NY Bowhunters Unite!

RangerClay

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another thought- would you impose any safety factors with tree stands? The kid I mentored was only allowed to hunt from ladder stands 12' high using a safety vest at all times. Not to put more regs on the process, we want the kids out there! Just your thoughts.

Just another thought- would you impose any safety factors with tree stands? The kid I mentored was only allowed to hunt from ladder stands 12' high using a safety vest at all times. Not to put more regs on the process, we want the kids out there! Just your thoughts.

Dayum Burt , I have mixed feelings on this . I can just see a parent demanding that the kid wear a harness while he doesn't wear one . Preach safety and then not follow it .

It makes me think of the bicyclists where you see a mom or dad riding with the kids . The kids wear helmets but the parent doesn't . DUMB !!! I was always told to lead by example .......

That treestand rule sounds reasonable

I think 12 is a good minimum age for all around hunting, any weapon, along with parent or guardian supervision. I think 12 shoud be the "maximum" minimum age. I don't think a child less than that in age, fully grasps the responsibility or the seriousness of mortality at a younger age. A lot depends on the child, there are some 12 year olds that are more mature than some 14 year olds, and the other way around.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd rather see a kid that's twelve bow hunting than gun hunting...in fact I think all gun hunters should have to start out as bow hunters first...JMO...but God it just flips my stomach when I see 5 yr olds with a gun bigger than them standing next to any game...There is a limit to how young kids should be introduced into a killing situation...let them start out killing a few fish first....when I see a 5yr old I'm still looking at a baby

I let my 11 year old girl know that next year if she liked she could bow hunt. Her eyes lit up! The problem is my 7 year old is more into the hunting thing than the 12 year old, she is going to give us a lot of shiiit for the next 5 years...............

With gun huting treestands are not permitted with or without parent, i remember seeing violations posted last fall of kids hunting out of stands..illegal under the gun laws..can't say if it will be in this bow proposal as well. I'm still for the bill just follow it..

This bill has gone to the Codes Committee.  Steve has listed a few of the members above.  Here is the entire list.  Be sure to start with Joe Lentol.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/comm/?sec=mem&id=7

12 year olds hunting, supervised by a lic hunter/parent, now explain to me why there is even a discussion on this??? lets look at at states that have very strong hunting traditions and alot less threat from anti hunting groups and don't have the shrinking hunting numbers we have, and you will see they all have their kids out hunting alot sooner than we do..

why the hell do you think peta and other similar groups cry and bitch about these lower age limit laws so much, because they know damn well when you get a kid into something at an early age he/she is more likely to stick with it for life....peta don't care if it's a 10 year old or a 45 yr old putting the smack down on a deer. they just want 10 yr olds playing video games killing people so they won't develop an interest in killing deer, simple HUH?

The New York State Senate and Assembly recently passed a bill (S177/A2021) that would allow junior bowhunters to hunt big game at 12 years of age.  This bill was just sent to Governor Cuomo for his signature.  Please contact the Governor’s office and urge him to sign S177/A2021 into law.    Contact by phone; (518) 474-8390. (see below for talking points)  You can also send your written comments via a Fax at (518) 474-3767 or a letter to the following address;

The Honorable Andrew M. Cuomo

Governor of the State of New York

The Capitol Building

Albany, NY 12224

Or e-mail  http://www.governor.ny.gov/contact/GovernorContactForm.php  (This brings you to an easy to fill out form. When you get to the "Comments" section, you can cut and paste below or write your own. Add your name after "Thank You" ).