Where are those plots?

My oats germinated pretty well but I thought they were a bit behind after being planted two weeks ago? 

Brassicas planted a month ago as a test strip look awesome! I can only hope the oats and brassicas planted two weeks ago have the same success.  

Turkeyfeathers, I think we have a similar experience when it comes to food plots and it looks like it's working out for both of us.

20170911_132259.jpg

Screenshot_20170910-203646.png

Screenshot_20170910-203651.png

20170910_165806.jpg

• Like 3

I put in 7 plots totaling about 3.2 acres. I should have been posting as a went along. I have had numerous challenges with broken and lost equipment parts (and I thought I had bought some good name brand stuff to work with). Broken welds, loose/lost nuts, lost linchpins, lost hitchpins, lost hitches--it's been one thing after another. To the extent my experience with equipment is typical, farmers must be incredibly resourceful dealing with equipment failures in the field. (I lost a retaining pin on my spreader axle today and ended using a padlock I had in my car as a replacement. Anyway, I finally was able to seed all of the plots (one week late), and will go back tomorrow to cultipack them. It's been quite the learning experience. I hope they grow something this season.

• Like 1

I put in 7 plots totaling about 3.2 acres. I should have been posting as a went along. I have had numerous challenges with broken and lost equipment parts (and I thought I had bought some good name brand stuff to work with). Broken welds, loose/lost nuts, lost linchpins, lost hitchpins, lost hitches--it's been one thing after another. To the extent my experience with equipment is typical, farmers must be incredibly resourceful dealing with equipment failures in the field. (I lost a retaining pin on my spreader axle today and ended using a padlock I had in my car as a replacement. Anyway, I finally was able to seed all of the plots (one week late), and will go back tomorrow to cultipack them. It's been quite the learning experience. I hope they grow something this season.

Welcome to farming! And think you're only doing it part time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, goosifer said:

Have you ever heard the phrase "farmer fix".   That means using items that you have on hand to get the job done.   You would be surprised at what can be accomplished with a odd assortment of wire, duct tape, and nuts and bolts.   Keeping some of that stuff in the toolbox on a tractor can often let you finish a job without a trip back to the shop, where a welder, power tools, and a larger parts assortment can fix many larger problems.    

One way to minimize required fixes is to keep equipment maintained in good working order.  It makes sense to lube things up properly AFTER use.  That way, you get the corrosion protection of the lubricant thru storage periods and it will be ready to use when the weather opens up a window of opportunity with no delay to "lube before use".     

• Like 1

Finished cultipacking today. All equipment will need to be cleaned and lubed. I wiil also deal with the superficial rust that has already formed on all the equipment. The defective Farmboy 3 pt hitch for the Kubota RTV will be returned. The stabilizer bar (broken weld) for the King Kutter spreader will be replaced under warranty.

As far as what I planted:

Plot acres    
1 0.55 Evolved Harvest Canola Crush Food Plot Seed Mix brassicas: canola, rape, turnip
2 0.27 Evolved Harvest Throw Gro X-treme Oats Food Plot ryegrass, oats, rape, red clover
3 0.37 Antler King Honey Hole Food Plot Mix brassicas
4 0.52 EasyPlot Deer Food Plot Seed clover, ryegrass, brassica
5 0.42 Tecomate Max-Attract 50/50 Mix peas, clover, grains
6 0.37 Tecomate Ultra Forage Mix brassicas: legumes, chicory, turnips
6 0.25 Evolved Harvest Throw Gro X-treme Oats Food Plot ryegrass, oats, rape, red clover
7 0.47 Tecomate Ultra Forage Mix brassicas: legumes, chicory, turnips

The Tecomate Max-Attract 50/50 mix had a nice bulk to it, making it easier to spread. The tiny seed stuff was hard for me to gauge. We shall see. 

I forgot to take pics today (was running out of daylight), but I did take a pic of the equipment I was working with today:

IMG_20170912_172555.jpg

• Like 5

well the the two plots that went in aug 6 look great some plants are a foot or better and the brassica/radish or whatever they are have bulbs the size of golf balls starting, and as far as everyone saying the deer dont eat this stuff till a frost wrong... not alot of pressure but they sure are eating some. the clover looks better since being mowed. the last plot that is only like 2weeks old has some growth and germination but nothing like the first two looked like after two weeks. im guessing way to late to plant and temps that are below normal.

9 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Forgot to post an update last weekend when I went to check the plots. They are all looking good. Deer are pounding the winter rye plots already. 

IMG_9302.JPG

IMG_9303.JPG

IMG_9304.JPG

IMG_9305.JPG

IMG_9306.JPG

IMG_9307.JPG

IMG_9308.JPG

Looks great! How long has that winter rye been in the ground? I can't buy a drop of rain, I'm concerned to say the least but what can you do. 

Edited by corydd7

My brassica seems a bit behind...and the clovers are very slow for being a red and Balansa...I have great grain growth. The end of one-way plot is being invaded by weed seed..I thought I'd gotten that down but nope...these will not have enough growth before winter to be a problem but I will need a legume  safe broadeaf weed killer first thing in spring. They are eating bedding spots in the oats...would not have noticed except the cam would show them just disappearing. The oats are just under 3ft now. So I walked out to wear I noticed this...Lol they have chewed down areas all over in there with flattened Alfalfa and clover..

