Fish breath..

wooly

Found a nice fat snapper in the creek today. I haven't been out with the camera much at all this year so this was a nice find today.

As much as I'm dying to get my hands on a snapper skull and shell to carve, I just can't bring myself to kill one for my own selfish reasons.

I settled for some shore pics before I watched him disappear into the depths downstream. These things are so damn cool to me!

DSC_0017.JPGDSC_0011.JPGDSC_0016.JPGDSC_0018.JPGDSC_0027.JPGDSC_0019.JPGDSC_0020.JPGDSC_0046_01.JPG

• Like 17

Found a nice fat snapper in the creek today. I haven't been out with the camera much at all this year so this was a nice find today.
As much as I'm dying to get my hands on a snapper skull and shell to carve, I just can't bring myself to kill one for my own selfish reasons.
I settled for some shore pics before I watched him disappear into the depths downstream. These things are so damn cool to me!

DSC_0017.JPGDSC_0011.JPGDSC_0016.JPGDSC_0018.JPGDSC_0027.JPGDSC_0019.JPGDSC_0020.JPGDSC_0046_01.JPG

You could have still eaten em and then did his skull

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Excellent shots!

Tuesday i was on the same road I saved a turtle on a few weeks ago...at nearly the same spot there was another in the middle of the road. This time a snapper... Holy Hanna they are fast...that booger nearly got my fingers.I had to skoot him to the side with my foot...But he was bent on getting latched on to me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

You could have still eaten em and then did his skull

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks all!

I thought about keeping him to cook up, but that entire turtle soup process looks like one that is better learned from someone with proven experience, and not just from watching you tube vids on it.

One screw up, or if I simply don't like it... and I'm back to square one having wasted a turtle for the trophy parts I desire.

I guess it's a just personal feeling I have sometimes that spares a lot of critters I come across.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, wooly said:

Thanks all!

I thought about keeping him to cook up, but that entire turtle soup process looks like one that is better learned from someone with proven experience, and not just from watching you tube vids on it.

One screw up, or if I simply don't like it... and I'm back to square one having wasted a turtle for the trophy parts I desire.

I guess it's a just personal feeling I have sometimes that spares a lot of critters I come across.

How big was that one Wooly?

• Like 1

Like Grampy stated they are survivors that probably are one of the few creatures to survive over millions of years.  Basically a perfect predator like gators, two animals I hope never latch onto me!  

Awesome pics!  I ran out of likes but probably would have used them all up on this page anyway.

LOL  Rachunter   " from the title I was expecting one of my co-worker"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

How big was that one Wooly?

Not really sure on a weight or shell measurements, but he was definitely one size larger than the average snapper I come across around here.

Somewhere between medium and large for a snapper I guess, but closer to a large,lol

10 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

LOL. bigger than a dinner plate?

Oh absolutely!

I can usually control them enough to pick them up underneath in one hand and snap a pic with the other.

This one was a two hander so no pics of the scoop up!

I have always been fond of snappers....<<grin>>...

I have a recipe that  IMHO is better than  any turtle soup ( and I have sampled at least 6 variations of turtle soup)...

The turtle is roasted , or perhaps braised, and you really get to enjoy the flavor of the turtle, rather than the flavor of the many other ingredients that most turtle soups consist of..

However,,Preparing a turtle for the table is a PITA...I have done perhaps 3 or 4 dozen of them and it still takes me a half hour at minimum to butcher one...

If you want the recipe, let me know...Otherwise, just keep enjoying them when you find them..They are very good, but I have eaten my last one...They are one of nature's great survivors..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...