NY Bowhunters Unite!

RangerClay

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should get our kids out as early as possible to expose them and teach them about our sport. Let's face it....on a blink of an eye we may not be around to do it. Our sportis very safe relative to every thing else they do. Do I want 12year olds wandering around unattended..probably not...but I am sure there are ones that could. This regulation is not about unsupervised kids being out there. I don't have a horse in this race but I would haveloved to had this opportunity growing up

<blockquote>  <blockquote>..

Baby 12yo hunting robots. [img alt=;)]http://huntingny.com/forums/Smileys/akyhne/sad.gif[/img]

</blockquote>   

Now they are babys?

How about get over yourself a little bit.

</blockquote>     

You're joking right? Turn on the Outdoor Channel, espn,MSN, YOUR LOCAL NEWS......

Our kids are being programmed to what this world is today and has gotten away from the way it was.

If that's cool with you, it's ok with me too.....let'em watch and learn from there.

Yup, I'm all about me. Me, me, me....

Wake up fellas, if you want to hunt in a playground that's your choice. In 2 yrs I'm not asking for all that much difference in mental maturity but a little more than what's being proposed.

What's the friggin rush. The last thing these kids have on their minds is the need to fill a freezer to supply for their futuristic families correct.

By that time they'll have bigger concerns than how to kill a deer.

I don't care either way, but believe me when your seasons are infringed upon, I'll be the last to listen to the boo-hoo BS of little boy blue my hunt. :'(

I'm 34 years old and personally never had a father figure to teach me to hunt or fish. That I learned from my uncle and grandfather. I have passed my love for this onto my tow boys. One will be 15 next month and the other just turned 11. My 14 year old got his first deer last year with a gun and went to school to show his pictures. Out of all the kids he knows only 3 have ever been hunting with thier dads. It's sad and I think young age is the time to do it b/c when they get into hs they will be tired up with sport, girls and then college. I was more excited when my kid got his first deer then I was when I got mine. There's something about teaching the kids the outdoors that I like. I always take my kids friends out in our boat fishing or hunting when I can. If the youth doesn't continue to hunt  the sport will be lost when we are gone.

New York State has the highest required age for young hunters, and I think that is a travesty...

In PA youngsters have always been able to hunt big game at 12, under supervison, and now they have a mentoring program with no minimum age, adult supervision required, of course...

Several states have no minimum age for a hunting license, and don't recall hearing of any rash of youth-caused accidents in any of them...

Many young people are mature enough to hunt at ten or even younger, under parental supervision...Hell, my Old Man turned me loose with a .22 on our family property when I was 10, and many of my contemporaries did the same...

I think it is critical to get kids involved in the outdoor sports at as early an age as possible, and the best way to do this is to allow them to actively participate... It's a downright CRIME to force a kid to wait until they are 14 or 16 years old to go hunting...

I'm not dead set against a minimum... 10 or even 12 would be acceptable.. Some kids are mature enough to hunt under supervison at 10, some might take a couple more years.. Require adult supervision the first couple of years and let the parents decide when thier kids are mature enough to hunt....

I know a lot is on our minds lately with our State Government but something has passed that is worth noting.  Our State Senate has passed bill S177A that would lower the age to archery hunt from age 14 to age 12.  If you truly believe that quality time with our kids is time spent in the woods then I urge you to contact your Assemblyman to support S177A.

Back to the original post:

12 years old for a kid to experience bow hunting? I vote yes.

Period-no other BS attached.

<blockquote>  <blockquote>..

Baby 12yo hunting robots. [img alt=;)]http://huntingny.com/forums/Smileys/akyhne/sad.gif[/img]

</blockquote>   

Now they are babys?

How about get over yourself a little bit.

</blockquote>     

You're joking right? Turn on the Outdoor Channel, espn,MSN, YOUR LOCAL NEWS......

Our kids are being programmed to what this world is today and has gotten away from the way it was.

If that's cool with you, it's ok with me too.....let'em watch and learn from there.

Yup, I'm all about me. Me, me, me....

Wake up fellas, if you want to hunt in a playground that's your choice. In 2 yrs I'm not asking for all that much difference in mental maturity but a little more than what's being proposed.

What's the friggin rush. The last thing these kids have on their minds is the need to fill a freezer to supply for their futuristic families correct.

By that time they'll have bigger concerns than how to kill a deer.

I don't care either way, but believe me when your seasons are infringed upon, I'll be the last to listen to the boo-hoo BS of little boy blue my hunt. :'(

Are you in favor of taking the ability to gun hunt small game away from them and raise that age?

