Distance from tree stand to kill zone

HuntOrBeHunted

What initially lured me to bowhunting was the fact that it is an up-close-and-personal kind of hunting. I really don't do anything to change that aspect of it. I am in it for the quality of the hunt and the excitement and challenge and  the best way to achieve all of that is by getting shots where you could almost reach out and touch the deer. That's the kind of bowhunt that stands out most in my memories. For me it is not a test of marksmanship. I satisfied that itch years ago on NFAA archery courses and tournament shooting. Now it is all focused on the woodsmanship and actual "hunting" ability required to get next to wildlife and learn their movements and fool their senses to get those amazing close shots. If that all doesn't work out, there is always gun season to reach out and touch someone and get revenge for the ones that simply would not come into range...lol. Why cheat yourself out of those amazing close encounters by shooting a deer that is 30 or 40 or 50 yards away? 20 yards is really good, and 5 yards is great!

My favorite bowhunt was the one where a doe came straight to the huge tree I was using as a blind, and I had to actually move around the tree as she went around the other side of the tree before I could actually take the shot. That's the hunt that had the adrenaline really pumping. That was the greatest hunt of my lifetime!

• Like 1

Right beneath me, nothing like having a deer walk right in on you and be right under your stand. I love getting shots like those I aim for the middle of the spine right between the middle of the should blades. Usually if I hit the spine the drop and bleed out if I'm a little left or right I take out the lung and heart exiting the bottom of the chest cavity with instant blood to where the deer died. O and they will usually die within eye sight.

How many of you take the straight down shot? Chas makes it sound appealing and almost an "ideal" shot(not judging- just asking)
I passed on many of those shot angles in the past. Always seem to me like a much smaller target looking straight down and the likelihood of hitting only one lung is high (long track, wounded deer, etc....then I need to PM grow after posting "smoked one" in the "live thread")

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

NEVER a straight down , a few yards out and with some angle yes and all dead insight.

Someone in our area shot straight down on a buck. He trotted past out of range through our woods with an arrow sticking straight up from his butt...It's a sight I won't forget, for the image of those little flags on sticks you see recumbent bikers and people in wheel chairs along the road using popped into my mind. Don't know what happened to him but I got down to see how much blood he was losing.. when I found a little I tracked him u til he went off the property, about a 1/4 mile.. not a lot of blood. Clearly unable to hit trees and unless he dropped and rolled or pulled it out it wasn't going any place. Not a nice image.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2017 at 6:53 AM, crappyice said:

How many of you take the straight down shot? Chas makes it sound appealing and almost an "ideal" shot(not judging- just asking)
I passed on many of those shot angles in the past. Always seem to me like a much smaller target looking straight down and the likelihood of hitting only one lung is high (long track, wounded deer, etc....then I need to PM grow after posting "smoked one" in the "live thread")emoji6.png

I have made the mistake if making the draught down shot... Shooting a 340fps IBO bow , I was overconfident in my ability to break the spike. I have heard numerous stories of people doing jyst that.. 

It didn't work for me.. it floored her.. and being over confident  I didn't immediately nock another arrow and shoot again. Instead i watched the small buck that had been chaseing her looking at her wondering what happened. A few seconds ( less than a minute)later she starts to stir. Before i can get set and shoot she is up and runs 50 yds away and lays down . Long story short. I emptied my quiver  trying to finish her off. But she was in the brush and too far , so I never touched her.. 

When i tried to track the blood trail was close to non existent.  I did manage to track her for 1/4 mile to no avail. I made a few mistakes here that I hope to never repeat. One of them is to never shoot straight down at a deer..

What initially lured me to bowhunting was the fact that it is an up-close-and-personal kind of hunting. I really don't do anything to change that aspect of it. I am in it for the quality of the hunt and the excitement and challenge and  the best way to achieve all of that is by getting shots where you could almost reach out and touch the deer. That's the kind of bowhunt that stands out most in my memories. For me it is not a test of marksmanship. I satisfied that itch years ago on NFAA archery courses and tournament shooting. Now it is all focused on the woodsmanship and actual "hunting" ability required to get next to wildlife and learn their movements and fool their senses to get those amazing close shots. If that all doesn't work out, there is always gun season to reach out and touch someone and get revenge for the ones that simply would not come into range...lol. Why cheat yourself out of those amazing close encounters by shooting a deer that is 30 or 40 or 50 yards away? 20 yards is really good, and 5 yards is great!
My favorite bowhunt was the one where a doe came straight to the huge tree I was using as a blind, and I had to actually move around the tree as she went around the other side of the tree before I could actually take the shot. That's the hunt that had the adrenaline really pumping. That was the greatest hunt of my lifetime!

This is the exact reason why hunter numbers are dropping at an alarming rate! To be honest I'm surprised and disappointed that it is coming from you doc.

So because someone doesn't hunt they way you hunt or think hunting should be they aren't "actual HUNTING" and are "cheating themselves" comments like these make you no better than the "why did you shoot that 2yr old" club.

If you're doing it legally/ safely and although I despise this term "ethically" all the power to you and enjoy the greatest pastime!

• Like 1

Lanes are set up mostly for 10 to 20 with maybe 1 or 2 lanes out to 30 yards if it's open enough which it usually is not where I set up (on the edges between thick stuff and impenetrable stuff).

