You will never completely remove all the coyotes from an area without extreme measures. We have a healthy amount of them on my properties. I will shoot them when offered a clean shot and take a couple here and there. I don't have any illusion about cleaning them out nor would I want to. I actually like them in controlled numbers. I like seeing them and hearing them sing at night. I think just keeping regular pressure on them keeps them from getting too thick on my place. I have rabbits, grouse, coons, squirrels and such I see regularly. And I run cameras and have a pretty good idea of when the does start having fawns and see most of them over and over on cam and know if a bunch started not showing up. So here at least deer are not the only or top food source. I am sure it is different all over the place and if they where really cutting into the deer population here I would get more extreme because overall I like seeing deer more than yotes!

I would throw out the idea that all these city spots now that need to hire sharpshooters or sterilization bugus should just trap some of your guys coyotes and relocate them by the truckload into those areas!! What a sight it would be to see the horror on the faces of those antihunting sterilization city slickers to see yotes tearing apart all those deer in their neighborhoods!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Because I'm too lazy at the moment to search the maze DEC calls its website, does anyone know if its legal to blow up yotes with tannerite? Haha. Seen some videos of it being done and it's looks like a load of fun.

In NY state coyotes are classified as a furbearer.  Furbearers have a season and defined rules under which they can be hunted and or trapped.  Even licensed wildlife nuisance control operators have to follow the "manner of taking and transporting" laws.  Since there is not a tannerite season defined I would assume it would not be legal...especially out of season.

I am not a big fan of the coyote but if I pursue it I will do it legally and within the confines of hunting guidelines to maintain my privilege to hunt and trap. If my family, property, or pets are threatened that would be a different story.

Like it or not I play by the rules and don't believe "blowing them up" with anything falls in the category of following the rules. Until such time they are "unprotected" that is the way it is....at least for me.

Sorry I ever started this thread.

• Like 1

In NY state coyotes are classified as a furbearer.  Furbearers have a season and defined rules under which they can be hunted and or trapped.  Even licensed wildlife nuisance control operators have to follow the "manner of taking and transporting" laws.  Since there is not a tannerite season defined I would assume it would not be legal...especially out of season.
 I am not a big fan of the coyote but if I pursue it I will do it legally and within the confines of hunting guidelines to maintain my privilege to hunt and trap. If my family, property, or pets are threatened that would be a different story.
Like it or not I play by the rules and don't believe "blowing them up" with anything falls in the category of following the rules. Until such time they are "unprotected" that is the way it is....at least for me.
Sorry I ever started this thread.

Thanks for the clarification. Seems to be if anyone asks a question around here, it's assumed that the person asking is already doing something wrong.

I never asked for anyone's moral feelings behind it. Just whether or not it was technically legal. I figured it wouldn't be in this liberal jack wagon state, but can't hurt to ask.

It is funny to see the difference in west vs east when it comes to the methods of killing. Hell, Texas is now letting you poison the hogs. Could you imagine NY letting us poison something? The tears and forum keyboard shaming would be outstanding.

14 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

I never asked for anyone's moral feelings behind it.

Isis wouldn't either and they are real good at blowing things up. Me personally never considered blowing things up as a means of hunting.

10 hours ago, Steve D said:
Isis wouldn't either and they are real good at blowing things up. Me personally never considered blowing things up as a means of hunting.

Seeing how "hunting" and attempted eradication of coyotes go hand in hand a lot of the time, I'm not sure why there needs to be a line in the sand. Your either out to kill as many as possible or your not.

Unreal that you could compare this to ISIS's religion based brain washing and ways.

Your flirting with being unpatriotic if you don't love to blow stuff up. As Americans, we are the world champs at it, twice over, soon to be 3 time champ

I think the big problem that some have with shooting, trapping and other control methods of coyotes is that they look too much like Fido. To them it is "dog killing". They get as emotional as the most dyed-in-the-wool anti-hunter. It is Bambi-ism simply transferred to any animal that looks like their family pet. What they fail to realize is that as noted above, they sit at the top of the food chain around here and obviously, these people with the anti-hunting/trapping mentality can't seem to understand what happens when any species is allowed to multiply in an uncontrolled fashion. 

But it would be useful for people to understand that coyotes are not pet canines any more than Bambi was really a talking deer.

