We'll this doesnt look good.

erussell

I agree with with the idea that every hunter should be subjected to some sort of refresher recertification.

Convinced the DEC will go about it the wrong way, but a good idea all the same.

Not to high-jack your post, but should be the same for drivers licenses.

It will turn into a money maker for the state, the hunters will drop off like flies..................................................and DEC will not be able to keep up with the poachers.

By the sounds of it, it appears the upland/waterfowler hunters had most of the incidents.

FDXX75

"Although this year's total  was higher (40) than the average of 38 (incidents) for the decade, it  was still well below the average of 66 incidents per year from the  1990s, and 137 incidents per year during the 1960s."

In reality, it was a normal year for hunting in NY.  Nothing unusual that would require any changes in regulations.  It was a big difference from the prior year though.  But one year doesn't make a trend.

Safety is of the utmost importance, but more hoops for the average hunter to jump through will not sell more hunting licenses, it will cause a big decline.

"In addition, one individual shot himself in the foot for the second time in recent years."

You have to be kidding me.....not to make light of this but maybe Darwins was really on to something with his Natural Selection view. Unbelievable!!

I know I kind of chuckled and said how the heck, oh never mind I know people who are capable of doing that. :D 

"In addition, one individual shot himself in the foot for the second time in recent years."

You have to be kidding me.....not to make light of this but maybe Darwins was really on to something with his Natural Selection view. Unbelievable!!

I had seen the report before . The guy had a rope tied to the trigger guard .  ??? .. ??? .. ???

as for retraining , how much Hunter Safety can you cram down one's throat ? The Archery safety was more of what the Gun Safety was all about and most of it is COMMON SENSE ! Testing folks for common sense would be more appropriate ! alt=my sidehttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/2cents.gif[/img]

Guy's just remember more people get injured or die playing football every year. I could add more sports to the list but it would be too long. Hunting is much safer than just about any other sport. But just have one hunting accident and its on the News. Look at how many people die driving every year about 40,000 per year where is the outrage?

Dave

• Like 1

It will turn into a money maker for the state, the hunters will drop off like flies..................................................and DEC will not be able to keep up with the poachers.

By the sounds of it, it appears the upland/waterfowler hunters had most of the incidents.

FDXX75

i agree!

it would turn into a big money making scam... although a good idea for a refresher i can see hunter dropping in numbers and poaching going up as well. You have to take the good in with the bad i guess

I think any obsticels you put on hunters will hurt hunting in general. With the numbers going down with out any new regulations adding a refresher would only encourage some  hunters to give up on the sport all together. Why hunt if there is refresher courses , antler restrictions, increased fees for dmp's and increases in hunting license fees. The only one to benefit is the STATE.

Dave

All I saw mentioned was " An Online refresher course" in safety....Hopefully it would not be a requirement for the issuing of a license.....

Some states have never required hunter safety training or previous hunting experience for people born before a certain date...Some require  only previous hunting experience...

Are people that have hunted for years and years likely to become LESS safety conscious... ??? .. I doubt it... For every one who is becoming  less safe, there are probably dozens who are more safety concious than they were when they were younger and more eager to kill something... If dementia is an issue, re-training isn't going to make any difference anyway...

Mandatory recertification has to be one of the STUPIDIST ideas I have ever heard, and I suspect that there is no evidence to support the idea that it would do any good...  I am sure that if it were ever required, many good, old hunters would just give up hunting and spend more time fishing, playing golf, or something else, which would be a damn shame..

I dont think a online refresher would be a bad idea (no cost that is). But i am not sure the individuals that really need it would bother unless it was tied into getting your license. However at that point it makes it one more hoop to jump through and another why bother issue.

You cant fix stupid.

All I saw mentioned was " An Online refresher course" in safety....Hopefully it would not be a requirement for the issuing of a license.....

Some states have never required hunter safety training or previous hunting experience for people born before a certain date...Some require  only previous hunting experience...

Are people that have hunted for years and years likely to become LESS safety conscious... ??? .. I doubt it... For every one who is becoming  less safe, there are probably dozens who are more safety concious than they were when they were younger and more eager to kill something... If dementia is an issue, re-training isn't going to make any difference anyway...

Mandatory recertification has to be one of the STUPIDIST ideas I have ever heard, and I suspect that there is no evidence to support the idea that it would do any good...  I am sure that if it were ever required, many good, old hunters would just give up hunting and spend more time fishing, playing golf, or something else, which would be a damn shame..

Pygmy.. respectively you are wrong on most counts.

All states except South Carolina have Mandatory Hunter Safety. Many western states insist thaat your home state certification program is compatible to theirs. Some States and Canadian provinces don't care how long you been hunting, they require a Hunter Safetry Certification, and some cannot be more than 10 years old. According to Safety Statistics the group of hunters with the most accidents are those that have 15 to 25 years experience - yes, because they become complacent and safety. Years ago the most unsafest group of hunters were those 60 and older.. because they were grand-fathered and did not have to take a Hunter Ed course.  Mandatory Online Re-Certification is a step in the right direction. Regarding no evidence to support the value of Hunter Education!!!???? What kind of statement is that???!!! The numbers don't lie Hunter Education has reduced the number of acidents dramatically over the last 50 years.

My apologies I do not mean any disrepect but your remarks are way off base.

I am a Hunter Education Instructor and had been an NRA Rifle & Pistol Marksmanship instructor for almost 30 years.

Well no  refresher for driving a car... unless you get a ticket. Perhaps a class for those who get ticketed/fined? I don't see how the logistics will work for an online course or test... And hunter ed class is getting longer and longer.. I really see a point of diminishing returns, most gun safety is commonsence, as for learning to identify game in the field that should be stressed more...

if I judge suspends ir revokes your hunting priveleges you have to retake a class now before you can hunt again.  That is the same as if you get convicted of enough driving infractions or a dwi which is a crime not an infraction. 

Like it or not, I don't really think that NYS has the resources to handle any large-scale re-testing. The way I hear it there is not exactly an over-abundance of instructors now as it is. It's just possible that you would wind up with excessively long waiting lists just to find available courses. How do you suppose that might affect the already shrinking hunter numbers?