The beef farmer just mowed his last strip of hay so the cams have been a bit slow..also starting to see damage in the outer edges of farmers corn. All the remaining soy bean fields near bye are yellowing so that should help to move the buck,that and they literally scalped the alfalfa fields last week.

• Like 1

My brassica seems a bit behind...and the clovers are very slow for being a red and Balansa...I have great grain growth. The end of one-way plot is being invaded by weed seed..I thought I'd gotten that down but nope...these will not have enough growth before winter to be a problem but I will need a legume  safe broadeaf weed killer first thing in spring. They are eating bedding spots in the oats...would not have noticed except the cam would show them just disappearing. The oats are just under 3ft now. So I walked out to wear I noticed this...Lol they have chewed down areas all over in there with flattened Alfalfa and clover..
The beef farmer just mowed his last strip of hay so the cams have been a bit slow..also starting to see damage in the outer edges of farmers corn. All the remaining soy bean fields near bye are yellowing so that should help to move the buck,that and they literally scalped the alfalfa fields last week.

They sure do scalp those alfalfa fields when they cut it. I pass a farm everyday to and from work that has 4 fields of it and they might even get a 4th cutting this year off it. It's amazing how fast it comes back with all this rain.
  • Like 1

Forgot to take pics today but plot looks good clover is doing well with some weeds mixed in. Apple trees did well this year should be bearing fruit next year. Went out with the week wacker and added some area to the plot tossed some throw and grow there for shits and giggles as well as on the atv trail leading in.... may take a ride out there tomoorow to check some cams and take pics for you guys

• Like 1

Here are my 3 plots. I planted about 3 weeks ago. The first one is clover. I did that there because the grade of the hill and I didn't want block the view of the pond. I will frost seed in the spring. That stuff is a pain on that hill by hand. I am just going to buy 50 lbs and throw it everywhere. 

The next 2 pics are plot 2. That has turnips, kale and radishes. My wife wants to take it over because of the view of the pond. I am going to miss her. The last 2  is plot 3. That is the wildlife mix. The may not be great but for someone who never grown anything more then a tomato I'm happy. The worst part is I am hooked. This is going to get expensive but it's something to do while waiting for opening day. Next year I will be putting stuff for turkeys too. It's cool just to bring stuff in to see. So far I am only seeing foot prints through the plots no browsing yet but I'm sure they will find it soon enough. 

Clover2.JPG

IMG_3002.JPG

Plot2A.JPG

Plot3A.JPG

Plot3B.JPG

• Like 2

I had some trimming to do when I went for my walk and checked the fields...the big WW and turnip /clover is doing well though turnips and clovers are slow and it got 15-15-15 and 32-10-6 and 0-20-20. I had it so mixed it all up and spread it..thought the WW was slow until I got real close and saw it was chomped down... I did pull cam card on the oak flats plot and it's looking good and being used...though I am now calling the area acorn alley...sounds like it's hailing down there..:biggrin:

PICT0010 (4).JPG

PICT0012 (6).JPG

On 9/15/2017 at 10:43 PM, corydd7 said:

Looks great! How long has that winter rye been in the ground? I can't buy a drop of rain, I'm concerned to say the least but what can you do. 

Those pics were at 3 weeks. It looks even better now. My phone was dead this past Saturday when I went down there so no new pics. The deer have been hitting it pretty hard already. My brassicas are at 6-8" tall now as well. Everything is right on track, hopefully this week and a half forecasted dry spell isn't going to hurt it. 

It is an addiction, welcome to the club! lol. I have one of my plots(My MurderPlot) planned for next year already, due to its over browsing this year. There isn't much left, besides the thin brassicas, clovers, chicory and WW coming up, but I doubt they will make much use out of it. Land owner gave me permission to expand it another acre next year, so i plan to have a big combo of screening/summer blend planted on the outside and towards the center to break it up (probably 1/2-3/4 acre) mainly to keep them secure and the inside of it hopefully will be the chicory clovers and alfalfa blend i seeded in August. If its thin i will mix in some brassicas as well.. I love planning, I just hate waiting! lol 

Plot is going but going slooooow. Still bringing deer in. Few small bucks and does n fawn. Simple chip shot for daughter though. 036c97ecfbdbcce20ce5a40524f1b876.png
Wanted to throw in a good sized plot by our natural blind. Way too much undergrowth with ferns and lack of sun. Did quick rake job and threw down some clover , Timothy grass and raked in a bag of dried mixed soup beans. Tiny plot of 12'x 24' tops. The greenery is bringing in critters though 90c810937de7883062b2b38af78e5369.png

TF did the beans make it at all...I know you got a cold snap about the time you put them in...I know you weren't expecting any real growth but just and attraction to the new food....

PS.... I have to say a seclusion cage on that trail plot might surprise you on growth...

Edited by growalot

TF did the beans make it at all...I know you got a cold snap about the time you put them in...I know you weren't expecting any real growth but just and attraction to the new food....
PS.... I have to say a seclusion cage on that trail plot might surprise you on growth...

Yes we did get a cold snap in the evenings down there. Compound that with a flock of turkeys 2 days after planting Trail cam had them in their for a long time. They didn't fare well. Ain't the worst $2 I've ever spent lol.

• Like 2