All my archery bucks were inside 15 yards. Most of my whitetail harvests inside 25, only a couple around 30.

That said if I'm paying attention I usually spot leg or head movement anywhere from 80-100 yards out...again in cover not open woods.

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

This is the exact reason why hunter numbers are dropping at an alarming rate! To be honest I'm surprised and disappointed that it is coming from you doc.

So because someone doesn't hunt they way you hunt or think hunting should be they aren't "actual HUNTING" and are "cheating themselves" comments like these make you no better than the "why did you shoot that 2yr old" club.

If you're doing it legally/ safely and although I despise this term "ethically" all the power to you and enjoy the greatest pastime!

What you are complaining about is an opinion, which last time I knew, I am entitled to have. I am not telling anyone to do anything. I am merely suggesting that up close and personal is something that is losing ground in bowhunting anymore and that I personally enjoy that aspect of bowhunting. I'm sorry if that concept offends you, but that is a personal preference of mine which I hope I am still entitled to express. 

I also should mention that I never entered the word "ethically" into my comment. Nor did I talk at all about legality or safety. I am not sure where your imagination conjured up any of that in my comment. Try not to attempt to read more into opinions than what is intended. Not everything needs to be considered some kind of offense. Consider the points in the reply, and forget about trying to manufacture some kind of controversy.

What you are complaining about is an opinion, which last time I knew, I am entitled to have. I am not telling anyone to do anything. I am merely suggesting that up close and personal is something that is losing ground in bowhunting anymore and that I personally enjoy that aspect of bowhunting. I'm sorry if that concept offends you, but that is a personal preference of mine which I hope I am still entitled to express. 
I also should mention that I never entered the word "ethically" into my comment. Nor did I talk at all about legality or safety. I am not sure where your imagination conjured up any of that in my comment. Try not to attempt to read more into opinions than what is intended. Not everything needs to be considered some kind of offense. Consider the points in the reply, and forget about trying to manufacture some kind of controversy.

My post wasn't meant as a complaint and my feelings are certainly not hurt. Clearly my point wasn't well made. You absolutely have a right to an opinion, my post was simply let you know that your opinion came across condescending and judgmental of other hunters.

I'm aware that you didn't mention those terms, that's why I put them in a different paragraph, maybe next time I'll put them in a different post as not to confuse you.

Have a good day Doc and I hope you have a great season and have many chances to smell a deers breath!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ncountry said:

I have made the mistake if making the draught down shot... Shooting a 340fps IBO bow , I was overconfident in my ability to break the spike. I have heard numerous stories of people doing jyst that.. 

It didn't work for me.. it floored her.. and being over confident  I didn't immediately nock another arrow and shoot again. Instead i watched the small buck that had been chaseing her looking at her wondering what happened. A few seconds ( less than a minute)later she starts to stir. Before i can get set and shoot she is up and runs 50 yds away and lays down . Long story short. I emptied my quiver  trying to finish her off. But she was in the brush and too far , so I never touched her.. 

When i tried to track the blood trail was close to non existent.  I did manage to track her for 1/4 mile to no avail. I made a few mistakes here that I hope to never repeat. One of them is to never shoot straight down at a deer..

I'd like to hear more about your bow ,340 is smoking fast ,especially with a heavy arrow for hunting.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

My post wasn't meant as a complaint and my feelings are certainly not hurt. Clearly my point wasn't well made. You absolutely have a right to an opinion, my post was simply let you know that your opinion came across condescending and judgmental of other hunters.

I'm aware that you didn't mention those terms, that's why I put them in a different paragraph, maybe next time I'll put them in a different post as not to confuse you.

Have a good day Doc and I hope you have a great season and have many chances to smell a deers breath

I have re-read my post, and see nothing condescending in there. It was simply an expression of my preferences to experience the excitement of getting close to the deer. Try not to look so hard for something to criticize, and just enjoy the conversation.

15 hours ago, ncountry said:

If you spine any deer always put another arrow in them! I forgot to add that to my post.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2017 at 6:53 AM, crappyice said:

I passed on many of those shot angles in the past. Always seem to me like a much smaller target looking straight down and the likelihood of hitting only one lung is high (long track, wounded deer, etc....then I need to PM grow after posting "smoked one" in the "live thread")emoji6.png

I know I'll get flamed for this but I have hit 1 lung straight down and with a center punched lung I have never tracked a deer more than 60 yards. 

13 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I'd like to hear more about your bow ,340 is smoking fast ,especially with a heavy arrow for hunting.

There are quite a few out there capable of 340fps  nowadays.  Mines an 14 obsession sniper gt. Great little bow.. 

Not having  orangutan arms. It shoots much less ..I think (if i remember correctly)actual speeds were just under 300 with a 425gr arrow.

Anyways. I try to set my stand up so that they pass 10-20 yds out.

15 minutes ago, ncountry said:

There are quite a few out there capable of 340fps  nowadays.  Mines an 14 obsession sniper gt. Great little bow.. 

Not having  orangutan arms. It shoots much less ..I think (if i remember correctly)actual speeds were just under 300 with a 425gr arrow.

Nice, I've read good things about the Obsession bows.

I read it as you were getting 340 out of your hunting setup, my bad

• Like 1