• Like 2

Speaking of Fido....

Ever seen this in person? It's pretty wild. This will really screw up some moral compasses on here. Watching a pack of Fidos run that yote down and rip it to pieces. So a rapid, yet asuumeingly painful dismembering by dogs is cool, but a quick death by explosion is a no no? I guess I will never understand these moral grey areas...anyone have a map?
  • Like 2

Speaking of Fido....

Ever seen this in person? It's pretty wild. This will really screw up some moral compasses on here. Watching a pack of Fidos run that yote down and rip it to pieces. So a rapid, yet asuumeingly painful dismembering by dogs is cool, but a quick death by explosion is a no no? I guess I will never understand these moral grey areas...anyone have a map?

That's actually one reason why yote and got hunting with dogs doesn't appeal to me. Altho I have never done it and would like to some day to experience it as I bet it is a whole lotta fun

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Your flirting with being unpatriotic if you don't love to blow shit up

Having been in the military and combat I have had more than enough experience "blowing stuff up" as you put it.

I don't need to blow stuff up to be patriotic. End of conversation for me.

• Like 1

Isn't this wonderful. How many of you are aware that anti-hunters read these posts? I know first hand. At the time we were discussing the control of mute swans, I had my real name on my signature line. That's when the 24 hour harassing phone calls started. No cell service here, only the land line. Since I'm a public person, the phone number is not hard to find.

I consider myself an ambassador for hunting, having made over 20 formal public presentations since 2014 to maybe a thousand people. These are focused on eagle conservation - as are some of the articles I have written - and not targeted towards hunters. However, my hunting practices are brought up each time because they directly affect eagle conservation. I'm proud to be a hunter, usually. Some of what I am reading and seeing here is great ammunition for the PETA crowd. It is offensive, which suits the antis just fine, and quite indefensible from my point of view

You can live in your little bubbles of like minded people. However, hunters are a small minority. If a significant part of the population turns further against us, it will turn out badly, especially in a state like NY. Hunters have a PR problem and a couple of people here are making it worse.     

Before tossing out more stones from your glass house ....Let me ask, these anti -hunter fodder post you inference would also include your little ditty which:

1. started this off pretty well

2. lets be reminded you say killing them ALL was in reference to the slaughter of newborn fawns

I'm rooting for the coyotes. They can kill them all as far as I'm concerned.

So your deer damage is more important than anyone else coyote damage ? Rhetorical question just pointing out that you might want to step down from that soap box....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Speaking of Fido....

Cool video.

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Isn't this wonderful. How many of you are aware that anti-hunters read these posts? I know first hand. At the time we were discussing the control of mute swans, I had my real name on my signature line. That's when the 24 hour harassing phone calls started. No cell service here, only the land line. Since I'm a public person, the phone number is not hard to find.

I consider myself an ambassador for hunting, having made over 20 formal public presentations since 2014 to maybe a thousand people. These are focused on eagle conservation - as are some of the articles I have written - and not targeted towards hunters. However, my hunting practices are brought up each time because they directly affect eagle conservation. I'm proud to be a hunter, usually. Some of what I am reading and seeing here is great ammunition for the PETA crowd. It is offensive, which suits the antis just fine, and quite indefensible from my point of view

You can live in your little bubbles of like minded people. However, hunters are a small minority. If a significant part of the population turns further against us, it will turn out badly, especially in a state like NY. Hunters have a PR problem and a couple of people here are making it worse.     

Some Anti's read on here and some probably even Write on here. Not real worried about hunting going anywhere. Even in Ny. Ha..They cant control the critters with the few hunters they have left. Flame On!

11 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Just whether or not it was technically legal. I figured it wouldn't be in this liberal jack wagon state, but can't hurt to ask.

I'm still wondering how Tannerite itself is legal in NY. It's fun, so I figured it can't possibly be allowed here.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, growalot said:

Before tossing out more stones from your glass house ....Let me ask, these anti -hunter fodder post you inference would also include your little ditty which:

1. started this off pretty well

2. lets be reminded you say killing them ALL was in reference to the slaughter of newborn fawns

So your deer damage is more important than anyone else coyote damage ? Rhetorical question just pointing out that you might want to step down from that soap box....

