What is acceptable accuracy?

Buckmaster7600

29 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yes, odds inside of 20yds should be very high for any ethical archer. But are you saying that you won't shoot one at say 23yds or 27yds, or 31yds? if so, that seems crazy to me. I'm talking about an unalerted broadside shot.

I was under the impression (from this forum) that shooting a compound is tough. I only shoot once a week, but I could have been proficient at 25yds within a day or two of shooting for the first time. Going a step further, with a single pin, the only difference between 25yds and 45yds is what number your sight is cranked to.

Shooting targets is usually pretty easy.....probably more then one excellent target shooter on this site who has been left scratching his head after missing a deer under 20 yards....whole other ballgame when it comes to shooting at a live target in the woods.

• Like 2

The Remingtons, Winchesters, Rugers, Brownings, Savages, etc. are typically chambered for cartridges that were not designed by Weatherby, but that doesn't mean the others are not good or won't kill game because they surely will.  In fact, I'd bet they have killed more game than the Weatherby's which are more expensive to buy and shoot.

Expensive to shoot? I only shoot before a trip out west. Who shoots for fun? Sounds boring AF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Expensive to shoot? I only shoot before a trip out west. Who shoots for fun? Sounds boring AF.

It may not be fun for you, but most people prefer to practice at least a bit before they go out west to hunt where the shots can be long.  Just because it's a Weatherby doesn't mean it will connect if the shooter doesn't do his part.  Even shooting at closer ranges here in the east one can easily screw up on.  The more you shoot the better you will be.

Edited by steve863

6 minutes ago, steve863 said:

It may not be fun for you, but most people prefer to practice at least a bit before they go out west to hunt where the shots can be long.  Just because it's a Weatherby doesn't mean it will connect if the shooter doesn't do his part.  Even shooting at closer ranges here in the east one can easily screw up on.  The more you shoot the better you will be.

Yes, but when I know I'm not going back for a few years I don't shoot for fun.

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC-- 93YARDS IF INSIDE A 12" PIE PLATE

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I was under the impression (from this forum) that shooting a compound is tough. I only shoot once a week, but I could have been proficient at 25yds within a day or two of shooting for the first time. Going a step further, with a single pin, the only difference between 25yds and 45yds is what number your sight is cranked to.

I'd say bows 20+ years ago were a bit harder to be good with. The newer ones ain't so bad from 20 yards. After that is when the lack of tuning and poor form kick in and it only magnifies the further back you go. Once you shoot from farther back you will see, a minor mistake turns into a big fat miss. Also getting back In line with the thread, some folks are fine with larger groups and some aren't. From 20 I feel I should be able to be close to robin hooding an arrow most shots. Some groups I see here I would be wrapping my bow around a tree if I did it but again I hold my standards different from them. Doesn't make me able to kill a deer any deader than them. 

• Like 1

Wait a second Biz, didn't you miss one with the cross bow the first or second year? How is that possible? Lol

Several years ago, I missed a buck in CT with xbow. I had no time to range him and thought he was 35. Shot right under him. Then used rangefinder to tree he was standing next to and he was actually like 43-45. I don't remember off the top of my head but I want to the day drop between those distances was at least 10". Nothing to do with proficiency just a matter of me guessing wrong on the distance

Isn't knowing or estimating your yardage part of proficiency?  Come on Biz, this stuff is EASY.

Shooting is easy but 8-10yds difference out that far is a big drop. I can only imagine the drop on my compound which is like 100fps even slower. Too bad weatherby doesn't make a 3,200fps compound.

No excuses tho, it was my pathetic blunder. Should have just held on top of back to play it safe.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Shooting is easy but 8-10yds difference out that far is a big drop. I can only imagine the drop on my compound which is like 100fps even slower. Too bad weatherby doesn't make a 3,200fps compound.

No excuses tho, it was my pathetic blunder. Should have just held on top of back to play it safe.

Hoyt is the closest thing to a Weatherby in bows. I have eye estimated mine to be clocking in at 400fps with a 500 grn arrow. 

I don't even aim, just pull back and let it rip. Dead deer. 

