New deer dropper

Billdogge

20 minutes ago, Billdogge said:

I think the brake and 120 grain will be ok but what do I know. If it doesn't I'll move on. Maybe next time I'll ask you first. 

What 120gr bullet do you have your eye on? 

The Barnes TTSX 130gr would have me interested if I didn't already grab the 150 Nosler's.

I think the brake and 120 grain will be ok but what do I know. If it doesn't I'll move on. Maybe next time I'll ask you first. 

That's a cool looking rig. Does it have a mag or floor plate? I would probably still be hunting with Kimber Adirondack if it had a magazine.

Break or not 6.5lb 308 will still kick unless downloading with light bullets.

My custom shop model 7 308 is downright uncomfortable to shoot and that's with a break. I cut the break off because It was too loud and I'm not wearing ear plugs while hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Billdogge said:

I also picked up a 6.5 Creedmoor Winchester XPR

I have zero experience with that cartridge but from all accounts it is gaining quite the following among target shooters and is starting to get a good foothold with hunters. It has a fine tuned case design developed especially for accuracy and target shooting at long range and ballistically pretty much the same as the 260 Remington. On paper it has a lot going for it along with light recoil, loaded with good bullets some believe it is the perfect Deer hunting cartridge.

Al

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Billdogge said:

I have a kit and hope to start reloading this winter

if you still want it softer shooting, look into the reduced recoil rounds. Once you get into reloading there are great options to reduce the recoil. For instance, I shoot a 308 Win in a hunting pistol and it is a pussycat to shoot. . 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

Personally, if looking for a low recoil deer rifle I would have selected a 7mm-08, or a .243 Winchester.  But what do I know.

Yup. My 7mm-08 is about as sweet shooting as they come as far as recoil goes. Shooting 140gr Nosler BT's, the last two bucks killed, dropped in their tracks and never twitched an ear. Even pre surgery on my shoulder last year, I could shoot a box of ammo, with no problem. JMO

Usually when Dinsdale speaks, I listen. He's one of the most knowledgeable hunters and shooters on here. And a pretty good guy to boot. Again, JMO.

• Like 1

WE put together one with the same or a little less recoil than the one grampy spoke about . Browning A Bolt SS action , Hart SS BBL. HV taper, H&S pillow bedded and glass bedded stock, Timmey trigger, in .260 caliber. Lupoild  steel scope rings. A tack driver . The closest thing to my 6mm PPC bench rest rifle. Sold the .308 5 years ago because of my bad left shoulder and now the right one is on the way out. I now have 60+ years of bows hanging up that I guess will just be wall hangers. 

So you take a 600$ hit in the ballz on a 7.5lb semi 06 then buy a 6.5lb 308 and post it on the same place you sold the 06 because it hurt you. Then get butt hurt when people who likely have way more experience than you let you know that you probably didn't go in the right direction if recoil is a concern.

Hey, if this one kicks too hard and you wanna take another 600$ shot to the ballz let me know I have been looking for a light 308 for my 9yr old daughter.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Should have a bought a weatherby, bang!

32 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Should have a bought a weatherby, bang!

Yeah...Those Weatherby mags are noted for light recoil....

• Like 2

Yeah...Those Weatherby mags are noted for light recoil....

I'm barely 170lbs and badly separated shoulder. Never had an issue with shooting in a T Shirt. 7MM WBY Mag. Then again, it takes 3 shots a year to be spot on out to 450yds.

Shooting guns for fun is boring. I only take a few shots to make sure guns are still on