Reading some of those posts about anti's and words like kill them all kinda leads towards being a member of that club. Nothing new there.

The world and certainly this forum, would be pretty boring if we all thought the same. I try to respect ALL opinions. Even if I don't agree with some of them. It definitely keeps things interesting, that's for sure! As I previously stated, I'm all in for keeping the coyote numbers in check. And would even like to see, no closed season on them. But how each hunter goes about taking em out is up to them! If I could afford it, I'd go with one of those real expensive thermal imaging scopes on an AR platform. Now THAT would be cool to me.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I'm still wondering how Tannerite itself is legal in NY. It's fun, so I figured it can't possibly be allowed here.

Everytime I buy more, I tend to get more than I really need at the time because I figure it may be the last time Im allowed to buy it here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Speaking of Fido....

Thats a great video, those dogs love to hunt

And right after the antis shut down hunting, NATO is coming for your guns, and freedom of speech will be amended. .

I think your getting a bit carried away with the fear factor. I'm positive there's a lot of anti hunters. But I highly doubt they outnumber the people who hunt, plus the people who are neutral and don't care. The proof is in the pudding, if it was the way you claim, hunting would be over with by now.

I'm curious as to what "ammunition" peta could get here in this thread. Everything I've wrote and read has been about legal tactics in other states. No one ever said they would do it where it was deemed illegal. So I'm not really seeing anything that could be used against us. Your opinions clearly show today's worlds biggest issue...feelings. Everything has become about everyone's "feelings". When will we move back into the real world and base things on facts rather than how it may or may not make somebody "feel". Just because you or anyone else finds something "offensive" doesn't mean it is wrong or illegal. This is why the antis and peta get ignored by rational human beings.

People like me will never fit into your bubble of worrying who's going to be offended by everything in the world. No one should bear that kind of burden. Just like I expect everyone else not to worry if I'm offended or not. Being the adult that I am, I can just go about my business, something that should be engrained into our youth.

1 hour ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

They are awesome to watch. It's incredible how dang fast they are! A lot of trucks get wrecked doing it though haha. They haul ass through those fields, the time I went I thought I was gonna die!

I bet that was fun, I always loved hunting with hounds. I'd like to shoot hogs out of a helicopter too

• Like 1

I bet that was fun, I always loved hunting with hounds. I'd like to shoot hogs out of a helicopter too

I was dead set on doing the heli hog hunts...then I saw the price! Haha! They are out of their minds. At least the one place I looked into, you kept the automatic shotgun they give you to use. But it was like 8 or 10 grand for a couple hours. I need a whole weeks worth for that kinda money!

4 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

I was dead set on doing the heli hog hunts...then I saw the price! Haha! They are out of their minds. At least the one place I looked into, you kept the automatic shotgun they give you to use. But it was like 8 or 10 grand for a couple hours. I need a whole weeks worth for that kinda money!

I knew it was a lot, the videos are fun to watch

1 hour ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

And right after the antis shut down hunting, NATO is coming for your guns, and freedom of speech will be amended. emoji849.png.

I think your getting a bit carried away with the fear factor. I'm positive there's a lot of anti hunters. But I highly doubt they outnumber the people who hunt, plus the people who are neutral and don't care. The proof is in the pudding, if it was the way you claim, hunting would be over with by now.

I'm curious as to what "ammunition" peta could get here in this thread. Everything I've wrote and read has been about legal tactics in other states. No one ever said they would do it where it was deemed illegal. So I'm not really seeing anything that could be used against us. Your opinions clearly show today's worlds biggest issue...feelings. Everything has become about everyone's "feelings". When will we move back into the real world and base things on facts rather than how it may or may not make somebody "feel". Just because you or anyone else finds something "offensive" doesn't mean it is wrong or illegal. This is why the antis and peta get ignored by rational human beings.

People like me will never fit into your bubble of worrying who's going to be offended by everything in the world. No one should bear that kind of burden. Just like I expect everyone else not to worry if I'm offended or not. Being the adult that I am, I can just go about my business, something that should be engrained into our youth.

When New Jersey lost their bear hunting is was legal. When California lost it's mountain lion hunting it was legal. Legal and illegal means nothing in his points. The antis are vocal and much more so than the hunting population. The ones on the fence are the ones most influenced by anything they deem offensive.