Tomorrow Is Opening Day, What Gun 4U?

Lawdwaz

Browning A-bolt synthetic Stalker in 7 Rem Mag.  150 grain soft point Federals.  3x9 Bushnell Elite on top.  It's weather proof, accurate, has sentimental value, and plenty of good juju.  I know it's alot of gun for whitetails, but none of the bucks I've shot with it complained!

If I get the itch, I may put a new scope on my grandfather's Savage 99 in .250-3000 and carry that on a dry day or two.  We'll see.  

5 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

722 in 257, I'm drooling. Got any pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's not sighted in as the scope (vintage Leupold VariX II 2x7) came back last year from a fluff & buff in Oregon and was mounted but not dialed in.  I have a box of (GULP) factory Federal Premium 120 grain Partitions left from past paper punching and will get it on paper tomorrow in case I get a wild hair or somebody else needs to use it.  The rings must be medium height and I'd prefer lows but they'll be fine.

Here you go.......

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 7

That's a beauty!!  Whatever you do don't let Buckmaster borrow it.  He'll circumsize the barrel to 16 inches for sure!!   LOL
o
O

You got that right!

Some dumb 16yr old kid I knew "me" had a mint 722 in 300savage and traded it in on a new 750 auto that was a total pos! Oh I would love to have that one back!

On 9/2/2017 at 5:39 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

Winchester ML stuffed with these and 100 grains of 777. Bushnell Elite 3200 firefly 3x9. With the born on date of 1978 Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 riding in the new Kenai chest rig I just ordered. Iron sights. 240 grain handrolled hp's from a very good shooter and reloader who I bought the gun from  Gent owns a few state records and knows this gun  Looking for my 2nd deer with it this year   Rest of season will be the same with Springfield 1898 30-40 krag getting the nod a few times  Would really like to tip one over with that gun  Heck , just saw one on display in Smithsonian which was cool  

IMG_6744.JPG

just XTP's in a new wrapper......  Good bullet but watch how they sometimes don't expand.  LOL.  Still its hitting a deer with a freight train.  I've done better with Harvester bullets (Scorpion).  Truly designed for ML hunters, not an adapted pistol bullet like most others.  Anyway, that is my $0.02.  Good luck.  

At muzzloader velocities you'll be hard pressed to find to many bullets that perform better then the xtp. You can get them cheaper by buying bulk and buy your own sabots from harvester or mmp. It was my go to bullet before using the Speer deep curls bullet.

At muzzloader velocities you'll be hard pressed to find to many bullets that perform better then the xtp. You can get them cheaper by buying bulk and buy your own sabots from harvester or mmp. It was my go to bullet before using the Speer deep curls bullet.

I'm not sure if this is a serious post? Xtp's are very well known not to expand on impact unless large bone is struck I could go dig a few out of my backstop in the back yard and show you that they don't even expand when they hit clay.

That being said they shoot well and are still a .451 bullet so expansion isn't needed for quickly killing critters. I have had very good luck with Barnes xpb's before that I was shooting the .451 nosler partition 260gn, they worked very well as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I'm not sure if this is a serious post? Xtp's are very well known not to expand on impact unless large bone is struck I could go dig a few out of my backstop in the back yard and show you that they don't even expand when they hit clay.

That being said they shoot well and are still a .451 bullet so expansion isn't needed for quickly killing critters. I have had very good luck with Barnes xpb's before that I was shooting the .451 nosler partition 260gn, they worked very well as well.

I think what I was trying to say nicely is that XTP's would be bottom of my list for deer hunting......  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eagle rider said:

Either one of these old two girls will do just fine......  BAR's Mk I' 30-06 (1968 and 1970) with new Zeiss glass.  Print tight to 200 yds with Winchester Deer Season XP 150's.  The 68 was my grandfather's he bought it when he made Lt. in the City.

IMG_4650.jpg

IMG_4653.jpg

Great shooting at 200 and from a semi.  Nice!

• Like 1

I

30 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

It was a very serious post, the xtp Mag doesn't expand nearly as well at muzzloader velocities. Those are 44 cal bullets, the .452 250-300 xtp has probably killed more deer than any other bullet by a long shot .

Edited by sbuff

I
It was a very serious post, the xtp Mag doesn't expand nearly as well at muzzloader velocities. That said xtp has probably killed more deer than any other bullet by a long shot .

The 30-30 has killed a bunch of deer, that's doesn't make it the best deer cartridge.

I want a bullet to do the most possible damage in the deer and that isn't the xtp's forte.

17 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The 30-30 has killed a bunch of deer, that's doesn't make it the best deer cartridge.

I want a bullet to do the most possible damage in the deer and that isn't the xtp's forte.

XTP, and TC Shockwaves don't really expand much at all.  I like the Harvester bullets a lot, great terminal performance on whitetails.  The Hornady SST muzzleloader Bullets are okay as are the Barnes Sabots.  

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I hope to add one more to that list this fall, with my new Marlin 336BL and 150 gr Federal Soft point FN Power Shok ammo.  The dealer threw in a couple boxes with the deal.  The 170's might be a tad better for deer and certainly for bear, but the recoil is barely notable with the 150's.  Recoil never bothered me, buy my older daughter may give it a try.   She is trying out for the high-school rifle team this winter, so maybe she will be ready for a little deer hunting next fall.   If not, then my next ammo purchase for it will be more 170 gr.    

not exactly.  the Polymer tip on the shockwave is a different polymer (much softer) per TC tech support and that might be why they don't expand as well, but they tips don't deform when seating them either.  I have found that shockwaves leave wound channels that promote a lot of tissue damage whereas SST ML rounds do.  Bottom line, for me nothing performs as good as the Harvester Scorpion.  But shoot what you want to.  I just got tired of looking for deer.  I switched to Harvesters and when the smoke clears, they are pretty much laying where they stood.  With a magnum charge of White Hots in my TC Prohunter and a 260 gr Scorpion bullet , you can slide a coke can into the exit hole.  

14 hours ago, sbuff said:

You contradicted your self,the SST muzzloader and the TC shock wave are the same bullet. Hornady makes them for TC. The blue tip shock wave is better then yellow as the blue is a bonded bullet, but still made by hornady

not exactly.  the Polymer tip on the shockwave is a different polymer (much softer) per TC tech support and that might be why they don't expand as well, but they tips don't deform when seating them either.  I have found that shockwaves leave wound channels that promote a lot of tissue damage whereas SST ML rounds do.  Bottom line, for me nothing performs as good as the Harvester Scorpion.  But shoot what you want to.  I just got tired of looking for deer.  I switched to Harvesters and when the smoke clears, they are pretty much laying where they stood.  With a magnum charge of White Hots in my TC Prohunter and a 260 gr Scorpion bullet , you can slide a coke can into the exit hole.  

16 hours ago, eagle rider said:

I think what I was trying to say nicely is that XTP's would be bottom of my list for deer hunting......  

Ballz   Reviews on line were really good too. And to be honest I one lunged a buck last year that immediately bed down 30 yards from where I shot him. Looked like he was down and then jumped and went 1000 yards opposite my drag route. No blood in that bed and once he jumped he started to throw some.  It was gun season and caught up to him. He still had that buck mentality and bed down again in goldenrod with his nose into the wind. Caught him putting his head up and put a .44 through his neck and 'then' game over. Maybe I'll go more front shoulder than heart/lungs shot and hope to anchor him/her a little better  Things do shoot great groups though but that ain't everything