There should be a competency test to make sure a 12 year old could at least draw and shoot a 35# bow and hit the target . I believe 35# is still the minimum weight allowed in NYS . If the 12 year old passes the safety test and bow test , he / she gets certified .

And before it's asked , it wouldn't bother me if I had to take the test with a bow at 60 or 70 # draw weight and hit a target . They have that requirement in place in Irondiquoit in order to cull the deer herd in the village .

I'm sure that a 12 year old sitting with his old man or within eye shot while he learns to hunt doesn't pose a great threat on anyone... especially during bow season... hence the reaosn for parental supervision... it isn't like there are going to be large masses of 12 and 13 year old kids running willy nilly through the woods all across New York State... it's a chance to get them legitimately exposed to the hunting experience with a chance for their own harvest...that harvest is probably what will really anchor them toward being a future

hunter... just sitting around and watching even gets boring for us adults. As long as I'm not dressed as some wild fantasy world ninja...and the kid isn't armed with the latest and greatest video game controller.. I think I'll be plenty safe enough  ;)

There should be a competency test to make sure a 12 year old could at least draw and shoot a 35# bow and hit the target . I believe 35# is still the minimum weight allowed in NYS . If the 12 year old passes the safety test and bow test , he / she gets certified .

And before it's asked , it wouldn't bother me if I had to take the test with a bow at 60 or 70 # draw weight and hit a target . They have that requirement in place in Irondiquoit in order to cull the deer herd in the village .

my 14 year old at 6'4" , 235lbs pulls a 60lb bow and I make sure he is sighted in up to 25 yards and he darn well knows not to shoot pass that or else he'll deal with me, lol

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S177A-2011

Yays 53 / Nays 7. Passed Senate on its way to the DEC.

That may be a bit like depending on the postal service to deliver a heart transplant but I'm impressed by the votes.

Also posted about this on the Pathfinder site, we get well over 1k hits a month. This will help get the word out to other clubs, CNY friends of the NRA, the clubs youth programs etc.

my 14 year old at 6'4" , 235lbs pulls a 60lb bow and I make sure he is sighted in up to 25 yards and he darn well knows not to shoot pass that or else he'll deal with me, lol

Npt sure how big you are Stretch...but you might want to get a couple A$$ whoppins in while you can...lol

Npt sure how big you are Stretch...but you might want to get a couple A$$ whoppins in while you can...lol

LOL, I'm only 6'2" and 210lbs but he knows better.

My mother was only 5'-3" and about 120# but she use t tell me and I quote- "Always remember, You have to go to sleep sometime"....funny thing was...I knew she meant it...lol

We need to get our youth into this sport, they are the future of it. Our numbers are dwindleing fast. I would much rather take a kid hunting & fishing instead of them sitting around playing video games & watching T.V.  Some kids can handle it & some not but we should be able to figure this out by the time they take their hunting courses & hold the ones that are not ready yet back until they get it. I do not belive some of the 6-7 yr.olds we see on some of the tv hunting shows are ready & should not be in the woods! That to me is stupid!

Looks like Wooly's hunting is gonna get ruined!  ;D

Lol, rats!

Maybe I'll just get a Playstation and a few games myself for this season. :D

If it's any consolation, I didn't vote against it. :-\ :)

P

Take the the playstation and put it in the woods a mile or so from you to draw the little s'not nosewannabees away from your spot.............wait.........nevermind....that would be baiting...

Wow!  When started this I figured this topic was a no brainer.  For anyone to say that I shouldn't sit in a ground blind with my 12 year old daughter and teach her about the outdoors really needs to re-evaluate themselves.

Thank you FanTail for helping me spread the word.  The rest of you if you havn't yet, don't forget to write in.

Wow!  When started this I figured this topic was a no brainer.  For anyone to say that I shouldn't sit in a ground blind with my 12 year old daughter and teach her about the outdoors really needs to re-evaluate themselves.

I don't think anyone said that . A 12 year old should be supervised while hunting .

My take on a 12 year old being able to archery hunt is that the child should be able to draw and shoot a bow that is of legal poundage in order to hunt or be certified . I am betting a high percentage cannot . You would also  limit the distance of the shot with a 35" draw . Other than that , I don't care except .......... don't push the kid into hunting just because Daddy wants them to . It will turn the kid off real quick .

I think I was drawing damn near 55 at 12, 36 isn't that much weight to get back especially if the kid is shooting from a young age.

"My take on a 12 year old being able to archery hunt is that the child should be able to draw and shoot a bow that is of legal poundage in order to hunt or be certified."

It should be the same for any one that wants to hunt then, but its not. All you need to do is stop by the shooting portion of any hunter's ed course and you will see that play out.