• Like 2

Hoyt is the closest thing to a Weatherby in bows. I have eye estimated mine to be clocking in at 400fps with a 500 grn arrow. 
I don't even aim, just pull back and let it rip. Dead deer. 

I'm at 240fps, but anything inside of 30yds is dunzo. Perfect double lung alignment from the ground.

I want a 1 inch group but past 50 my groups start to get larger than I would accept for hunting at this point.   Most of my practice is within 10-50 yards and I can usually put the arrow within 2-3 inches less if on even flat ground.  * When my form is good and I don't crack under the presser, lol.  Back and neck issues causing me to possibly lower my limit to 40 yards using my first 32 yard pin as the main pin for hunting.  

Basically its up to the hunter.  Simply put some guys can't shoot well or have time to practice or even the motivation.  Main thing is to always try to improve your proficiency so even a mishap results in a good clean ethical shot. 

My nerves get the best of me more when I have time to set the shot up and sometimes results in not thinking about other important things like distance, now I always estimate distances and use the range finder when in stand, still hunting I will do the same every time I stop.  Rifle I don't bring it with me as most shots are less than 80 yards.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I consider a weatherby a decent gun. I do not even consider brands like Remington, Winchester, etc. to be "decent"

I wonder how many Weatherby rifles have ever been used by military marksman?

Or competitive bench rest shooters?

Just curious..............

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

No clue. I only called them decent nothing more

More importantly you said the Weatherby was decent and Remington and Winchester were not decent.

Don't tell the guys that use them for a living..................staking their life on them.

Edited by Lawdwaz

4 hours ago, beachpeaz said:

And the misquoting continues.  I never said a 1" group was possible at 1,000 yards.  You should go back an actually read what I posted. 

So, since I'm repeating this again, I will say that the original comment made by someone was that a 1" group at 250 yards is NOT possible.  EVERY SINGLE comment I have made has been based on that premise.

So, yes, people in here are out of touch with reality if they think you can't shoot a 1" group at 250 yards. 

Sorry, my bad. You actually said "Do you think a sniper plans on missing by more than an 1" at even 1,000 yards? "

which means you clearly think snipers in the field are getting sub 2" groups on targets in battle @ 1000 yards. This is demonstrably false.

• Like 2

I agree with the practicing until it is just natural and you don't have to hardly even think about hitting where you want. But, and it is a big but, you need to be able to keep your composure when a deer is in sight and coming your way. I see a ton of guys that can shoot awesome in the leagues and 3D shoots, but can never get a deer, and miss easy shots every year because they fall to pieces as soon as a deer comes.

I don't want to take the excitement away, but there comes a time when you have to relax, and let your form take over. That is the biggest hurdle for a lot of bow hunters.

More importantly you said the Weatherby was decent and Remington and Winchester were not decent.
Don't tell the guys that use them for a living..................staking their life on them.

Isn't that just because of mass production and cost reasons?

1 hour ago, NFA-ADK said:

Basically its up to the hunter.  Simply put some guys can't shoot well or have time to practice or even the motivation.  Main thing is to always try to improve your proficiency so even a mishap results in a good clean ethical shot. 

I like this idea, and think much the same way.  If I shoot 20 arrows in a practice session, I only really pay attention to my worst shot.  That is most likely the one you will make on a deer.  If my worst shot is on the edge of 4" circle, then I feel okay.  

It is up the hunter.  I limit myself quite a bit.  Wounding and losing a deer sucks to the point of making me want to quit bow hunting.  All I can do is shoot every day, and know my limits.

Here's to the whole process of bow hunting.  Short blood trails everyone.

• Like 4

I keep hearing people talking about practice and I honestly think practice can make you or break you as an archer. There is such a thing as bad practice and unfortunately I think most archery hunters practice wrong. Shooting the same target at the same distances after your bow is tuned and sighted in is no longer good practice. I also think for hunters the guys who go out and shoot 10+ arrows a session aren't doing themselves any favors either.

My training regiment has been the same for a few years now and this year I took it to the next level as I have not shot more than 1 arrow in a session since around the 20th of August. I try to take my shot 1st thing in the morning or at last legal light and I have shot from everywhere from below the target to extreme angles from 5-100yds.

Once your bow is set and ready I honestly believe that less is more when it comes to practice.

• Like 2