My local yotes

The_Real_TCIII

The past two weeks the coyotes here have become extremely vocal. Every night this week they have been singing up a storm as I lay in bed in the wee hours of the morning.

The other day while checking cams I heard one trying to kick off the chorus about 50yds away tops in some thick stuff. On my way out the pack must have assembled and started an amazing group performance one ridge over from me. That all took place around 5 in the evening. I tried barking at them to call them over for some pics but I must not have sounded convincing enough.

Also got some video of a yote the other day carrying a chicken or turkey in the same area.... I couldn't tell which it was, followed by a few more yotes on the same trail in the following days. I'll have to start carrying some calls when I'm out with the camera.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, growalot said:

Now how can that be true?

As i recall..many times by many members:

1. Coyotes do not pack

2. coyotes are more afraid of us then we are of them

.....sorry i have a long  memory :wink:

Wow, I don't recall anyone thinking coyote arnt pack oriented . I'm curious who would think that on a hunting site. The big thing with coyote is they arnt genetically programmed like wolves to stay in a pack no matter what . 

• Like 1

They say the yotes in our area have a bit of wolf in them and is the reason they are typically larger than most  other areas of the country.  No doubt in my mind they pack up, all to often I have heard them in larger groups while out hunting.  The back of Long Lake rings a bell as they had what sounded like a large pack.  Most often I spot them solo when hunting.  

If I had small outdoor pets I would be concerned and keep an eye on them.  They are such an opportunistic animal, any chance at a free meal is taken especially small pets who make real easy meals.

This is why you really want a larger dog to protect your house and pets!  Doberman saves 

• Like 3

I read some of the writings by Dan florez,  one theory to them sounding off is a roll call . When the number get depleted ,the females have more pups , lots of researchers feel this is the reason that killing off the population of yotes never is succesful. He goes on to say that coyotes have no problem leaving the pack to go on their own when the pressure is too great . This is where wolves and yotes differ. Back when they decided to eliminate wolves, they could kill one of the pack and use that wolves scent to lure in the rest of the pack because they are so pack driven.

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

I read some of the writings by Dan florez,  one theory to them sounding off is a roll call . When the number get depleted ,the females have more pups , lots of researchers feel this is the reason that killing off the population of yotes never is succesful. He goes on to say that coyotes have no problem leaving the pack to go on their own when the pressure is too great . This is where wolves and yotes differ. Back when they decided to eliminate wolves, they could kill one of the pack and use that wolves scent to lure in the rest of the pack because they are so pack driven.

Personally I don't believe the theory:  (If you shoot to many coyotes they will just reproduce more.)  Can't reproduce if they are dead.  

• Like 2

idk why everyone hates coyotes so much. To me, being able to actually call one in and shoot it would be just as much of a trophy as shooting a nice buck. Definitely harder IMO. Seems most yotes in NY are shot incidentally while deer hunting.

• Like 7

Excuse the morning post I was on the kindle and didn't bother checking...but obviously the point was gotten

To the were just being coyotes... like I said just go back a few years and that wasn't the consensuses. It was they fear humans they don't pack up, unless a female with pups groups , they aren't all THAT big, they are ellusive animals yada yada yada..

So let me refresh what YOU posted...not Just a toy dog...but clearly stated they went after a pit bull and a HUMAN had to fight them off...give me just one freaking break on this coyote BS...they are NOT the coyotes they were when they first showed up and as I said would happen and was happening they are getting more and more aggressive. They have radically increased their territory AND comfort zones and they are pack more often and moving in more hours of the day during human activity...wake up

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, growalot said:

They are literally " big business" as it were, for several guys in these upstate areas...There's nothing incidental about the coyotes piled in the back of some guys trucks.

Right, those guys have a special talent to be able to call like that for major success. More talent than most deer hunters.

This is what happens when someone speaks about an area they are ...wait for it...CLUELESS about...That's probably why you never read me saying anything about down state, the Adirondacks or the Niagara area...Though 8 goes from lake Ontario to the PA border and I have lived and hunted from the Avon area down to Alfred ...have family farmers and logging company owners from Avon to Wellsville. what do I know:rolleyes:

While archery hunting in the Catskills I have seen a number of adult yotes  following one and another on the same trail heading the  same direction. Have also heard a number of them them howling from the same area at night. Had trail cam pictures of a group of them in the same spot at the same time. Hmmm.

idk why everyone hates coyotes so much. To me, being able to actually call one in and shoot it would be just as much of a trophy as shooting a nice buck. Definitely harder IMO. Seems most yotes in NY are shot incidentally while deer hunting.
I'm with you biz....yotes are the smartest animal in our woods...when you call in and shoot a yote there is a feeling of accomplishment at beating him.

If you feel that way about hunting them you should try trapping. When you get them to step on a 3in square in the middle of a field beating him in every way.....its amazing.

Yotes get a bad wrap bc they kill a few deer...some places do have population issues but many people who think they do i think just exaggerate. And people who think they do or don't want to should find a local trapper they can put a hurting on the population and push them off the land. I have to open more and more land yearly to catch them as they move on....and not for a lack of food either we have tons of that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Right, those guys have a special talent to be able to call like that for major success. More talent than most deer hunters.
Those hunters don't have much skill their dogs do....they just run them to exhaustion and walk up and shoot....effective yes skilled huntsman nope

• Like 1

This is what happens when someone speaks about an area they are ...wait for it...CLUELESS about...That's probably why you never read me saying anything about down state, the Adirondacks or the Niagara area...Though 8 goes from lake Ontario to the PA border and I have lived and hunted from the Avon area down to Alfred ...have family farmers and logging company owners from Avon to Wellsville. what do I knowdefault_rolleyes.gif

Grow in going to say this as nice as I can....i have hunted the fingerlakes my entire life from Canandaigua Bristol Cheshire Bloomfield hemlock area hornell cohocton naples Middlesex alma Alfred wellsville Geneva Waterloo Victor areas plus more I'm sure I'm forgetting. There is not a major coyote issue in those areas never has been I've been hunting and trapping it for last 20 years (I know you have too plus some). If you have yote issues on your land it's because you have done nothing to push them off (allow trappers dog runners coyote callers ect). This falls squarely to you. They must feel safe there.

Sure some areas do have issue in sure especially around city's where hunting and trapping are limited and stray cats ect make for easy meals. I know of guys in fingerlakes who catch 100 plus y0tes a year up there but trap over 100s of miles so that's less than 1 per square mile. There are steps landowners can take to help move them out and even reduce population we have done it successfully over last 4 years on my hill top with adjoining land owners. It works we are lucky to get 1 pic a month now and have a very healthy animal population.

Again I'm sure some areas have it worse than others but most of the landowners complaining is because they have never taken steps to get them out and now have an abundance of them. Won't happen over night

• Like 3